Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Has anyone put components in the back doors?

Old 02-07-2015, 02:19 AM
Question Has anyone put components in the back doors?

Hi guys,

So my good friends father owns a car/home audio store. I was offered a deal I couldn't decline on 2 sets of Infinity Kappa components for 170/pr. My question is has anyone put components in back doors and if so, I'd love to see where you "flush" mounted the tweeters. Pictures would be awesome too.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:58 AM
Sell the 2nd set.
Installing components in the rear doors is like buying a big brake kit for your rear wheels. There is nearly zero sonic benefit in cutting up your rear door cards just because you got a good deal on comps.

I don't even run rear speakers but if you must, grab a pair of inexpensive coaxials for the rears if you like a bit of fill or if you have rear seat passengers. Concentrate on the fronts, and a sub, and an amp or two. Don't waste your time with the rears!

Old 02-10-2015, 03:07 AM
Originally Posted by orgasm_donor
Sell the 2nd set.
Installing components in the rear doors is like buying a big brake kit for your rear wheels. There is nearly zero sonic benefit in cutting up your rear door cards just because you got a good deal on comps.

I don't even run rear speakers but if you must, grab a pair of inexpensive coaxials for the rears if you like a bit of fill or if you have rear seat passengers. Concentrate on the fronts, and a sub, and an amp or two. Don't waste your time with the rears!
I'm not that type. I like my rear fill-in's...lol. I'm also big on high's. but thanks for not giving me an answer to my ads question at hand.

Old 02-10-2015, 03:28 AM
Quite honestly, I doubt you will find anybody that has done that - for the reasons I have already explained. If you love your highs, why not do two mids and two tweets up front in door pods? Not easy, but I am sure it would be better for a person like you that loves their highs. the Infinity tweeters are quite bright so I am sure you'll like them.

That said, if I were going to do what you want for a customer, I would flush mount the tweeter right behind the door latch handle. There is a fairly flat spot there and the depth isn't too bad in behind. The upper sill area has a rib in it so flush mounting there could be a little tough (it may also look nasty).

Good luck!

Old 02-10-2015, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by orgasm_donor
Quite honestly, I doubt you will find anybody that has done that - for the reasons I have already explained. If you love your highs, why not do two mids and two tweets up front in door pods? Not easy, but I am sure it would be better for a person like you that loves their highs. the Infinity tweeters are quite bright so I am sure you'll like them.

That said, if I were going to do what you want for a customer, I would flush mount the tweeter right behind the door latch handle. There is a fairly flat spot there and the depth isn't too bad in behind. The upper sill area has a rib in it so flush mounting there could be a little tough (it may also look nasty).

Good luck!
I'm not butchering up my car like that. I carry people in my car (Uber when I'm not flight instructing). So I like to keep the riders entertained while on the 10 to 30 minute ride.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:32 PM
The door handle flush was what i was thinking too. Thank you. I'll keep you posted.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:07 AM
I guess by now you guys have seen the finished install in other threads. If not, let me know and ill be honored to post here. Happy Holidays...

Old 03-15-2016, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
I installed component speakers in the rear doors of my GD3. Just cut a hole big enough for the tweeter and mount it in the hole, not overly difficult. I did it because I had an extra set of components that fit and why not lol.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:16 PM
I did it because my friend that owns a local car/home audio shop gave me a deal on Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 separates I count refuse. 2 sets that were 1pr for 299.99 for 170 a pair. They remember I kept asking If they could get Infinity which they couldn't at a good price because they weren't a dealer. A customer ordered 2 sets, pulled out and, and wanted to sell "ASAP" at the full MSRP. They installed them just like the member above me stated. The point of buying 2 set of separates is to give the rear pax (aviation lingo for passengers b4 u ask "huh") the same imaging as what we get in the front. Plus it gives a virtual surround sound when im driving. It's a great set-up when you have an amp pushing the full 75watts RMS x 4 to the drivers guys. Awesome for road trips (4 me slow R&B from 90's/00's, light rock like Rem "Loosing my Religion", Jazz, or just XM Radio shows like XM Stars or MSNBC) . It. Well worth it to me. How about u cnordt24?

Old 03-17-2016, 08:49 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah, I think it sounds great. I think it depends on tweeter placement and proper audio balance, as long as it's done right it makes for great audio clarity and quality.