Fit Photos & Videos Threads for displaying photos and videos of the Honda Fit/Jazz

Video shoots - share info on cameras, mounts, editing software, tips & tricks

Old 10-02-2008, 02:38 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
What music did you use in the first movie? I love it. It goes so well with the action.

and --- what rims were you running on your Fit? I want a set of white rims and I'm not sure if I'm going with Circuit 10s or something else.

Last edited by Juliane; 10-02-2008 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:40 PM
Retired Moderator
Working on a home made mounting system right now.
Should have it dialed in by tonight, ill then post pics and a sample video.
If everything works out right, ill be using it sunday at my first AutoX event

Keep you guys posted.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:20 PM
Retired Moderator
Ever since i got my Fit, ive been searching for that perfect angle for driving vids.
I finally found it!

The way i made it work is kinda ghetto, but its the only way to get the desired angle i was looking for.

Pics-

Tried to get pics to show the postioning of the bungee cords.
I used 5 bungee cords. All diff. sizes, if they were too long i wrapped them around to shorten the length as you can see in the pic.
When the camera in on the tri-pod its a bit top heavy, and does move around a bit. But not too much, its doesnt interfere with the viewing of the video.
Its basically impossible to tip the tri-pod, so the cam is safe.

Im uploading the test vid right now.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
Give us the link when it's ready.

Who cares what the set-up looks like? I've done assisting for a photographer before and heck - the best shoots we had were jerry-rigged like mad. What you don't see is how the job gets done - the results are what matters! Try having models with clothespins all down the back of the dress b/c the models are so skinny....the front is what shows!

Old 10-03-2008, 07:25 PM
Retired Moderator
Alright, got the vid up.

I fixed most of the shaking just by making sure all the bungees were tight. Some were loose when the video was taken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgoqajskeKs

Old 10-03-2008, 10:28 PM
5 Year Member
Excellent, I feel like I'm driving your car! Now just put some decent music on instead of the DiTech ad...

Old 10-03-2008, 11:25 PM
Retired Moderator
Hahah no doubt better music next time, and thanks
Its gotten better since i tightened the cords, and put my light weight cam on the tri-pod. That eliminated the shaking.
Look foward to getting some good footage at AutoX sunday

Old 10-04-2008, 01:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rad
ok
but what about after you get a cheap tripod??
just ghetto-rig it however you can to the suction-grip??
Yes, I just used the same original bolt that holds the tripod together to bolt it through the drilled hole on the suction cup.

Originally Posted by Juliane
What music did you use in the first movie? I love it. It goes so well with the action.

and --- what rims were you running on your Fit? I want a set of white rims and I'm not sure if I'm going with Circuit 10s or something else.
Music is from "Private Collection of Patrick O'Hearn" and song is appropriate because it is titled "Downhill Racer"! LOL!

I had my CRX wheels on the Fit at the time. Powder coated white OZ Racing Evolutions. Check pic album in my signature for more shots on both Fit Shoot album and Rides of the past.

Tyler, that video looks good. It just there is no way it would hold up on Calaveras with me driving! LOL! BTW, I have lot of fun commuting to work through it. I also got my butt handed to me by modified FJ Cruiser tonight! Without rear sway bar, stock tires and brakes I was a sitting duck! I was plowing through turns while I still had brakes, but when pads overheated and brake fluid started boiling I barely managed to keep it on the road!
That is it, CRX is coming out of retirement ASAP!

Ivan

Old 10-12-2008, 02:03 AM
quick question for ciburri, so how did you mount the taken apart cheapy tripod to the suction cups especially the single suction cup

Old 10-12-2008, 05:13 AM
5 Year Member
I got this headrest camera mount: CruiseCam In-Car Headrest Camera Mount. You can mount it on any of the headrests--front or rear driver or passenger side headrest.

I mounted mine on the front driver-side headrest for the last autocross. Unfortunately, I set the camera @ 4:3 aspect. I just saved it in the 16:9 format. I used a Panasonic SDR-S7: YouTube - 20081005 Hawaii SCCA auto-cross - '08 Honda Fit - 3 runs

I also found this headrest camera mount but wasn't sure if it would be ok for autocrossing. They got tons of mounts though: CAMCORDER MOUNTING BRACKETS

Old 10-13-2008, 12:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by raton
I got this headrest camera mount: CruiseCam In-Car Headrest Camera Mount. You can mount it on any of the headrests--front or rear driver or passenger side headrest.

I mounted mine on the front driver-side headrest for the last autocross. Unfortunately, I set the camera @ 4:3 aspect. I just saved it in the 16:9 format. I used a Panasonic SDR-S7: YouTube - 20081005 Hawaii SCCA auto-cross - '08 Honda Fit - 3 runs

I also found this headrest camera mount but wasn't sure if it would be ok for autocrossing. They got tons of mounts though: CAMCORDER MOUNTING BRACKETS
Raton, I like the headrest mount! I am in a process of making one on my own for under $15. Square aluminum tube and couple of U clamps from Home Depot! I will re-use my mount from the tripod I took apart.

Originally Posted by RNDMB_FIT
quick question for ciburri, so how did you mount the taken apart cheapy tripod to the suction cups especially the single suction cup
Pics first:

I used a long Allen wrench with a "T" handle to unscrew the mount from the tripod tube.

Then simply add a washer for greater surface bite to the original screw, lift rubber pad and squeeze the bolt with a washer through the drilled hole in the plastic body of the suction cup. I used same Allen wrench to tighten the screw into the mount while holding the rubber pad lifted just enough to squeeze the wrench in.

Piece of advice: DO NOT OVER-TIGHTEN THE CAMERA ONTO THE MOUNT! Use just enough tightness to hold it snug. I overtightened mine and it turned inside plastic camera body. I ended up just twisting it until camera got free from it's own hollow nut. I ended up using crazy glue to put it back into the camera and now it holds better than ever. Camera manufacturers press the metal hollow nut piece into the plastic body! If they glue it, they only apply glue to one or two spots!

Ivan

Old 12-08-2008, 10:20 PM
Name:  cameramount.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  31.0 KB

Ok, now all i have to do is wait till it quits raining and snowing and start recording some footage! I cant wait, I have some cool ideas up my sleeve.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AshPanda

Ok, now all i have to do is wait till it quits raining and snowing and start recording some footage! I cant wait, I have some cool ideas up my sleeve.
Now that is what I am talking about!

AshPanda, I hope that on two mounts on the left you did not use original tiny screw that held tripod legs! I have couple of those small tripods myself. It is too small and weak. Drill the hole and tap it in a larger bore so you can use larger bolt to secure it to the suction cup. Don't forget to use a washer on the bottom inside suction cup! Also it appears that you mounted it partially hanging over the edge. It will hold, but it might vibrate and make footage unusable.
I am looking into cutting the handle of the dual suction cup and inserting an aluminum pipe with large pins on each side which would make the mount more articulate. As is you will be limited to mounting it on almost perfectly flat surfaces. I intend to use this dual mount on vertical surfaces of doors and bumpers and single cup on horizontal ones.
Can't wait for the footage! I hope you have something other than software that came with camera to edit it.

Ivan

Old 12-09-2008, 08:04 AM
Originally Posted by ciburri
Now that is what I am talking about!

AshPanda, I hope that on two mounts on the left you did not use original tiny screw that held tripod legs! I have couple of those small tripods myself. It is too small and weak. Drill the hole and tap it in a larger bore so you can use larger bolt to secure it to the suction cup. Don't forget to use a washer on the bottom inside suction cup! Also it appears that you mounted it partially hanging over the edge. It will hold, but it might vibrate and make footage unusable.
I am looking into cutting the handle of the dual suction cup and inserting an aluminum pipe with large pins on each side which would make the mount more articulate. As is you will be limited to mounting it on almost perfectly flat surfaces. I intend to use this dual mount on vertical surfaces of doors and bumpers and single cup on horizontal ones.
Can't wait for the footage! I hope you have something other than software that came with camera to edit it.

Ivan

Thanks, I didn't use the little baby screw it didn't work. but i did use a bigger bolt and washer, and i could only find 2 small tripods out of all the mall's,bestbuy's,circut city's,walmarts, i looked every where and only found 2 so i bought them both. i'll definantly have to do some trial and error but i couldn't have done it without you. i probly would have spent a fortune, 3 cameras, three mounts three 2GB SD cards........Touge Videos here I come

Last edited by AshPanda; 12-09-2008 at 08:08 AM.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:20 PM
thanks for the info i was just really wondering how you did that under the rubber suction cup w/out damaging it thats all

Old 12-09-2008, 04:01 PM
slide somethig metel under the plastic so when you drill through it doesn't go through the rubber , and then when you install the screw, bend back the rubber and stick the crew up into it and it comes out the top. once you get the suction cup you will see how it works. its easy

Old 12-09-2008, 07:19 PM
HID Addict
me likey mucho ^.^ getting the suction cups is not a problem for me, but to get the tri-pod and "smash" it apart is not something i want to do =\ is there some place i can look for individual pieces? and by the screw, you mean the one that comes with the tri-pod right?

Old 12-11-2008, 07:20 AM
HID Addict
despite that i dont own a mount [i should down the road] i came up with a cheap ghetto way to reduce vibrations: t shirts. yes, raggy t shirts. get some old raggy t shirt and rip them in small pieces, maybe 1 - 1.5 inches wide? have like 2-4 of em, depends... like i said, i dont have my own mount to try it. put them between the mount and the suction cup. think of em like cusioning washers hehe make sure the mount is tight between the "washers" but like ciburri said, not too tight. let me know if anyone tries

Old 12-11-2008, 11:33 AM
the screws that come on the tripod are to small, you will need a little bolt/screw.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:27 PM
HID Addict
home depot im guessing? am i right?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Video shoots - share info on cameras, mounts, editing software, tips & tricks