Car Shows, Events, and Racing Announcements, discussions, news reports, and pictures for Car Shows, Race Events, Media Events, and Group Drive Events. Please post Event Location in the Thread Title since this is an International Forum!

Weight-saving ideas...

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 03:39 PM
Weight-saving ideas...

I'm slowly going about the process of trying to take some weight off my Fit as a competitive strategy. I figure anything that lightens up my car, even a little, will help when I start autocrossing. Here are some things I've done so far or that I plan to do soon. This is just a start, and these are all small things, but I'm hoping other people will chime in with ideas:

Things I've done:

-- Removed decorative plastic engine cover
-- Removed plastic battery cover
-- Cut off taller rear side of plastic battery tray
-- Removed metal radiator hose bracket bolted to transmission under air filter

<< These mods removed a grand total of 1 pound. As I said, these are small steps!

Things I'm planning:

-- Remove grille
-- Remove one of two rear license plate lights
-- Remove plastic underbody tray under front bumper
-- Replace rear muffler with straight pipe
-- Remove front and rear wipers (during competition only)
-- Remove glove box (during competition only)

Like I said, let's hear some other ideas!

Last edited by Skimmer; 12-24-2007 at 07:30 PM.
Old 12-24-2007, 05:39 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
-- Remove one of two rear license plate lights

if you are going to be that crazy about reducing weight make sure you take a big dump before the race too.

Old 12-24-2007, 06:09 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
take out the rear capet, rear seats, rear door panels. take off the wheels.. unless you wanna drive it

Old 12-24-2007, 06:51 PM
Most of this stuff I would only take off rightk before I autox not for everyday, safety reasons and just plain practicality...

Seats (the rears mostly)
spare tire
jack and jack tool pack
floor mats
as was said before RELIEVE yourself before you embark on a run
blow your nose...clean your ears cut your hair...go naked
bring a gas can and only fill your car up a little bit before the run
(then you can fill up when you leave so your not stranded)
Take stuff out of glove box
Fogs
visors
middle consol
The passenger (if they came with you)
ones EGO (they tend to be heavy in young males, its easy to do...just curb your rim or better yet smack a cone in an easy corner...its like instant weight savings)
plenty more things but... these are relatively easy
next would be taking out trim...
your wheels and tires are the biggest deal though...

the first and second periodic elements are usefull if you can incorporate them...haahaa!

Old 12-24-2007, 06:59 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
it seems like you are willing to do things for really small weight savings so here are a lot of things i just thought of, that i think people normally wouldn't consider. thinking outside the box haha.

would you remove your a/c for autox? you can take out the spare too, remove the window tint, don't drink water for a day before racing, and go on a diet (not saying your fat, but you can always lose more weight by simply starving yourself). cut your hair short too that is extra weight. could be like 1/4 lbs., depending on how long your hair is of course. remove your antenna, that should help lower the center of gravity by an immeasurable amount. could take off the spoiler too if you have a sport trim, and all the extra lips/skirts. i guess you could just remove the bumpers and fenders while you're at it, if it's legal. maybe the hood and headlights too?

Last edited by doctordoom; 12-24-2007 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:27 PM
OK, I knew I'd attract a bunch of jokers on this one.

I hadn't thought about taking a dump before the green flag. Not a bad idea.

To you jokers I will simply quote Lotus cars founder Colin Chapman, who said: "To add speed, add lightness."

So seriously, how hard would it be to remove the rear seats? I've thought about that and it doesn't look easy on the Fit. But it might be worth it as they seem to be quite heavy. Can anyone describe how it's done?

Old 12-24-2007, 08:50 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
haha i wasn't joking though. i could tell from your first post that you want to remove every pound possible, and i agree that lightness adds speed. it's just that i wouldn't bother with things that only weigh a fraction of a pound if i were to lighten my weekend racer. if it was gonna be a track car then yes i would lighten every single little thing possible. i was just trying to brainstorm some little things you could do that i never really considered for myself.

Old 12-24-2007, 08:57 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
spend some money on a spoon or optima battery, get new seats (recaro, bride, sparco), take out airbags (about 200 lbs off! of course its not safe but whatever.) CARBON FIBER BODY PARTS!

just taking off a thing here or there wont make much of a difference. to reduce weight, you either have to sacrifice money or safety.

Old 12-24-2007, 11:49 PM
5 Year Member
Before you remove anything you need to check the rules for your autocross event.

SCCA has autocross for stock classes that doesn't allow for much in weight savings. No rear seats can be removed.

For modified classes you can legally do more things.

For any autocross event you can legally remove-
Any item that is not firmly attached and is an accessory.
Rubber or carpet mats and all attachment parts.
Any hubcaps (base Fit)
Spare tire and tools
Gas down to 1/8 full tank (some drivers prefer 1/4 to fulltank)
Rear cargo cover.
Any aftermarket Stereo/video upgrade (subwoofers and amps)
Front and rear license plates and holders

And if you budget allows-
Any lighter than stock weight cat-back or axle back exhaust
Any stock sized lighter alloy wheel and race tire (Kumho V710)

If you are not in stock class you can go with any light weight rim and tire.
Kosei K1 TS 14x6 $106 each +38mm offset 9.3 lbs each Light grey or silver painted
195/55-14 Kumho V701 (R compound competition tires) $115 each closeout 18 lbs each

or for street class autocross with 14x6 rims
185/60-14 in Ultra High Performance All Season tires
Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS $70 each 400 treadwear 18 lbs eachhttp://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+R E960AS+Pole+Position&partnum=86HR4RE960PP&vehicleS earch=false&fromCompare1=yes&place=21

Or Toyo Proxes T1R Max Performance Summer tires
195/55-14 $71 each 280 treadwear 16.8 lbs each

Last edited by MINI-Fit; 12-25-2007 at 12:34 AM.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:54 PM
I looked in the factory repair manual about removing the rear seats and it actually looks pretty easy. Just four bolts once you thread the seatbelts through and lift the rear carpet. But if the SCCA rules don't allow it, I guess I'm hosed on that one.

Old 12-26-2007, 01:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Skimmer
I looked in the factory repair manual about removing the rear seats and it actually looks pretty easy. Just four bolts once you thread the seatbelts through and lift the rear carpet. But if the SCCA rules don't allow it, I guess I'm hosed on that one.
Yes, not allowed (legal) for Stock classes, Street Touring or Street Performance but it is legal for Street Modified but that is a very competitive class if you like to butt heads with BMW M3 sedans, Subaru WRX Sti, Mitsubishi Evos, Honda Civics with engine swaps, or Dodge Neon SRT.

Then again Street Mod allows for any wheels and tires, any Honda or Acura Engine that will fit, any exhaust header/system, any coilover suspension, etc.

Old 12-26-2007, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
My weight saving idea is to do more cardio at the gym and less weights. Gonna try and drop a few pounds next year, thats my plan.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by MINI-Fit
Before you remove anything you need to check the rules for your autocross event.

SCCA has autocross for stock classes that doesn't allow for much in weight savings. No rear seats can be removed.
OK, so I just read the 2007 SCCA Solo rulebook, and there is no specific prohibition on removing rear seats. But Section 13.2(A) - Bodywork, says in short that modifying "comfort and convenience" items that "do not materially reduce the weight of the car" is allowed. But since Section 13.1 says that mods not specifically authorized by the rules are prohibited, that would tell me that removing rear seats is a no-no, since this would obviously "materially reduce" the car's weight.

Oh well, I guess that's just one more mod I won't have to explain to the wife...

Old 12-26-2007, 11:38 PM
Banned
Gee guess you missed the giant LIGHT WEIGHT FIT POST that has all your work done for you.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...ghlight=weight

Last edited by claymore; 12-27-2007 at 01:00 AM.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:07 PM
5 Year Member
OK, I knew I'd attract a bunch of jokers on this one.

I hadn't thought about taking a dump before the green flag. Not a bad idea.

To you jokers I will simply quote Lotus cars founder Colin Chapman, who said: "To add speed, add lightness."

So seriously, how hard would it be to remove the rear seats? I've thought about that and it doesn't look easy on the Fit. But it might be worth it as they seem to be quite heavy. Can anyone describe how it's done?
its really easy...

take the rear carpet a fey plastic tabs and velcro. then it is 4 bolts.

They are about 70pounds

My fit weighted 2,309lbs (helmet in car)before solo 1 and it was :

1. deleted muffler (custom tube in place)
2. konig heliums = about 10.6 lbs each vs. 17 the stock
3. no spare tire and tools (required)
4. no carpets (front required)

About the rules: (nobody runs NASA TT?)

Its true if youre runing on SCCA rules. Not necessary in NASA-TT rules (just adds points to class) BTW The fit is TT-G By the rules, but since they are not runing TT-G in the competition, then you will run TT-F by default, so 40 points to spend before up-class to TT-E

If you have money to spend, you can swap your hood and tailgate to CF and Paint to disguise

Also take your bumper bars (at your own Safety risk)

Old 12-27-2007, 01:18 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
if you want to get real serious, i have a friend who removed all the unneccessary fuses in his crx. i suppose that is an option....

Old 12-27-2007, 01:25 PM
OK, so I just read the 2007 SCCA Solo rulebook, and there is no specific prohibition on removing rear seats. But Section 13.2(A) - Bodywork, says in short that modifying "comfort and convenience" items that "do not materially reduce the weight of the car" is allowed. But since Section 13.1 says that mods not specifically authorized by the rules are prohibited, that would tell me that removing rear seats is a no-no, since this would obviously "materially reduce" the car's weight.

Oh well, I guess that's just one more mod I won't have to explain to the wife...
If they won't let you take out the seats, can you at least lay them down? I drive with them down all the time, and I don't know if it helps a whole lot, but I'd like to think I'm lowering my car's CG. And I'm sure that'd be more helpful in autox than on the street.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:10 PM
Yeah, I plan to do that. Mine are down all the time, too, because I'm always hauling my two dogs around!

Claymore: Thx for pointing out that other thread. The 'lighter battery' option discussed there is promising. But I'm not ready to chuck my OEM battery yet.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:32 PM
5 Year Member

You need to leave the rear seat alone if to plan on running H Stock class

Old 12-28-2007, 05:31 PM
5 Year Member
The following aren't legal for stock class...

-- Cut off taller rear side of plastic battery tray
-- Removed metal radiator hose bracket bolted to transmission under air filter
-- Remove grille
-- Remove plastic underbody tray under front bumper
-- Remove front and rear wipers (during competition only)
-- Remove glove box (during competition only)

If you want to legally remove weight, spend your money on lighter (stock sized) wheels, lighter adjustable shocks, lightweight catback, and a lightweight battery (Braille).

Stock class is not the class for weight reduction, it's about smart setup. Get the legal alignment bolts for the front, adjustable shocks and front sway bar, lightest wheels you can find with the widest rubber you can fit, and make the lightest catback you can.

But honestly, the best money spent is on schools and seat time. 1lb wheels won't help you if you can't drive.

Last edited by gimp; 12-29-2007 at 05:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Weight-saving ideas...