Racing A place to discuss upcoming and past Fit racing events.

Reducing Eliminating Spring Compression Rear End Squat Help

Old 09-12-2014, 12:16 AM
5 Year Member
Reducing Eliminating Spring Compression Rear End Squat Help

This is a picture of the rear of my fit. See the spring? I want to either dramatically reduce or eliminate rear end squat immediately after taking off. This is only being done as a test to record before and after results, not for driving around like this (Not recommended).

Do anyone know of an item I can purchase that I can insert between the springs to eliminate the rear end squat while taking off? Plan is to raise rear tire pressure (reduce the front) and to stop the springs rear end from squatting. I'm trying to reduce my 60ft time at the drags trip. This is one of many things I'm trying. For a half a second or so, I notice my front end rises slightly. Every little bit counts. Thanks!

***Updated 3-2-15***
Got these in the mail today. Gonna give them a try and see how it goes.

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 03-02-2015 at 07:55 PM.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:32 AM
5 Year Member
what i've seen some guys do, is either to insert one of the bags that you can inflate inside the spring (usually used to lift a vehicle, but can be used to eliminate compression), or by simply bolting on a set of heim joints on a bar that will connect the rear axle to the frame thereby eliminating any compression or rebound...

Old 09-12-2014, 01:33 PM
You're looking for spring spacers, as seen here:

http://www.summitracing.com/search/d...spring-spacers

You need to find some that match the spring O.D. and you should be set. Spring spacers increase the effective spring rate.

I assume you're doing this to reduce squat on launch while using stock suspension.

Old 09-12-2014, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member
You could replace the shock with a solid bar.

Old 09-13-2014, 03:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.

You need to find some that match the spring O.D. and you should be set. Spring spacers increase the effective spring rate.

I assume you're doing this to reduce squat on launch while using stock suspension.
Yes! This is only being done to reduce rear end squat during take-off, while doing 1/4 mile runs. At no point will I be driving around like this on a daily basis.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:41 PM
5 Year Member
Why not try a rear stiff rear spring rate. Springs aren't that expensive. You can get swift for about 100 or so (I can remember) in any spring rate you want. Just get a really stiff rear spring and it should keep the nose down.

BUT if you do this it with increase your lift off oversteer so you have to keep the car straight when you lift off or hit the brakes. Just don't hit too hard.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Previc93
Why not try a rear stiff rear spring rate. Springs aren't that expensive. You can get swift for about 100 or so (I can remember) in any spring rate you want. Just get a really stiff rear spring and it should keep the nose down.

BUT if you do this it with increase your lift off oversteer so you have to keep the car straight when you lift off or hit the brakes. Just don't hit too hard.
Would this be feasible for testing on a 1/4 mile run? I'd have to pay for the springs and the install. After testing, I'd have to pay to have the stock springs re-installed.

I'm looking for something I can do at the track, then test it out, then put it back to stock. Thanks for the suggestion though. I just don't want to end up fishtailing driving with the family in the car during a grocery shopping trip somewhere.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:21 AM
5 Year Member
Lol I have changed rear springs on my car at the track multiple times. Takes about 10 to 15 min

Old 09-20-2014, 02:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Previc93
Lol I have changed rear springs on my car at the track multiple times. Takes about 10 to 15 min
I didn't realize this. Thanks for letting me know then. This is something to consider!

Old 09-20-2014, 02:30 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
with the fit suspension in the rear its very simple to replace the springs.
Jack up the rear
take the bottom bolt out of the rear strut on both sides
jack the car even higher until the springs almost fall out on their own
remove rubber perch off old spring and add to new spring
install new springs
lower car slowly and watch to make sure the rear rubber top perch goes into the seat
install rear lower shock bottom bolt
drive fast

Old 09-20-2014, 04:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kylerwho
Jack up the rear
install new springs
lower car slowly and watch to make sure the rear rubber top perch goes into the seat
drive fast
Just as fast as you read that is how fast it takes. Lol

Old 09-20-2014, 10:23 AM
5 Year Member
and if you have lowering springs (even the standard swift springs) you don't need to remove the shocks to remove the springs...

Old 09-20-2014, 01:27 PM
5 Year Member
Damn...this is excellent info. Thanks for letting me know guys!

I'll search around for this 'swift' spring that is being mentioned. I want as stiff a spring as possible. No rebound! I want all the weight to stay up front, on my front tires and little to no 'squat'. I'm hoping for any improvement in my 60ft time.

Out of 31 dragstrip runs I've counted thusfar, none of them have touched into the 2.4 60ft range yet. So a 2.4 or better is improvement.

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 09-20-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member

I never did thank you for this info Wanderer. Thanks! I'm actually looking into this as well. I don't know the spring O.D. though.

I'm finally down into the 2.4's with my 60ft now. Lots of ideas in my mind but this is one of them I'd like to try to see results. Heck, even 1/10th off is HUGE right now. Thanks!

Old 10-02-2014, 08:46 PM
Hey no problem, worth a shot and cheaper than buying springs.

Stiffer springs would be better, but you'd have to get some that would keep the ride height the same as stock or taller, or lower the front end. I suppose you could get an adjustable collar type thing like a coilover. Reverse rake is bad if the front suspension geometry changes I am picturing in my head make sense.

I am not and have never been a drag racer. A little bit quite a long time ago, but that's about the extent of it, and I don't think ever under a tree I used to watch at the strip but that's it. So take what I say with a grain of salt.

Old 11-12-2014, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kylerwho
Jack up the rear
install new springs
drive fast
I apologize for not acting on this already and am kicking myself now. I'll go about getting me some rear springs to make this happen. I hate it when someone is helpful and give good advice and I don't act on it. Just letting you know that I didn't forget this. Just got to make it happen. Will definitely report back.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:32 AM
How bad are you squating? Mine doesn't seem to squat all that much and this is with the OE shocks and low spring rate swift springs.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Cocowheat
How bad are you squating? Mine doesn't seem to squat all that much and this is with the OE shocks and low spring rate swift springs.

Youtube
Stop the video at 0:11 and click it fast, piece by piece until it gets to 0:12. That's what I want to eliminate so you won't see that at all. Your's is minimal but I feel if I could get it to a point where you don't see that minimal squatting at all, it may add up. I need to take a video of mine at the track during take-offs so I know just how much it's squatting.

BTW: That is a nice looking Fit and it sounds great! Also, is that Vtec kicking in at 0:13 and 0:16? Dayum!

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 02-26-2015 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:15 AM
Ah, I see. Then a heavier spring rate would help, but one word of caution on that. With a spring rate that heavy it'll take alot to compress it yes, but if you even manage to compress it a little bit, your OE shocks may not be able to handle the rebound so be careful. The spring will decompress during hard braking, when all the weight shifts to the front.

And yes, that is VTEC kicking in to a 3 inch exhaust system. Lol. Thank you for the kind compliment.

Old 02-28-2015, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member

I've been looking and have not been successful in doing this. I need some help/advice on this. Would anyone happen to know what the proper spring spacer would be for my vehicle? I have no idea. I want to pick up some asap. Thanks!

Update:
Never one to wait, I read up about the affect of this modification here --> Default Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspension?

I ended up ordering these --> Superior 18-1901 Donut Style Coil Spring Spacer

Will see how my 60ft times improve.

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 02-28-2015 at 03:03 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reducing Eliminating Spring Compression Rear End Squat Help