Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

Progress Auto Rear Anti-Sway bar! WITH DIY PHOTOS PAGE 5!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 02:46 AM
5 Year Member
I got some info from my friend and I don't have permission to start a groupbuy in the groupbuy forum here yet. I PM'd the admin and hopefully I'll hear back soon. The word at this point is they won't be ready until about May, but I'll keep you posted. Even so I'd like to get the ball rolling now. Once I get the go ahead I'll give you guys details. I've been on H-T since it started and I'm hoping to cross reference it there.

Old 02-13-2007, 09:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by claymore
Leonine, can't tell from the photos. Does the bar just "float" in the center where it goes alongside the Fit Axle or is there some bracket or something holding it in place?
dunno. i'll shoot em a quick email and try to find out.

Old 02-13-2007, 09:39 AM
5 Year Member
Looking at the way that it hooks up, it looks like it should help reduce body roll, and increase traction. Since it is like a lower brace, it seems to act like a lower tie bar from point of inflection to point of inflection.

The other setup that AJR had was a sway bar with links and it was tied down to the beam and then the shocks! That is why it was too much oversteer!

The progress is subtle and should not be that drastic!

Old 02-13-2007, 11:51 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by leonine
no problem. Just curious what were the other ?'s you asked.
Hi-
My question asked of Progress is exactly the same as Claymore's. How is this bar held to the "frame' (in our case the bottom of the car). The anti-sway/roll bars that I have used in the past either were pillow-block mounted to the frame rails (front axle) and end-linked to the wheels, or pillow-block mounted to the axle (rear axle) and end-linked to the frame rails.

The installed photo of the Progress bar only shows attachment to the spring brackets. If the transverse span of the bar (the bottom of the "U" shape) is free floating and not attached to the floor at all, the effectiveness of keeping rear spring compression equal relative to each other will be reduced. If the bar is attached to the frame/floor, spring compression from side to side will be more equalized, keeping the body from leaning in hard turns. Since that is what we want from this bar, and the photos do not seem to show the usual attachment points, I want to know why.

There is no answer from Progress in my Email this am, so I will call them later today to get their explanation.

Dave

Last edited by manxman; 02-13-2007 at 11:53 AM. Reason: add comment
Old 02-13-2007, 12:17 PM
5 Year Member
Joey at progress just responded. The bar is ONLY connected at the ends.

Old 02-13-2007, 02:02 PM
Banned
I just finished a phone conversation with Joey at Progress. I wanted to know why the bar is not attached to the frame, and how it works without that attachment. Apparently the beam rear axle of the Fit is a kind of "torsion bar" already because there is a certain degree of flexibility built into the beam.

The Progress bar reinforces the rear suspension by limiting the flexing of the axle beam. This bar plus 1200 lb. rear springs and a K20 engine were on the 2nd. place winner of the Feb. 10th. Time Attack.

I asked Joey if there is any advantage to placing an order now vs. waiting the 6-8 weeks for the product to be in stock. The delay in availability is due to the fact that the bars are manufactured in their own, too small, factory in So. California. If you order now, you will be at the head of the line and won't be disappointed if they sell out their first production run. I will order mine today.

Old 02-13-2007, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
looks like i will be ordering mine today too.

Old 02-13-2007, 05:51 PM
5 Year Member
Just what I was saying!! It's better that way! Go get it!

Old 02-14-2007, 06:04 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by gettinafit
Just what I was saying!! It's better that way! Go get it!
gettinafit-

Your previously posted opinion of the way that this bar works helped me to decide to buy it, after getting confirmation from Progress Technology. I am not familiar with torsion beam axles, just conventional solid axles on Detroit iron. I saw the "torsion beam rear suspension" in the list of specs. when I was shopping for my Fit, but I just did not pay attention to what it meant.

In thinking about the very light weight of the rear of the Fit, I decided that if an add-on bar were attached to both the frame/body and the wheels, the semi-independent suspension of each rear wheel would be eliminated, and the suspension would be too rigid. By adding further resistance to the flex of the torsion beam with this bar, body roll in the rear should be quite reduced without adverse steering consequences, and without transferring shock from one wheel to the rest of the rear suspension and body.

My mods are not being done for racing or extreme performance reasons, just to help an otherwise good car reach its potential in the "safe-and-fun-to-drive" category. Leonine's introduction post on this product, along with information in later posts, convinced me to act completely against my nature by being the first to order this product (according to Joey at Progress Tech.).

Being among the first to buy the K&N SRI kit only bought me a box full of crap (still unresolved). I truly hope to be able to post an extremely positive review on this anti-sway bar when I get it. Thanks for your input on this thread.

Dave

Old 02-14-2007, 07:58 PM
5 Year Member
I got all excited when I read the first post, I was about to bust out my credit card and sit patiently by the front door in a week waiting for the friendly man with the brown truck to bring me a present! But, then I saw it is still a month or two out. This will probably be the first mod to my fit. I'll be checking this thread frequently to see if any more current release info is added.

Old 02-15-2007, 01:53 PM
Did anyone get a handle on how much the coilovers was going to cost?

Old 02-15-2007, 04:41 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by 743power
I got all excited when I read the first post, I was about to bust out my credit card and sit patiently by the front door in a week waiting for the friendly man with the brown truck to bring me a present! But, then I saw it is still a month or two out. This will probably be the first mod to my fit. I'll be checking this thread frequently to see if any more current release info is added.
Just a suggestion--
Place your order now. They won't charge your card until they ship. The bars may be ready early, maybe not, but by the time you read reviews from the owners of this product, the first production run may be sold out.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by qiraat
Did anyone get a handle on how much the coilovers was going to cost?
It sounds like Progress is a LONG-ways away from having them ready.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:41 AM
5 Year Member
BUT, to answer the question, they will likely be the same as most of their other Honda kits, which list for about $600 on their website.

manxman, if the sway bar is anything like other stuff I've gotten from Progress over the years, you'll be more than pleased.

Personally, I'm thinking of getting the rear bar and just the lowering springs. The orange Fit on the Progress website is very tasty.

Mike

Old 02-16-2007, 12:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by squareback
BUT, to answer the question, they will likely be the same as most of their other Honda kits, which list for about $600 on their website.

manxman, if the sway bar is anything like other stuff I've gotten from Progress over the years, you'll be more than pleased.

Mike
Progress makes great products. Unfortunately they don't seem to mass produce like Tein or some other competitors. I have Progress coilovers on my '93 SE-R and they're probably the best coilovers available for it. They are very well respected among the SR20 community. Mine ran me $1100. If Progress can make coilovers for the Fit in the $600 range I'll be lining up with money in hand.

Old 02-16-2007, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member
Just pre-ordered mine today. #2 on the list. Joey confirmed 6 weeks until delivery hopefully. Then it's off to the paint shop for VBP paint.

Old 02-16-2007, 03:30 PM
Banned
Just pre-ordered mine today. #2 on the list. Joey confirmed 6 weeks until delivery hopefully. Then it's off to the paint shop for VBP paint.
Congrats!
Thanks for starting this thread!

Last edited by manxman; 02-17-2007 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member
no problem. Enjoy it.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:33 PM
Joey from Progress indicated to me that they don't ship to Canada. Anyone know any Toronto-based or Canadian-based shops that carry Progress that we could contact for pricing?

Martin

Old 03-07-2007, 04:56 PM
Banned
Smile Shipping In 2 Weeks!

For those "holding their breath" (like I am) waiting for their Progress rear anti-sway bar, I talked with Joey today to check on shipping status. He says two more weeks. By allowing another week for whatever production problems that might come up, it still should ship right at 6 weeks from the date of my order. I also asked about development status of the Fit coil overs. A prototype set was tried out at the last SoCal time trials, but no word yet on when production will start.

Quick Reply: Progress Auto Rear Anti-Sway bar! WITH DIY PHOTOS PAGE 5!