Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

Integra Type-R front disc brake installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 11:54 AM
5 Year Member
Am I the only one that thinks the Spoon rotors are pretty pricey at $197-each for just drilling 4 extra bolt holes in stock type-r rotors?

Anyone know where we can source stock 'type -r' rotors in 4x100 bolt pattern besides Spoon?

Old 07-20-2009, 12:50 PM
5 Year Member
I have see some manufacturers have both a 4 and a 5 bolt hole patterns on the same disc…but if I recall correctly, they were a very low end product…and this was a long time ago. I don’t know if anybody is still doing that. I think this would be a good question for DZeckhausen.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Evotech8
Am I the only one that thinks the Spoon rotors are pretty pricey at $197-each for just drilling 4 extra bolt holes in stock type-r rotors?

Anyone know where we can source stock 'type -r' rotors in 4x100 bolt pattern besides Spoon?
Check out brakeperformance.com....... They may have something like what you are looking for.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
Check out brakeperformance.com....... They may have something like what you are looking for.
I just called them and they told me to go pound sand...

Good idea though...

Old 07-20-2009, 09:46 PM
"Snow bucks" ahahah
Although is sounds even corny-er we refer to the CAD dollar as the "loonie" due to the fact that it has a loon on the one dollar coin.... Not that you are loonie, if u live in canada or use our currnecy....

Last edited by CamFit; 07-20-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:17 PM
5 Year Member
tagged for interest

Old 07-20-2009, 10:51 PM
5 Year Member
Found this on fastbrakes.com
The rotors have dual bolt pattern, but not 100% sure if they are type-r rotors?

SpecR Integra/Civic EX/Civic Si 11" rotor
Description:Plain 11" rotors for the Integra/Civic EX/Civic Si with modified TypeR calipers. Rotors have dual bolt pattern. Price is for ONE rotor. Sale Price: $47.50ea.

SpecR Integra/Civic EX/Civic Si 11" slotted/dimpled rotors
Slotted/dimpled 11" rotors for the Integra/Civic EX/Civic Si with modified TypeR calipers. Rotors have dual bolt pattern. Price is for PAIR of rotors. Sale Price: $150.00pr.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:08 AM
5 Year Member
Hmmmm very interesting, I might look into this towards the end of the year as Im pretty tired of going through pads and disks the way I am. Sounds like you drive the same way as me.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:10 AM
5 Year Member
Do you people that are wearing out your brakes driving automatic cars?..... I was married to a woman that went through brakes all of the time but she was a tailgater and would stay on the throttle and slam on the brake pedal at the last moment at stop signs or to slow for a turn or curve.... Wrecked every thing she drove and more than one time nearly killed some people.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:14 AM
5 Year Member
Such a good deal!

Found this on fastbrakes.com
The rotors have dual bolt pattern, but not 100% sure if they are type-r rotors?

SpecR Integra/Civic EX/Civic Si 11" rotor
Description:Plain 11" rotors for the Integra/Civic EX/Civic Si with modified TypeR calipers. Rotors have dual bolt pattern. Price is for ONE rotor. Sale Price: $47.50ea.

SpecR Integra/Civic EX/Civic Si 11" slotted/dimpled rotors
Slotted/dimpled 11" rotors for the Integra/Civic EX/Civic Si with modified TypeR calipers. Rotors have dual bolt pattern. Price is for PAIR of rotors. Sale Price: $150.00pr.
Great find! That looks like the disc we need...
This means that for the disc and caliper ($47.50 + $79.00) X 2 plus the price for the 3-mm spacers and longer studs $139.00, you could have Type-R front brakes for $392.!!!! What a deal!

Last edited by Jodele; 07-21-2009 at 07:15 AM. Reason: spelling PRICE not rice ;)
Old 07-21-2009, 10:05 AM
5 Year Member
I guess that I am just getting old because I haven't experienced brake fade in decades, but there is no way that I can't Rep you for this..... Where on earth do (can) you drive so hard to that your brakes fade or you need better stopping than that afforded by the stock ones??
Cincinnati is right on the edge of the Appalachian Mountains… And, YES, it is true that there is a very high correlation between the number of teeth and IQ in the Appalachians…keep in mind that teeth are considered bling there! So single digits are not that uncommon…

Cincinnati is quite hilly, for the mid west. Nothing like the Sierra Nevadas of central California, or the twisties of the “back side” (behind The Observatory) of Griffith Park, or the ridgeline road of Mulholland in the Santa Monica Mountains to the Rock Store, or the ever popular escape route out of the (San Fernando) Valley of Topanga Canyon, or the long, high speed, sweeping turns of Angeles Crest Highway in the San Gabriel Mountains, or Anza Borrego in the San Bernardino Mountains, or etc. ad infinitum – God, I miss SoCAl! Hey SoCal FitFreaks, do I qualify as an honorary member?

But, you make do with what you got…I still drive like I did in SoCal…

Last edited by Jodele; 07-21-2009 at 10:06 AM. Reason: page brakes
Old 07-21-2009, 10:21 AM
5 Year Member
Does your set up still allow the the ABS to function properly?
Yes - the stock hubs and pickups have not changed nor have they been modified in any way. Once the ABS senses a lockup, it engages as before.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:02 PM
5 Year Member
Oh yes you need serious braking and mental telepathy and psychic abilities to enjoy the Appalachians while behind the wheel.... There is no way that you can drive at the speed limit and not be on your brakes where you drive..... There just isn't a 1/2 mile of flat straight road to be found in areas there.... A friend and I spent a week lost in those mountains driving a VW bus there one night in 1972. I understand the need for monster brakes and applaud your successful outcome in achieving what you have.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:16 PM
5 Year Member
Budget BIG brakes FTW!

I probably try this route.

Are the spacers really necessary even if I have aftermarket wheels?

The stock wheels I can see u rubbing since the offset/backspacing is so high at +55mm.

Originally Posted by Jodele
Great find! That looks like the disc we need...
This means that for the disc and caliper ($47.50 + $79.00) X 2 plus the price for the 3-mm spacers and longer studs $139.00, you could have Type-R front brakes for $392.!!!! What a deal!

Old 07-21-2009, 04:24 PM
5 Year Member
Are the spacers really necessary even if I have aftermarket wheels?

The stock wheels I can see u rubbing since the offset/backspacing is so high at +55mm.
All offset/backspacing is the distance from the mounting face to the center of the wheel…how far it is spaced in or out from the mounting face…hence the name. This caliper sticks out past the mounting face of the hub. It makes no difference on the offset of the wheel if the caliper sticks out past the hub. Now the design of the “spokes" of the wheel could have a difference. If the “spokes” are bent out, then it could fit without the 3-mm spacer. But that is only the artistic design of the wheel and not the raw dimensions.

Last edited by Jodele; 07-21-2009 at 04:27 PM. Reason: spelling is not in
Old 07-21-2009, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
^Ok, that clears things up now.

I'm going to order the fastbrake.com rotors and type-r calipers. I'll keep you guys updated on fitment and review once i get them installed.

Thx!

Old 07-22-2009, 06:20 AM
Take Two of Me & Don't Call in the Morning
5 Year Member
You cover distance faster if you don't use the middle pedal, saves fuel also.
awesome

Old 07-22-2009, 09:04 AM
5 Year Member
Tail of the Dragon

Oh yes you need serious braking and mental telepathy and psychic abilities to enjoy the Appalachians while behind the wheel.... There is no way that you can drive at the speed limit and not be on your brakes where you drive..... There just isn't a 1/2 mile of flat straight road to be found in areas there.... A friend and I spent a week lost in those mountains driving a VW bus there one night in 1972. I understand the need for monster brakes and applaud your successful outcome in achieving what you have.
Do you know if you were on US129? There is a section of road (11 miles)called the Tail of the Dragon...probably the worst car (60s VW bus with flowers) in world to be in, on that road. But a Fit with big brakes might be one of the funnest.
Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap and Cherohala Skyway, Graham Co, NC

Old 07-22-2009, 10:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jodele
Do you know if you were on US129? There is a section of road (11 miles)called the Tail of the Dragon...probably the worst car (60s VW bus with flowers) in world to be in, on that road. But a Fit with big brakes might be one of the funnest.
Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap and Cherohala Skyway, Graham Co, NC
My wife and I did that 5 years ago on our Goldwing. I would have wanted an old Montessa Impala Spot 250 of the late 1960s for a one up go at it. Even on that huge unwieldy beast we were on, it was hard to go as fast as we wanted to due to the yuppie Harley riders that were shaking so bad because the were afraid to use their front brakes and couldn't slow down with the back wheel locked up.... They were a joke and gave my wife and I a lot of good laughs as we would slip through groups of them all white knuckled and eyes gaped open in terror at 30 MPH.... I will get up there again in my FIT..... The more I think abut it the more I realize the need for an affordable brake change for people that want to exploit the handling of their cars on those roads..... A definite must have for me if that was were i went for thrills.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:50 PM
5 Year Member
Weights of disc parts

OK – I got an update…I went to the UPS Store and got some weights…

The left front stock disc (very well used, but never machined) weighs 11.00-lbs
This StopTech disc left side weighed in at 11.20-lbs

The right front stock disc (very well used, but never machined) weighs 10.95-lbs
This StopTech disc right side weighed in at 11.10-lbs

That’s only an average of 0.175-lbs increase in weight per discs.

The left front Integra Type-R caliper weighed in at 11.50-lbs!
The right front Integra Type-R caliper + Axxis brake pads weighed in at 13.75-lbs

The stock ones were still on the car, so I didn’t get a chance to weigh them yet. There will be a huge weight increase for the calipers though…you can see why.

I also checked to see if the stock studs will be able to hold the wheel on with the 3-mm spacer installed. I started a lug-nut and started counting the revolutions to tighten it. I got just under 6 rotations. With a thread pitch of 1.5-mm that only gives you 9-mm of grip on a 12-mm bolt. You need at least 12-mm or 8 rotations. This is dangerously low. Spoon Sports sent me ARP P/N 100-7712 bolts. This is what they look like installed…installing them was a pain in the ass. I have a 12-ton press and it took every bit of it to take apart the front hub. I took this opportunity to remove the splash guard on the back side of the disc to get better cooling also. Replacing the studs is not a job for the newbie or the ill equipped shop.

This is how the longer studs look like...

That is ugly...I will figure out something...but they a definately needed!

Quick Reply: Integra Type-R front disc brake installation