Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

Integra Type-R front disc brake installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 04:11 AM
5 Year Member
I got my set of type-r calipers from dzeckhausen.com.
I test fitted them today and they fit perfectly with my 15" konig helium wheels without any spacers or longer studs. Have about 3/8" clearance between the spoke and caliper.

Next week i'll be ordering the fastbrakes.com rotors and porterfield rear brake drum shoes.

Stay tuned...

Old 07-26-2009, 07:37 AM
5 Year Member
Can you stop by a Kinkos or a UPS Store to get us weights for the fastbrakes discs when you get them?

Also shoot us a photo of the wheel with the caliper installed...let's all see what it looks like.

Get the T1R rear disc conversion...it's only $450 CAD (snow bucks)...it's definitely worth it.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:37 AM
5 Year Member
good stuff dude, i was thinking of getting the Stoptech rotors but i need to see if any1 else was using them before i get them...

Old 07-26-2009, 04:00 PM
5 Year Member
Yup, i'm planning to weigh the fastbrakes.com rotors when I get them soon. Hopefully they will not be much heavier compared to the stock 11lb rotors. When I get all the parts installed i'll be posting some pics.

I pm'd AJ about their T1R rear disc conversion summer clearance sale going on. Wish i knew about it earlier since i'm upgrading my front brakes.

By the way, how do you take off the stock rotors? There are two screws on the rotor face that are impossible to loosen with a phillips screwdriver+vise grip and pb blaster. Spent 20 minutes trying but gave up.

Originally Posted by Jodele
Can you stop by a Kinkos or a UPS Store to get us weights for the fastbrakes discs when you get them?

Also shoot us a photo of the wheel with the caliper installed...let's all see what it looks like.

Get the T1R rear disc conversion...it's only $450 CAD (snow bucks)...it's definitely worth it.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:51 PM
5 Year Member
I used to race motorcycles, so I still have all my motorcycling tools... those screws need to be undone with an impact driver. The impact driver has a replaceable Philips tip. You tap the tip into the screw with a hammer to seat the tip into the screw, insert the impact driver over the tip, then you put unscrewing load on the driver like a screwdriver and then strike the end of the impact driver with a 20-oz hammer (or larger).

If you’ve already f#@ked up the screw with a regular Philips screwdriver, you’re stuck chiseling them out.

Her is Snap-On's PIT120, Driver, Impact

Old 07-26-2009, 07:37 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for posting all this up. This is exactly the type of front brake upgrade I would want to do. I think this in combination with the rear disc brake conversion is the perfect set up. Thanks Jodele for trying this all out. BTW does zeckhausen sell the calipers with the mounting brackets? And the correct caliper to purchase is the centric rebuilt calipers for $79.00 correct? Thanks for the help

Old 07-27-2009, 12:25 AM
5 Year Member
I just said it was...even with all the links...

And it works great with the T1R rear disc brake conversion. I had installed the T1R rear brakes first and ran them for a few weeks. When I went to install the Type-R front brakes, I checked the rears. I was surprised to see that they were 75% gone. This front brake upgrade is needed to balance the brake bias back forward.

If you are running T1R rear discs, this type of upgraded is needed up front.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:53 AM
5 Year Member
I used to race motorcycles, so I still have all my motorcycling tools... those screws need to be undone with an impact driver. The impact driver has a replaceable Philips tip. You tap the tip into the screw with a hammer to seat the tip into the screw, insert the impact driver over the tip, then you put unscrewing load on the driver like a screwdriver and then strike the end of the impact driver with a 20-oz hammer (or larger).

If you’ve already f#@ked up the screw with a regular Philips screwdriver, you’re stuck chiseling them out.

Her is Snap-On's PIT120, Driver, Impact
I wish I knew about that handy tool earlier. Curse those stubborn screws !?#@!

Old 07-27-2009, 11:22 AM
5 Year Member
I just said it was...even with all the links...

And it works great with the T1R rear disc brake conversion. I had installed the T1R rear brakes first and ran them for a few weeks. When I went to install the Type-R front brakes, I checked the rears. I was surprised to see that they were 75% gone. This front brake upgrade is needed to balance the brake bias back forward.

If you are running T1R rear discs, this type of upgraded is needed up front.
Thanks man,
I was asking if the brackets came with the caliper, and I only asked to make sure that the calipers you bought were the rebuilt ones by centric. I've already purchased the rear brakes, and from what you say I definitely need to this modification.
Thanks again man,
Tom

Old 07-27-2009, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
As you can see the front calipers came with brake pads because I bought the “loaded pair” (brake caliper bracket and caliper). I’m willing to send those to anyone willing to pay for shipping. And the cool part is, I didn’t have to provide a core! AutoZone wants $143.99 plus $93.00 for the core for a total of $236.99 + tax for each caliper!!! That was a great deal that I got from Zeckhausen Racing – Thanks Dave. He’s a FitFreak too
per post 17 - yes, comes with bracket AND pads. And, yes they are rebuilds. But check the photos - they look new.

Sorry for repeating myself to everybody else...

Old 07-28-2009, 02:53 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Evotech8
I wish I knew about that handy tool earlier. Curse those stubborn screws !?#@!
Hey man, I got the service manual if you need it

Old 07-28-2009, 03:47 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks slimjimx701x,
But i got the tool Jodele mentioned earlier to remove the rotors.
Since ur local maybe next time I can borrow the service manual for something else. Thanks for the offer.

Originally Posted by Slimjimx701x
Hey man, I got the service manual if you need it

Old 07-28-2009, 08:20 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks slimjimx701x,
But i got the tool Jodele mentioned earlier to remove the rotors.
Since ur local maybe next time I can borrow the service manual for something else. Thanks for the offer.
Np at all, I may need to bug you when I need to do the brake convertions =D

Old 07-29-2009, 08:48 PM
5 Year Member
All offset/backspacing is the distance from the mounting face to the center of the wheel…how far it is spaced in or out from the mounting face…hence the name. This caliper sticks out past the mounting face of the hub. It makes no difference on the offset of the wheel if the caliper sticks out past the hub. Now the design of the “spokes" of the wheel could have a difference. If the “spokes” are bent out, then it could fit without the 3-mm spacer. But that is only the artistic design of the wheel and not the raw dimensions.
Even though you are completely correct I differ slightly. Does offset matter? The real answer I think should be DEPENDS.

On what? On wheel design. Some wheels like the stock 15" sport wheel lay their spokes flat up and down almost level with the offset. Some wheels have their spokes sticking out further than the actual offset and this may vary depending on the offset WITHIN the same model of wheel.

Looking at those pictures it seems like the wheels I have, which are Rota Grids in 15x7 with a +38 offset look like they'll clear this with PLENTY of room between the rear of the spokes and the face of the caliper. Right now with stock calipers I have a LOT of clearance in this area. Haven't measured it but it could be well over 3/4".

Old 07-30-2009, 02:26 PM
5 Year Member
I've decided cut down the longer studs...now the stock lugnuts can go back on.

OK...I've got some more weights:

I've already said that the StopTech AeroDiscs are 0.175-lbs heavier than the stock discs or only 2.8-oz!

I weighed the stock calipers, one weighed 8.45-lbs and the other 8.50-lbs.

The left front Integra Type-R caliper weighed in at 11.50-lbs!

That's an extra 3-lbs of unsprung weight per caliper.

Does anybody have a weight for the Spoon twin-block caliper?

Does anybody have a weight for the fastbrakes discs yet?

Old 08-03-2009, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member

I've already said that the StopTech AeroDiscs are 0.175-lbs heavier than the stock discs or only 2.8-oz!

Fastbrake.com 11" disc= 13.007 lbs on a ISO calibrated scale at my work.

Stock disc= 11.00 lbs

So 2lb difference.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:33 PM
5 Year Member

i searched google and two sites said the same thing. jdmjunkies-bn.com and aj-racing.com both said that spoon twin block caliper only weighs 2.4kg=5.2911pounds

Old 08-04-2009, 03:03 AM
5 Year Member
Fastbrake.com 11" disc= 13.007 lbs on a ISO calibrated scale at my work.

Stock disc= 11.00 lbs

So 2lb difference.

Well I got 'good news' and 'bad news' regarding the fastbrakes.com 11" front discs.

The 'bad news' is the disc slightly rubs the inner side of the type-r caliper mounting bracket. My guess is the fastbrakes.com disc sits 2-3mm more inward than the stock disc location and rubs a little. NOTE: A 3mm INNER Spoon spacer will put the disc back in the correct location and not rub as Jodele mentioned.

The 'good news' is the type-r caliper bracket can be modified (shaved) for disc clearance if you decide not to use a 3MM spacer. Fastbrakes.com or a machine shop can offer this service and is also mentioned in directions that came in the box.

Anyways thought I let you guys know about the fastbrakes discs is not exactly plug-and-play with the type-r calipers.

But I'm probably still going to try these rotors with the 'modified' caliper bracket option.

Last edited by Evotech8; 08-04-2009 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Added Note
Old 08-04-2009, 09:09 AM
5 Year Member
Update for the conversion

OK...this is an update to what we know for the Type-R front disc brake installation

If anybody has some information we can add to this list, please don't hesitate to post here.

Last edited by Jodele; 08-04-2009 at 02:54 PM. Reason: added machining costs
Old 08-04-2009, 01:56 PM
5 Year Member
^Hey nice summary list!

By the way, fastbrakes.com can modify the intergra type-r caliper brackets to fit their 11" rotors for $60/pr. This is on a exchange basis, so you just send in your caliper bracket and they will send you a modified caliper bracket.

Quick Reply: Integra Type-R front disc brake installation