Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

DIY: Koni Yellows for GD3 rear

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 12:52 PM
5 Year Member
do you have a link or thread with this info?

Old 09-02-2012, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member
That wouldn't surprise me as I was shocked how much thicker the air struts were compared to the stock struts.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:04 PM
5 Year Member
i searched and found a bunch of his threads, and even the one where he was looking for a spare set of struts so he could take a look, but no id's or anything...

Old 09-04-2012, 01:43 AM
5 Year Member
...talking to me?

Originally Posted by apexanimal
do you have a link or thread with this info?
Originally Posted by apexanimal
i searched and found a bunch of his threads, and even the one where he was looking for a spare set of struts so he could take a look, but no id's or anything...
Hey Scott,
Sorry, didn't know you were talking to me. The reason you can't find a thread on "mrfroge's" mod attempt, is because he apparently never made one. The reason that I knew about his efforts, was because I was helping him with this project. The idea came to an end when he determined the I.D. of the OEM strut housing to be too small to accept any of the Koni inserts available at the time.
Don't quote me here, but as I recall, when I called him to tell him that I was ready to start "hacking" off the top of the strut, he told me to wait. A quick measurement of the OEM strut's "O.D." gave a quick indication that this project was a "No Go." Koni's narrowest insert was virtually the same dimension as the O.D. of the OEM strut.
Things may have changed, as this was attempted back in 2007. Perhaps Koni has a "slimmer" insert in their inventory these days.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:26 AM
5 Year Member
^got ya...

i'll try to do a measurement when i can of the od and see what's what and if koni has made any skinnier ones...

have we been able to determine if any other front struts will fit our cars?

Old 09-04-2012, 01:23 PM
5 Year Member
If it comes to it, I do have my stock struts easily available for measurements and or hacking! If I can find an accurate micrometer or caliper around somewhere I can attempt to get those...

Old 09-04-2012, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member
I had measured it as 1.780" when I was looking for struts

Old 09-04-2012, 09:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410
I had measured it as 1.780" when I was looking for struts
Is that ID or OD? Anyway, I did find a link to some dampers that also listed some dimensions. Perhaps there is hope:

Koni Racing - ITT

Old 09-04-2012, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by macbuddy
Is that ID or OD? Anyway, I did find a link to some dampers that also listed some dimensions. Perhaps there is hope:

Koni Racing - ITT

That was OD. So unless it is fairly thin metal it is probably too small to fit the 1.71" Koni OD.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member
why not run a koni shock with ground control sleeve and eibach spring?

Old 09-05-2012, 12:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
why not run a koni shock with ground control sleeve and eibach spring?
Matt, the problem is that you still need the OEM strut housing to bolt to the suspension/frame. I believe the GC system attaches to the modified OEM strut housing. The answer would be to find an aftermarket strut that has a larger diameter housing.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:49 AM
5 Year Member
why can't you make a custom sleeve?

Old 09-05-2012, 01:12 AM
5 Year Member
Group Buy?

Originally Posted by solbrothers
why can't you make a custom sleeve?
Matt, contact GC, and see if they will make a sleeve for us. Maybe if we get enough interest, we can guarantee a group buy of "X" amount of units.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:17 AM
5 Year Member
i am working with a honda-tech sponsor right now to get a good deal on the koni/gc setup for the front along with the saab konis for the rear.

there's a machine shop across the street from my work and I'm going to head over there when i get my konis. it shouldn't be a big deal to get the sleeves made.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:31 AM
5 Year Member
Okay, that sounds interesting. Let us know how it works out. Tell the shop to keep a template of the custom hardware. If this proves somewhat affordable, I might like a set as well.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:20 AM
5 Year Member
it should be very affordable because all it would be is a steel tube with arms on it to mount to the knuckle.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:30 AM
5 Year Member
^ interested...

so for the front it would be mounting point for the bottom, where the koni would also be attached, a gc external sleeve to go around the koni, and then an eibach spring?

*i just reread - no springs involved right? this would be preferable to me so lot of people could use whatever spring they wanted... i think it would be helpful to if we got a range of spring rates that will match up with these dampeners...*

Old 09-05-2012, 10:55 AM
5 Year Member
VERY interested to hear results on this... I have been using the Tokico HTS adjustable struts for a little over 3the years, and alll though they have been excellent I know Tokico is going to discontinue them since they are currently on a 70% discounted clearance... Koni Yellows and Ground Control would be a FANTASTIC replacement!

Old 09-05-2012, 03:32 PM
5 Year Member
Awesome! Thanks for taking the time and making the effort to figure this out.

For the front, Koni doesn't make anything to fit into our strut housings, according to this...

Originally Posted by RedShiftChris
We will be using a custom front strut housing because the Fit housings are so dinky small that none of the Koni inserts fit into it.
From this thread... https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...-interest.html

I'm curious if any of the OTS Koni inserts have the correct valving to work well with the Swift springs. If you guys firgure out a way to get the parts made for the front to use an OTS Koni insert, I'm in! Thanks again for the legwork!!

Edit: I have no interest in "slamming" my car, but I'm curious what the maximum these shocks would take when lowering, IE, how much can the car be lowered before the shocks are riding on the bump stops(and possibly damaging the valving from bottoming). I looked quickly on the Koni website, but couldn't find any specific info...

Last edited by ragingti; 09-05-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member
That company is looking to make a lot of money for doing something a koni shock and ground control sleeve could do

Quick Reply: DIY: Koni Yellows for GD3 rear