Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

: Suspension :

Old 11-17-2014, 01:51 AM
5 Year Member
Question : Suspension :

In 2007, I was "fortunate" enough to purchase a 2007 Honda Fit Sport. Since then I've been through some various suspension setups including stock, Eibach, and currently Buddy Club N+.

Needless to say, I haven't been impressed with any of them. The Eibach's blew the factory shocks, even though they according to Eibach were designed for them, and the Buddy Club N+ ride extremely rough for the soft spring rates they come with.... not to mention the fact that both rear shocks have already blown out prematurely, and now Buddy Club wants $500 for two replacement shocks on a $1200 system.

Given this, I'm now considering replacing the entire suspension setup once again, and would appreciate some feedback. I'm also quite content with the ride height on the Eibach Sportlines, but wouldn't be opposed to something ride height adjustable, only more comfortable than the horrible quality of the Buddy Club N+.

Eibach Sportlines
Name:  OrangeCleanBuffaloBill.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  133.3 KB

Buddy Club N+
Name:  OrangeCleanWinnipegBeach_zps0fba9d32.png
Views: 1004
Size:  1.09 MB

Old 11-17-2014, 08:14 AM
5 Year Member
Your options are limited dude.

I HATED the Tein S-Techs I had on my GD.

Coil-over options are super limited too.

If money is no huge issue, I'd try and find a set of J-spec Ohlins dampers.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:51 PM
5 Year Member
I am very happy with my redshift koni/gc. Also, your ride quality sucks because you are pretty low. I noticed that every inxh i raised my car up the ride quality got better 100x.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:25 PM
5 Year Member
Man, if you can find a set I'd recommend Tokico HTS (aka Reds) adjustable dampers and either Ground Control's coilover conversion kit or lowering springs of your preference. Konis are another good strut/shock choice as well.

Old 11-18-2014, 02:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
Your options are limited dude.

I HATED the Tein S-Techs I had on my GD.

Coil-over options are super limited too.

If money is no huge issue, I'd try and find a set of J-spec Ohlins dampers.
I wouldn't even remotely consider Tein S-Techs, probably the worst choice for any vehicle sadly. If I could find Ohlins, I most definitely would purchase them, but they're extremely hard to come by.

Originally Posted by solbrothers
I am very happy with my redshift koni/gc. Also, your ride quality sucks because you are pretty low. I noticed that every inxh i raised my car up the ride quality got better 100x.
My Civic is just as low, and it rides significantly better, then again it never sees winter. And to be completely honest, the Eibach setup also road very nice, and I really didn't mind the ride height, but it currently rides like garbage because the Buddy Club N+ is Made in Taiwan junk. Worst choice ever.... lol

Originally Posted by Hootie
Man, if you can find a set I'd recommend Tokico HTS (aka Reds) adjustable dampers and either Ground Control's coilover conversion kit or lowering springs of your preference. Konis are another good strut/shock choice as well.
Hmm I wasn't aware Tokico made adjustable shocks for the Honda Fit given it's limited production run here in North America. I honestly wouldn't mind going that route, as I've read extremely good things about Tokico Blues and Ground Controls.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:50 AM
5 Year Member
The HTS are mega expensive and tough to come by.

You also may want to consider the J's or Mugen shock/spring combo.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by JaySmith

My Civic is just as low, and it rides significantly better, then again it never sees winter. And to be completely honest, the Eibach setup also road very nice, and I really didn't mind the ride height, but it currently rides like garbage because the Buddy Club N+ is Made in Taiwan junk. Worst choice ever.... lol
The fit has a shorter wheel base then the civic, it's going to ride rougher. I have heard good things about KWs on other cars, might be worth looking into. From my experience I really liked the progress lowering springs.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member
Hmm I wasn't aware Tokico made adjustable shocks for the Honda Fit given it's limited production run here in North America. I honestly wouldn't mind going that route, as I've read extremely good things about Tokico Blues and Ground Controls.
Yup, you may be able to snag a set from Spencer at Bean Garage (vendor here). I've gotten mine from him and haven't been disappointed with my choice at ALL (was waiting on the Buddy Clubs). Though it was pricey at the time, it was well worth in terms of adjustablity, performance, and ride comfort.

Originally Posted by mike410b
The HTS are mega expensive and tough to come by.

You also may want to consider the J's or Mugen shock/spring combo.
Yes, but they are AWESOME! Riding around on 500 lb springs front and rear with the dampers at half stiff feels like a couch after autocross days. T1R's and Mugen/Showa dampers are a good damper alternative... I actually forgot about them.

Originally Posted by MNfit
The fit has a shorter wheel base then the civic, it's going to ride rougher. I have heard good things about KWs on other cars, might be worth looking into. From my experience I really liked the progress lowering springs.
Progress springs are actually VERY comfortable for a civil and practical minded, daily driver. Almost to the point of feeling near that of stock; though, I wouldn't really recommend them to anyone that does frequently push their car on a somewhat regular basis due to that. Tanabe GF210s would be a good alternative in that case and offer a very similar drop.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MNfit
He has an EK, the wheelbases are very similar. His Civic just has suspension that is actually independent at all four corners.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:28 AM
5 Year Member
In general coilovers will give you a harsher ride especially being LOW. I'd go with a koni/spring combo or something in those lines.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:00 AM
s0x
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rollerboots666
In general coilovers will give you a harsher ride especially being LOW. I'd go with a koni/spring combo or something in those lines.
even though this is a reply to roller boots. its a general question but i am pretty ignorant in this category. What is the difference between having full coilovers vs spring/koni or tokico setup? just the adjustability?

Old 11-24-2014, 02:54 AM
5 Year Member
In terms of coilovers versus a spring and shock setup, your suspension's adjustability varies. I'll list off GD3 suspension setups to get an idea in this post

Coilovers typically feature BOTH ride height adjustment and dampening adjustment. Megan Racing and T1R are two examples of coilover for the GD3 that has this feature. NOT ALL coilovers do have dampening adjustment, like Tein for both the GD3 and the GE8... They do indeed feature height adjustment, allow preload to be set on the struts BUT DON'T allow for dampening adjustment.

Spring/Shock combos are just that. You simply have a spring that features a fixed ride height and spring rate (unless its a progressive rate spring), without the option to adjust ride height. The similar is true with MOST shocks for the GD3 as well, they're usually plug and play without any way of adjusting for pre-load or ride height, only select models feature dampening adjustment like the Tokico HTS or Koni Yellow.

Now, its it possible to convert a normal spring/shock setup to a coilover so you can adjust for ride height? Yes, Ground Control used to make a coilover conversion kit which just consisted of adjustment sleeves, lock collars, and 2.5 inch diameter springs.

The KEY to having a good suspension set up is all down to how well the shock's valving works with the spring rate. Too stiff of a shock/too soft of a spring and you'll just be puckering up with every little bump you hit in the road. Too soft of a shock/too stiff of a spring and you'll be bouncing down the road due to your springs constantly compressing and decompression from bumps and the dampers not dampening/reducing the vehicle from bouncing around.

Old 11-25-2014, 11:59 PM
5 Year Member
Yup, you may be able to snag a set from Spencer at Bean Garage (vendor here). I've gotten mine from him and haven't been disappointed with my choice at ALL (was waiting on the Buddy Clubs). Though it was pricey at the time, it was well worth in terms of adjustablity, performance, and ride comfort.

Yes, but they are AWESOME! Riding around on 500 lb springs front and rear with the dampers at half stiff feels like a couch after autocross days. T1R's and Mugen/Showa dampers are a good damper alternative... I actually forgot about them.

Progress springs are actually VERY comfortable for a civil and practical minded, daily driver. Almost to the point of feeling near that of stock; though, I wouldn't really recommend them to anyone that does frequently push their car on a somewhat regular basis due to that. Tanabe GF210s would be a good alternative in that case and offer a very similar drop.

Amazing information. I've already started to inquire with a local company whom I used to work for to see if they're able to find the Tokico HTS, hopefully at a respectable price. Reason I say this is, I was on Amazon and was able to find just the rear shocks for $139ea. Only downfall, is now finding the fronts.

I'm contemplating running Ground Controls which have been around for years within the import scene, but sadly according to Ground Control they aren't designed for the Tokico HTS's, which is bizarre to me given that they say they're compatible with the Tokico Blue's.

And for the record, anyone considering Buddy Club N+, do yourself a favor, and save your money.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:44 AM
5 Year Member
Amazing information. I've already started to inquire with a local company whom I used to work for to see if they're able to find the Tokico HTS, hopefully at a respectable price. Reason I say this is, I was on Amazon and was able to find just the rear shocks for $139ea. Only downfall, is now finding the fronts.

I'm contemplating running Ground Controls which have been around for years within the import scene, but sadly according to Ground Control they aren't designed for the Tokico HTS's, which is bizarre to me given that they say they're compatible with the Tokico Blue's.

And for the record, anyone considering Buddy Club N+, do yourself a favor, and save your money.
Nice, I hope you can score a set for cheap. I've yet to be disappointed with this setup other than how steep the price is (but you have to pay to play).

I can tell you without a doubt though that the Ground Control kit DOES work with the HTS because I'm running it. Sure the actual adjustment sleeve does fit a bit loose and the front springs will freely move in strut assembly with NO WEIGHT on it (you can get a tender spring to help compensate for the gap/looseness), once the suspension finally has the vehicle's weight on it everything will be fine.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:57 PM
5 Year Member
Been searching, and searching for Tokico HTS for the 2007-2008 Honda Fit.... and sadly these seem to be some of the hardest shocks to come by. Does anyone happen to have any leads, or recommendations on other shocks to potentially consider?

Old 03-19-2015, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member
I could have sworn I recently seen someone else post up a for sale thread for HTSs recently that were BNIB. Look around the forum for a bit.

07-08 Fit

Koni's via Red Shift Chris. You'll be able to get both the Ground Control coilovers AND dampers from them.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:51 AM
5 Year Member
I could have sworn I recently seen someone else post up a for sale thread for HTSs recently that were BNIB. Look around the forum for a bit.

07-08 Fit

Koni's via Red Shift Chris. You'll be able to get both the Ground Control coilovers AND dampers from them.
There was someone on here selling a complete set, sadly we couldn't come to terms before the ad disappeared, and the seller has now stopped answering PMs.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:01 PM
5 Year Member
What out there is still avilable?

Tokico HTS are currently hard to find and back ordered until July.
Koni Orange are also on back order for 6-8 weeks.
Tein Basics are discontinued.

I'm to the point where this vehicle is now illegal, and I'm unable to find anything sadly. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:40 PM
5 Year Member
Take a look at HSD coilovers. Or function and form.

I ride on HSD. Love em. I ride almost completely stiff. Haven't experienced the soft setting yet. That'll for winter. Lol.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GinoLicious
Take a look at HSD coilovers. Or function and form.

I ride on HSD. Love em. I ride almost completely stiff. Haven't experienced the soft setting yet. That'll for winter. Lol.
I'm considering them. However I've been informed they're very similar to the Buddy Club N+.... if that's the case I'll be avoiding them at all costs.

How are they for daily driving in your honest opinion? Would you mind adjusting them to be softer and give your feedback?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: : Suspension :