Check Engine Light Documented: Rocker Arm Oil Pressure Switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 08:38 AM
Check Engine Light Documented: Rocker Arm Oil Pressure Switch

I was on the way back from a trip when my check engine light (CEL) came on. The car had been driving along nicely up until this—getting around 37mpg at 75mph. I have an auto SSM Sport model with ~33,500 miles.

There was no message in the information screen (the one under the fuel gauge), so I was pretty sure it wasn't just caused by the gas cap being loose. After the light came on, the first thing I noticed was that the cruise control became inoperable. Then I noticed that the car had far less power, and it even juddered once when the engine reached higher RPMs going up a steep hill. My fuel economy began to suffer slightly as well.

I felt comfortable enough to keep driving the car near the same speed, so long as I didn't let the RPMs surpass 3k.

I was able to make it to my destination an hour later, and took the car to a dealer the next morning. They said that the CEL was caused by a faulty rocker arm oil pressure switch. While I couldn't get confirmation from the dealer, I'm fairly certain that the car went into "limp home mode," which could explain the lack of power, fuel economy, and cruise control.

Luckily, another dealer nearby had the switch. Once the dealer replaced it (under warranty), I was good to go. Here is the actual description of what the dealer did straight from the work order:

Customer states check engine light on since yesterday.
Scanned code: P2647 - Rocker Arm Oil Pressure Switch Circuit High Voltage, checked oil level was OK; switch internally failed.
Replaced rocker arm oil pressure switch, reset ECM, and performed VTEC test, operating correctly now.
Cleared codes during test procedures.
Part number 37250-PNE-G01
Everything seems to be running fine since then.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:02 AM
5 Year Member
Interesting, so the car must have this oil pressure sensor in the head to make sure the top end gets enough pressure? If it falls below a certain # it lets the ECU know.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:47 PM
5 Year Member
Its the vtec oil pressure switch. It allows the computer to initiate vtec when it sees enough oil pressure. That is why it was running like crap above 3k, vtec wasnt engaging.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:42 PM
5 Year Member
Just got the same CEL myself, and in limp mode the rev limiter resets to 4K. This is nearly exactly what I saw as well. Oddly enough it's taken my car about an hour for limp mode to kick in, and if you turn it off and on it goes away for about an hour. The Autozone guy had a great look on his face when he read the code.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:37 PM
Interesting, I had this light come on about a week ago and got it fixed last Friday. I was still able to get up to speed, but it had felt sluggish for quite a while and my fuel economy has not been the best for quite a while. I just hit 10,000 miles a few days after the fix.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:59 PM
5 Year Member
Of course, when I went to the dealer, the light shut off, but they were able to find the code in the memory. They ran the VTEC checks and all came out well, so they were stumped. In the end, the mechanic speculated it may be due to the non-Honda oil filter I had since the oil was changed elsewhere. They claim to have had that issue with other Honda engines, although this CEL really stumped them. They changed my oil and filter and no issues since then.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:55 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
i think it has something to do with oil levels. just make sure the oil is at the right level and this light will never come back on.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:41 AM
5 Year Member
Oil level is one possible cause, but my oil levels were fine based on my check and the dealers'. I think I have a bad switch or maybe it is due to the oil filter as the dealer suggested. I may not see it for a while as it seemed to only happen after 1+ hours of highway driving and I don't foresee any of that in the near future.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:45 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mattpuchlerz
I was on the way back from a trip when my check engine light (CEL) came on. The car had been driving along nicely up until this—getting around 37mpg at 75mph. I have an auto SSM Sport model with ~33,500 miles.

There was no message in the information screen (the one under the fuel gauge), so I was pretty sure it wasn't just caused by the gas cap being loose. After the light came on, the first thing I noticed was that the cruise control became inoperable. Then I noticed that the car had far less power, and it even juddered once when the engine reached higher RPMs going up a steep hill. My fuel economy began to suffer slightly as well.

I felt comfortable enough to keep driving the car near the same speed, so long as I didn't let the RPMs surpass 3k.

I was able to make it to my destination an hour later, and took the car to a dealer the next morning. They said that the CEL was caused by a faulty rocker arm oil pressure switch. While I couldn't get confirmation from the dealer, I'm fairly certain that the car went into "limp home mode," which could explain the lack of power, fuel economy, and cruise control.

Luckily, another dealer nearby had the switch. Once the dealer replaced it (under warranty), I was good to go. Here is the actual description of what the dealer did straight from the work order:

Everything seems to be running fine since then.
this happened to me when my car was 2 hours old.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:28 PM
I was coming back from a long trip when it happened to me too. And my oil levels are fine. I am due up for my 2nd oil change in a couple of weeks. They said it was just a defective part. I bet they just got a bad batch of these parts. I'd be curious if the defective ones from our cars were all made on the same day. Oh well, too late now.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:31 PM
Anyone know if the dealers have issued a TIB on the issue or anything?

Old 02-18-2009, 05:31 AM
No TIB as yet that I know of and not at the 4 dealers that I have been to .... they are clue-less and now are probably going to need to buy the car back .... ugh!

Old 09-15-2009, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
Got my fit on Friday and this same thing happened to my wife yesterday. The problem seemed to fix itself by the time we got it to the dealership. They acknowledged that it was a problem with vtec but that nothing required service. We'll see if it comes up again.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:44 PM
S Brake ... did you get a service report from them? ... even though the light went out, they should still be able to see it had the error when they hook it up to the computer ... so, they should have known what the issue was and by clearing the codes that was an attempt to repair. I ended up having 5 different repairs made and they never repaired it ... needless to say, the Fit is still sitting in my driveway waiting on VA courts to hear the case. Hopefully you will have better luck with yours ... One thing I have noticed with mine, having it this long (a year) with the same problem is that it was more prevalent when it was colder outside ... it seems to run much better in warm weather and the light comes on less frequently.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:43 PM
5 Year Member
Their service report said that the rocker arm oil pressure switch had malfunctioned but that there weren't any further problems. We were told that if it did happen again that we should get the part replaced. VTEC is workng fine now and I'll be driving it from Dallas to Lubbock tomorrow so I will have plenty of time to test it out.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:38 AM
5 Year Member
mine just went. EXACTLY the same symptoms. started a week or so ago. the car wouldnt go into open loop. every time i tried the CEL would blink then the car would go into limp mode. Then yesterday the CEL stayed on. same code. hesitation and the car stalled once on my way to class last night.

So glad someone posted this. My oil is slightly high when i checked last night. I'll be changing it tonight and swapping out the vtec solenoid and oil pressure switch from my spare engine.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:17 PM
5 Year Member
[quote=mattpuchlerz;267180]I was on the way back from a trip when my check engine light (CEL) came on. The car had been driving along nicely up until this—getting around 37mpg at 75mph. I have an auto SSM Sport model with ~33,500 miles.

I have the same problem except that my Sports feature is out as well. The dealership said he reset the system and that has resolve the P2647 problem. However, my cruise and sport feature is still out. he said a drive reel problem? have to bring it in again.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:25 PM
Would be good to add a signature w/ year/model of your ride so others can benefit..

This issue has just been posted by others. Dealer let you go?? What's a drive reel problem I wonder. How was your oil levels, this code can be tripped by low oil levels/pressure. Shows up as an intermediate problem.

K_C_ EDIT: hgly, I see you're running two posts on this - would suggest keeping it in your original post. Things are confusing enough around here...LOL

Last edited by Krimson_Cardnal; 06-27-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:15 AM
Cool

We just had dealer replace our VTEC oil pressure switch in our 2008 honda fit 60k miles .........same symtoms.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:50 PM
5 Year Member
so the only way to get this fixed is to take it to the dealer and have them reset and reinstall a new sensor.

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light Documented: Rocker Arm Oil Pressure Switch