Basic Upgrades To Go faster?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 03:44 PM
5 Year Member
Question Basic Upgrades To Go faster?

Hi there Guy's,

I Have A JDM Honda Fit 2005 1.5L Vtec CVT Transmission, Full Mugen Body Kit, Mugen Visors, Mugen Shock Absorbers, Custom Exhaust Manifold with Heat Wrap on, Custom Fuel Rail don't know wich it is but it color changes .

Would Like To Know What Are The Basic Upgrades That I Can Install To Get Bit More Power Out Of My Car?

Old 10-16-2014, 04:41 PM
5 Year Member
Anything to get air in or out of your car faster will help, cold air or short ram intake, headers, and a cat-back exhaust are usually the first steps. If you live in a place where they don't have smog emission testing you can get rid of the cat all together and go with a test pipe. I installed a short ram, headers, and a cat-back exhaust and I've noticed a big difference, especially on the highway.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:05 PM
5 Year Member
I Live In The Caribbean right off the coast of Venezuela on an island Called Curacao.

Never heard of that here so i don't think that we have that, about my performance parts i have Cold Air intake and full Mugen Catback to with double muffler i recieved the car like this so i wanna get more power out of this engine i have something on my mind a K20 Type R engine in it but not right now, just wanna do the basics on this engine and a bit more before i go for the K20 Type R engine.

Thanks for the advice tho

Old 10-17-2014, 08:59 AM
5 Year Member
There are a lot of upgrades to get power out of your engine. If you're filtering all that power through a CVT, how much more power do you think you're actually going to get out of the car?

If I had to drive a CVT I'd focus on tires and suspension, making the most of whatever power manages to sneak past the CVT.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:18 AM
5 Year Member
Wheels i have nangkang tires with some OZ Racing 16" White rims, Mugen Shock Absorbers like i said already lowered, i got them lowered when i ordered the car.

Gonna check if i can send a picture so u guys can c.

Old 10-18-2014, 05:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit Charlie
There are a lot of upgrades to get power out of your engine. If you're filtering all that power through a CVT, how much more power do you think you're actually going to get out of the car?

If I had to drive a CVT I'd focus on tires and suspension, making the most of whatever power manages to sneak past the CVT.

How much power would you say the CVT is filtering out? How much would I gain if I were using an standard automatic or a manual transmission?

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 10-18-2014 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
You can't gain power with a transmission, but you can pick one that loses the least amount of power. I'd figure if you like power or at least know ahead of time that the engine you're getting is underpowered then your first step would be to get one with a transmission that doesn't waste any of it.

In the lamest possible way of comparing the transmissions in the 2015, Car and Driver did 0-60 in 8.0 with a manual while Edmunds managed to get it down to 8.8 seconds with a CVT. In the quarter, Car and Driver's manual finished in 16.2 seconds at 86 mph, beating the Edmunds CVT with its 16.6 seconds at 85.2 mph.

Your sig shows that you've added enough power to get your CVT over the quarter a bit over 0.8 faster than Edmunds did. Getting a manual would have had you halfway there when you left the showroom. But a standing start isn't where the real losses are: that's everywhere else on the road that you hit the gas and the transmission has to think about what to do. Asking hydraulics and belts "pretty, please" takes power that could be spent driving the wheels.

Old 10-21-2014, 03:03 PM
5 Year Member
Question

Originally Posted by Fit Charlie
You can't gain power with a transmission, but you can pick one that loses the least amount of power. I'd figure if you like power or at least know ahead of time that the engine you're getting is underpowered then your first step would be to get one with a transmission that doesn't waste any of it.

In the lamest possible way of comparing the transmissions in the 2015, Car and Driver did 0-60 in 8.0 with a manual while Edmunds managed to get it down to 8.8 seconds with a CVT. In the quarter, Car and Driver's manual finished in 16.2 seconds at 86 mph, beating the Edmunds CVT with its 16.6 seconds at 85.2 mph.

Your sig shows that you've added enough power to get your CVT over the quarter a bit over 0.8 faster than Edmunds did. Getting a manual would have had you halfway there when you left the showroom. But a standing start isn't where the real losses are: that's everywhere else on the road that you hit the gas and the transmission has to think about what to do. Asking hydraulics and belts "pretty, please" takes power that could be spent driving the wheels.
So what your explaining here is that it's not worth it?

Old 10-22-2014, 10:00 AM
5 Year Member
Worth it is up to you, but adding power through a sloppy collection of belts and hydraulics run by computers that don't know what you're trying to do seems to be the least effective way to add performance.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tha Dragon
Hi there Guy's,

I Have A JDM Honda Fit 2005 1.5L Vtec CVT Transmission, Full Mugen Body Kit, Mugen Visors, Mugen Shock Absorbers, Custom Exhaust Manifold with Heat Wrap on, Custom Fuel Rail don't know wich it is but it color changes .

Would Like To Know What Are The Basic Upgrades That I Can Install To Get Bit More Power Out Of My Car?
What I suggest is that you somehow modify your intake to get more horsepower. You'll get some gains by allowing the air/fuel ratios to run a little leaner. You can make modifications to your stock intake or design your own. I have not seen any intakes for the Fit just yet. From my experience, stay away from any intakes that have your air filter inside the engine bay, back by the firewall. I lost horsepower doing this.

Also, lighter wheels will allow your CVT to rev up quicker and get your in into your powerband quicker.

Also, you can accelerate faster by pumping your gas pedal instead of just flooring it. I've posted videos in a thread on how to accelerate your CVT faster. Pump the gas pedal while whether you are in 'D', 'S' or even 'L' gear. You will accelerate faster. Watch your rpm gauge when you do this and let me know how it goes. Pump it until the rpm gets up to about 6000rpm then just continue flooring it.

I'm telling you these things not by guess work. I've been testing these over and over and over again. Good luck!

As far as comparing a CVT to a manual. I wouldn't mind racing against one. I let the results speak for itself. In the meantime, enjoy this video.

JRSC Honda CRZ CVT vs JRSC Honda CRZ 6MT Speed Test - YouTube

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 10-25-2014 at 07:42 AM.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:53 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
What I suggest is that you somehow modify your intake to get more horsepower. You'll get some gains by allowing the air/fuel ratios to run a little leaner. You can make modifications to your stock intake or design your own. I have not seen any intakes for the Fit just yet. From my experience, stay away from any intakes that have your air filter inside the engine bay, back by the firewall. I lost horsepower doing this.

Also, lighter wheels will allow your CVT to rev up quicker and get your in into your powerband quicker.

Also, you can accelerate faster by pumping your gas pedal instead of just flooring it. I've posted videos in a thread on how to accelerate your CVT faster. Pump the gas pedal while whether you are in 'D', 'S' or even 'L' gear. You will accelerate faster. Watch your rpm gauge when you do this and let me know how it goes. Pump it until the rpm gets up to about 6000rpm then just continue flooring it.

I'm telling you these things not by guess work. I've been testing these over and over and over again. Good luck!

As far as comparing a CVT to a manual. I wouldn't mind racing against one. I let the results speak for itself. In the meantime, enjoy this video.

JRSC Honda CRZ CVT vs JRSC Honda CRZ 6MT Speed Test - YouTube
CVT's take no skill to drive fast.

A manual can have a run ruined for any number of reasons....that doesn't mean a CVT is a better enthusiast's platform.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
CVT's take no skill to drive fast.

A manual can have a run ruined for any number of reasons....that doesn't mean a CVT is a better enthusiast's platform.
I'm not one to debate either way. Certainly not one for excuses either. Unfortunately, you are in Wisconsin. I'd let you drive my car and then I'd drive it for comparison. We could simply post up video results for comparison and discussion. Straight line performance or twisties.

If there is anyone on the boards that is willing to take their Fit to the track, I'd either let them drive mine or compare mine to their manual trannied Fit. Let's set a date and time, test and discuss.

That video is just one case in point. I'm not concerned with driver skill though. Only what works and what doesn't. The manual got 'smoked'. The driver was consistently ruining the results? *Scratching Head* In each run? I'm simply answering the OP's question based on my own experience with the Fit CVT. That's it! Nothing else...

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 10-25-2014 at 11:32 PM.