Fit Wheels & Tires Discuss Wheels & Tires for the Fit and Jazz

If i run rims with out TPMS ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 04:58 PM
If i run rims with out TPMS ?

if i run the rims i am getting with out tpms will it hurt my computer or just thro the light and everything will be fine besides the light? ciz im not worried about the light im just worried about it messing with the computer, cuz i know in my civic if i thro a code it will go in to protect mod run rich and all that good stuff, i dont think the TPMS would do anything like that but just woundering if anyone knows or how many people dont run the TPMS at all?

Old 05-01-2008, 05:19 PM
5 Year Member
yeah i think all you will have is just the light.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:11 AM
If you make trips less than 20 miles then completely turn off your engine, your TPMS light probably won't go on. You can always switch back to the wheels with the TPMS and drive for 20 miles or so just to get the light off. I drove about 100 miles+ (a bunch of short trips for about a month) without the TPMS going on. It only went on because I had to drive more 20 miles one day. It doesn't seem to affect much. Just gives you the annoying yellow-orange light on your dash.

Old 05-05-2008, 03:45 AM
i swapped it. and all i have is the light nothing wrong with the car.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by VBP08GD3
i swapped it. and all i have is the light nothing wrong with the car.
Your dash light is on. Your car is fine.

Did you mark which wheels were in what locations originally on your car when you took the wheel off?

Which is right front vs left rear etc.

If so then if you want you can put the wheels back on in their original locations and the dash light will turn off.

Store the wheels far away from your parked car and it's likely you will be able to use your car without the dash light coming back on.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:34 PM
edit. read your post wrong lol.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wala nang boost
edit. read your post wrong lol.
No problem.

When it is time for rotation they do the normal rotation of all four tires and wheels then they use a special Honda reset tool to sync the new location of each wheel sensor with the car's ECU. Now all is good.

As far as I can tell only Honda can do this reset and aftermarket tools cannot do it yet. Plus the tool is expensive. Some cars with access to software can do their own reset from the Nav screen on dash. Most cars cannot reset.

Be very careful not to damage a TPMS since they are expensive.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:10 PM
5 Year Member
Will removing your fuse for the TPMS eliminate the dash lights, or are you just going to have to remove the bulbs?

Old 05-19-2008, 06:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Buzzbomb
Will removing your fuse for the TPMS eliminate the dash lights, or are you just going to have to remove the bulbs?
I answered my own question. Removing the fuse will cause the TPMS malfunction light to go off.

I then removed the gauge cluster (not all they way, just enough that I could get my hand behind it) and found that there are no bulb holes! It's just flat! I didn't have the time to take it completely out and try to disassemble it to see if I could get to them.

This sucks! I want to put on different wheels, but I really don't want these nanny lights on.

I like my old Honda's where everything was the same from year to year.

Old 05-22-2008, 03:10 AM
5 Year Member
Are you serious, you can't rotate without assistance now due to TPMS?

Old 05-23-2008, 05:05 PM
5 Year Member
Snip... I answered my own question. Removing the fuse will cause the TPMS malfunction light to go off.
That's not my experience today. New HFP 16-inch wheels and the TPMS light came on after a hard bump during road testing. Removed the #18 fuse, TPMS lamp still on. Disconnected the battery, TPMS lamp still on. Put the fuse back in, disconnected the battery, TPMS lamp still on. I don't know how you got yours to go out, but I can't recreate the TPMS lamp going off with just a simple fuse removal.
-Rod

Old 05-23-2008, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xorbe
Are you serious, you can't rotate without assistance now due to TPMS?
Originally Posted by MINI-Fit
When it is time for rotation they do the normal rotation of all four tires and wheels then they use a special Honda reset tool to sync the new location of each wheel sensor with the car's ECU. Now all is good.

As far as I can tell only Honda can do this reset and aftermarket tools cannot do it yet. Plus the tool is expensive. Some cars with access to software can do their own reset from the Nav screen on dash. Most cars cannot reset.

Be very careful not to damage a TPMS since they are expensive.
Thats not entirely true. Yes the ecu syncs each sensor and gives it a placement i.e. F-Right F-Left R-Right R-left. However they do not sync the system every time you get a rotation. I worked at Honda for a while and NEVER did i sync the sensors nor was i instructed to while doing a rotate/balance.

The use of the scan tool takes awhile and if very expensive to the customer(1hr diag time anytime you have to use it. which means $70-90 depending on the dealership just for re syncing)

The only issue it causes is that if one tire gets low beyond spec the ecu will tell you its the right front however it will be where ever the original right front tire is on the car now. The ecu will not set a light or know the different placement of the wheel. I just knows the temp/pressure of the wheel/tire its in. Like i said it will just think its in the right front when its actually in the left rear or something along those lines.

Dont be afraid to rotate your own tires it will not hurt anything.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rodpaine
That's not my experience today. New HFP 16-inch wheels and the TPMS light came on after a hard bump during road testing. Removed the #18 fuse, TPMS lamp still on. Disconnected the battery, TPMS lamp still on. Put the fuse back in, disconnected the battery, TPMS lamp still on. I don't know how you got yours to go out, but I can't recreate the TPMS lamp going off with just a simple fuse removal.
-Rod
Sorry, I didn't phrase it correctly. When I said go off, I meant turn on or activate. Kinda like a car alarm going off. That was my thinking. Makes a lot of sense huh?

Old 05-24-2008, 04:07 AM
so we have to go to honda if we want thi light out if we swap out the wheels...thats ***...WHY? Honda WHY?

Old 05-24-2008, 09:18 AM
5 Year Member
Sorry, I didn't phrase it correctly. When I said go off, I meant turn on or activate. Kinda like a car alarm going off.
Okay. Unfortunately, the bottom line is that you can't turn the TPMS fault lamp off, without dealer assistance. I'll be going into the circuits to delete this, once I have the factory 2008 manual.

For those of you thinking about the HFP 16" wheels and different tires, having run them for a few days on fast back roads, my opinion is that this is what the "Sport" option should have included, versus the awful Dunlop SP31 A/S tires, especially in the rain where the Dunlops are not at all satisfactory. My frame of reference are Yokohama AVS Sport tires on other vehicles, which exhibit great wet and dry traction. I am running the General Exclaim UHP 205/45-16 (from Tire Rack) on the HFP wheels (from Bernardi Parts) and my initial experience with this setup is very good. I'll know more after a 1300+ mile trip in a couple of weeks, as I'll have fuel mileage data on this wheel/tire configuration. After 2500 miles on the Dunlop/15" wheels, my average is 38.55 MPG.
FWIW,
-Rod

Rod's Honda Fit webpage

Last edited by rodpaine; 05-24-2008 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Change to new Honda Fit web page created today.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rodpaine
Okay. Unfortunately, the bottom line is that you can't turn the TPMS fault lamp off, without dealer assistance. I'll be going into the circuits to delete this, once I have the factory 2008 manual.
I'm thinking the exact same thing. I'm looking for someone that has a Helms manual to scan a couple of schematics for me for the gauge cluster. I have an idea that I'm going to try this weekend. If anything comes of it, I'll post the results.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member
Your have to put it in learn mode. i know with chevy and nissans you dont need a scan tool. there is a sequence such as the chevy tahoes sent parking brake and turn the headlight switch on and off 3 or 4 times. you will then hear a honk. then if you dont have a tool then u can let the air out of the tires in the specific order until you hear a honk. not sure if hondas are the same way. i havent read my manuel about that yet.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:39 AM
5 Year Member
so basicly everyone is saying that if i where to buy new wheels
id have to take the tpms out of the stock wheels and put them in my new wheels

to keep that light off

no if i where to put winter tires back on my OEM wheels and not install the tpms back in the light would go on.
and for the summer time the light would go off with the aftermarkets back on??

Old 06-04-2008, 01:06 PM
5 Year Member
You could just take it back to honda and tell ask them if they can reprogram it without tpms. they might do it for you. the only time you really need tpms is with runflats cause you cant tell they are flat. but other than that you really dont need it. i work for chevy and we have so many probs with them sensors always mess up and they are like $60 ea.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Previc93
You could just take it back to honda and tell ask them if they can reprogram it without tpms. they might do it for you. the only time you really need tpms is with runflats cause you cant tell they are flat. but other than that you really dont need it. i work for chevy and we have so many probs with them sensors always mess up and they are like $60 ea.
By law all 08+ cars have to have TPMS. If I remember right you cant disable it eather with a computer, so im pretty sure going to honda to ask them to disable the light will just resalt in a wast of time. I have been runnign with my aftermarket wheels for a few months now with the TPMS light on and no problems, one wierd thing thoudh I took the car to the dealer for a oil change then on the way home I realised the TPMS light was off. The light stayed off for about a week untill I drove more then 20 miles

Quick Reply: If i run rims with out TPMS ?