Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Constant speed "stutter"

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 02:38 PM
5 Year Member
Constant speed "stutter"

I'm not sure exactly how to describe the issue I'm having with my '07 Fit S - Auto, but I'll try.

It seems to happen two times - when I'm at a stop sign and when I'm on the highway travelling at a constant speed. I highly suspect it happens other times, this may be the only time its noticeable.

When driving down a flat stretch of highway at a constant speed it almost feels like you hit a small bump in the road, though I could also describe it as a slight hesitation. The transmission is not shifting and it happens whether or not the AC is on (i.e. its not the compressor engaging). I've watched the tach when it happens and it does register as a slight decrease in engine speed - though it doesn't feel like the engine is skipping or anything. More like the engine is being asked to pick up additional load.

The second time I feel it is when I'm at a stop sign with the car in gear and foot on the brake, it feels like the transmission drops in and out of gear - again like a slight bump. It happens worse when the AC is on, and like on the highway, I can see the event happen on the tach.

I'm calling the shop tomorrow (I have 4K miles to go on my warranty). I tried searching and couldn't find anything here - though I imagine there are many ways to describe this issue.

Anyone have any ideas? I find its far better to go into the shop with more information. I am fearful that they will be unable to duplicate the problem or say "its the way it is" when I know this only started happening a few weeks ago. I would suspect that issues like this would be noticeable during acceleration, but its not. Right now I think its transmission related, but that's just an opinion based on limited facts.

John

Old 08-26-2008, 12:09 PM
i've noticed the same thing in my 5sp. but all other hondas that i have owned have done the same thing i just ignore it. i tried taking my 03 civic ex to honda and they coulndt find anything wrong with it.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:58 PM
I noticed it too. Only happens to me between 35-50mph usually. Constant as well. Almost feels like it's going to completely stall out for no reason. My Del Sol did it too, but WAY worse. I'm not too worried about it yet.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member
my Fit hasn't done anything like that. idk? my friend's isuzu rodeo does something similar to what you are describing but that thing is 4WD and has like 100,000 miles on it.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:49 PM
next time you're going 40-50 and steady at that speed, turn the music off and wait a few minutes. You'll notice a little KICK and the rpms drop by 1 or 200 for a split second. It's something most people wouldn't even notice I assume...only the truly obsessed and OCD.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:51 PM
5 Year Member
have them check your spark plugs for fouling. I've had two sets go bad on me. Both sets of plugs went when I had a supercharger on it. After they fouled, they would misfire and the engine would hiccup and hesitate. Very annoying.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:09 PM
shit dude. Should I get an aftermarket brand or go to Honda and get OEM?

Old 08-26-2008, 04:46 PM
I had this problem with all my cars nissan and my fit ever since alcohol got thrown into the gas mix. Alcohol mixes with water and coagulates into crisco consistency and may clog the injector or injectors for split seconds and cause slight stalls. The fix is water removing gas additive every three months or so.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:07 PM
thank god someone else noticed this also

i freak when it happens. it only does it in 5th like every other day usualy around 45-50

Old 09-06-2008, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member
omg man. mine does that too. mine does that A LOT tho. Like when i'm at a stop sign, the car feels like it "hiccups" and the engine drops rpm's and goes back up. it also happens when i'm driving at a constant speed at low rpm's, i feel like its' "hiccuping" while i drive. It does happen a LOT at a stop sign w/ the ac on. i always feel like the car is about 2 die on me. At first i thought it was my mods so i started pulling em off until i could find the problem but once i pulled everything off and it was still doing it, i realized it's just the engine.

Can you please update us regarding this issue? i wanna know what the dealership is gonna say.

edit: i remember it started doing this after i changed the spark plugs. I replace them with exact oem plugs (ngk iridiums) but now im thinking of em is bad. I havn't gotten any CEL's. Just let us know what the dealership is gonna say.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:12 PM
5 Year Member
I haven't done any mods to my Fit. I have been trying to make sure I can make it happen consistently before I bring it in. I was messing around today and have it narrowed down. It happens pretty consistently if I keep it in gear at a stop sign with the AC on. If I put the car in Park it doesn't happen at all. If I turn off the AC it still happens, but not very frequently.

I'll post up after I take it in.

John

Last edited by Jisch; 09-06-2008 at 09:15 PM.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:27 PM
5 Year Member
also, do it while driving in 5th gear under low rpm's like under 3k rpm's. If i'm on the street at 45mph and i shift it to 5th, it'll do it. Also if i'm at 70-80mph on the freeway in 5th gear, it'll do it a lot.

seriously keep us updated im tired of this problem.

Old 09-07-2008, 01:52 PM
5 Year Member
the only thing ive noticed like this is at idle, car sometimes feels like it is going to stall in neutral at a light or stop signs. i figured it just had something to do with the lightened flywheel.

...so subscribed i guess to see what the dealership tells you.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:03 PM
5 Year Member
mine does too, but ever car has a few flaws.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:14 PM
is the feeling you guys are getting similar to the feel of the transmission shifting from 1st to 2nd when you're at a complete stop. This is only applicable to fit sport with paddle. Since they can start out in 2nd gear. I just noticed that if i switch back and forward from 1st and 2nd at a complete stop it studders - although i know its a transmission shift not engine studder.

I'll have to pay attention when i go out next time. I notice my idle is not as smooth as it used to be - but only in gear - out of gear it idles like butter. I'm starting to think something is up with my autobox.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member
To me it feels more like the transmission is jumping in rather than the engine skipping. I think the fact that it does not happen in Neutral or Park confirms this. Making an appointment this week.

John

Old 09-07-2008, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nodrogkam
is the feeling you guys are getting similar to the feel of the transmission shifting from 1st to 2nd when you're at a complete stop. This is only applicable to fit sport with paddle. Since they can start out in 2nd gear. I just noticed that if i switch back and forward from 1st and 2nd at a complete stop it studders - although i know its a transmission shift not engine studder.

I'll have to pay attention when i go out next time. I notice my idle is not as smooth as it used to be - but only in gear - out of gear it idles like butter. I'm starting to think something is up with my autobox.

you can start off in 2nd if you want in a mt...lol ive never tried it in the fit from a dead stop but i have came to a roll in 2nd, pretty much at like 1-2mph and accelerated from 2nd gear, it stutters in the mt as well(impossible to do now that i have a lightened flywheel, i will just stall out). but in our bucket truck at work we dont use 1st gear at all, we put it in 2nd and go from there(early 80s truck, mt). no stutter in that truck...but int he fit, yeah its normal to stutter if you are accelerating from 2nd after a dead stop.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:42 PM
i understand you can start out in 2nd. And you can start some cars with more torque in top gear...as was shown on top gear with some corvette i think. I was saying for the AT because of the feeling i get as the transmission shifts from 1-2 and 2-1.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:40 AM
Hmm the only thing that happens to me which is similar is when I'm redlining third before shifting, there seems to be an unnatural decrease in how wide open the throttle is, like a quiver or "stutter" in the throttle, but not the transmission. The same thing happens in 4th before shifting into 5th around 110MPH+, even though the Fit can maintain speed or accelerate at such speed. I think it's caused by some sort of throttle limiter...!?

Old 09-28-2008, 04:26 AM
Stutter

Just wondering if anyone has resolved this problem or if they have any other ideas?

Quick Reply: Constant speed "stutter"