General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

LA times article (more)

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 10:51 AM
LA times article (more)

Photos: 2009 Honda Fit

<LI class=photo_article> Photos: Hot for 2009: 5 cars to...

So when people started panicking about fuel prices this year, there were the brightly lit and cheerful Honda dealerships, arising like Homer's rosy-fingered dawn. I went by my local Honda store a month ago and it looked like it was hosting a cockfight.

The company's hottest product is the Fit, a small, modest, lumpen prole of a car that just happens to be one of the best-engineered vehicles on the planet. It tells us something fundamental about the changing tastes of the American market that Fit sales are up 73% this year, while you couldn't give a Cadillac Escalade away if you filled it with mermaids.

Honda has basically sold out of the 2008 model-year Fits and is rushing the new, redesigned 2009 models to dealerships now, a month earlier than planned. Honda projects that Fit sales in the U.S. will be around 85,000 units this year. I shudder to think how hard management is caning those poor devils at the plant in Suzuka, Japan, where U.S.-bound Fits are made.

The brief: The Fit is a subcompact hatchback, in the same aquarium with minnows such as the Nissan Versa, Scion xD and Suzuki SX4 Wagon. The base price for the 2009 Honda is $15,220 (including delivery) -- $600 more than the 2008 model. The top-shelf Fit, the Sport model with navigation and stability control, will sell for $18,760. And -- here it is, drum roll please -- the fuel economy is 35 miles per gallon highway, 28 mpg city for the base model, according to the Environmental Protection Agency. The Sport won't do quite as well, with 27/33 mpg, city/highway. That's what bigger wheels and tires (rolling resistance) and spoilers and side sills (aero resistance) will do for you.

After spending a day test-driving a 2009 Fit Sport in and around Malibu and Pacific Palisades, I can report that the new Fit is slightly larger, vastly stiffer, noticeably more quiet and comfortable, and every bit as dorky-looking as the previous edition. Honestly, this thing couldn't get a date for the prom with duct tape and a burlap sack. But that's part of its counterintuitive charm.

I will say one thing for the looks. In the engineers' desire to give the Fit "Man-Maximum" ergonomics -- their phrase -- they have expanded the forward cabin area and raked the front window like the futuristic Honda Clarity fuel-cell car. It's cool. Also, by raising the headliner height, slimming the A pillars and enlarging the quarter windows, the designers have increased the outward visibility by 10%.

What's that all mean? The vibe from the cockpit is open, unoppressed and glassine, a luxury of dimension in what is really a very small car.

When the Fit appeared in the U.S. in 2006 (it was already selling well in Japan), Honda rhapsodized about the car's "Magic Seat," which sounds like an endowed chair at Hogwarts but is actually the clever, multi-position rear seat mechanisms. These have evolved somewhat. Now, thanks to new flip-down headrests, the rear seat backs can be folded flat with just a turn of a latch, even if the front seats are pushed all the way back (i.e., you don't have to remove the rear headrests).

The 2009 car's additional millimeters of wheelbase translate directly to rear knee and leg room. I'm 6-foot-1, and I had no trouble moving from the driver's seat to occupy the left rear seat, what's called "sitting behind myself."

The Fit's rear seat bottom still flips up vertically against the rear seat back to allow stowage of tall items, such as plants and bikes, up to 50 inches in height. Even with the rear seats upright, the Fit's rear cargo space still measures a huge 20.6 cubic feet.

As for driving, the Fit has the metabolism and genetic code of all Hondas: well made, well tuned, well sorted, invested with the lifeblood of a thousand nameless Japanese engineers suffering from acute insomnia. Nothing is casually decided in a Honda, nothing is temporized. Some number-haunted wretch has agonized over every yen and millimeter of these cars. I love that.

The little four-cylinder pepper grinder under the hood (a 1.5-liter dual-stage VTEC) is keen and eager and completely floggable.

Peak horsepower comes at mezzo-soprano range (6,600 rpm), and peak torque (106 pound-feet) arrives at 4,800 rpm. Fits come with either a five-speed manual or a five-speed automatic transmission with paddle-shifters behind the steering wheel. The steering is quick, the brakes are powerful.

I know, I know. What about a Fit hybrid, you ask. Well, Honda is about to go on a hybrid tear, with a new Toyota Prius fighter and a new sporty hybrid coupe based on the CR-Z coming in the next 18 months. And early in the next decade, a gas-electric Fit. Eco-hearts go pitty-pat.

You may have guessed: The Fit is pretty near the top of my favorite-cars list, and not because it's so fast and awesome-looking, because it oh-so ain't. It has the beauty of a certain well-wrought urn, exactly what it needs to be -- self-defined, lightly perfect. One of these days I'll buy one, if I can ever get near the dealership.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:00 AM
Nice article very impressive...provided the complete details of the goods

Old 02-02-2013, 05:38 AM
thats really a hot photo i am going to share it on facebook now on my profile.....

Old 12-23-2013, 06:41 AM
really a hot stuff and one shud not miss it as futre of the wheel lies here .. as far as the content is concerned it is good as well

Old 02-07-2014, 05:16 AM
informative read i am catching up with .. appreciate sharing it with us here

Old 05-08-2014, 05:04 PM
5 Year Member
An article on the 2015 from the April 25, 2014 LA Times
First Drive: Redesigned 2015 Honda Fit is less fun to drive

<aside class="trb_embed " style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; width: 711px; overflow: hidden; display: block; position: relative; -webkit-transform: none;" data-state=" " data-role="socialshare_item imgsize_ratiosizecontainer " data-content-subtype="photo" data-content-type="image" data-content-size="leadart" data-content-id="80013838"><figure class="trb_embed_imageContainer_figure" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 0px 399.93px; width: 711px; height: 0px; overflow: hidden; clear: left; float: none; display: block; position: relative; background-color: rgb(0, 0, 0);" data-role="imgsize_item" imgratio="16x9" imgwidth="750" imgheight="400"></figure>David Undercoffler / Los Angeles Times

</aside>

DAVID UNDERCOFFLER

The Honda Fit was easily the best subcompact on the market — great fun to drive and a deft mix of efficiency, interior space and value.
Then Honda discovered that fun doesn't sell.
The newly redesigned 2015 Fit is still spacious, frugal and smartly engineered. But Honda — tired of seeing Fit sales lag behind those of the Chevy Sonic, Ford Fiesta and Hyundai Accent — has sucked out all the joy from the car's handling.
Honda's third generation of this four-door hatchback, marked as a 2015 model, started showing up in dealerships this month. Honda General Manager Jeff Conrad said in March that the changes were in response to driver feedback.
"We knew the outgoing generation was really sporty," Conrad said. "But there was an element of people that said, 'Well, we don't want something that rides too rough.'"
As a result, the new Fit has lost the crisp handling and connection to the road that made its earlier iterations stand out from the conservative class of subcompacts.

In its place is vague steering that gives the impression that the car is less eager to drive than you are. No longer sporty, the Fit's handling now falls in line with everything else in the segment.
Also gone is the earlier generation's old-school automatic transmission. Honda dropped an all-new continuously variable transmission into this Fit in the name of efficiency. It succeeds: The loaded EX-L model we tested was rated at 32 miles per gallon in the city, 38 mpg on the highway, up 10% over last year's model.

But this CVT let the engine drone on when a conventional automatic transmission would have shifted already — surprising, since this gearbox is nearly identical to the one that Honda uses in the Civic and Accord, which have some of the best-programmed CVTs on the market.
The new Fit is a better value than before, pushing the base LX model's price up just $100 to $16,315. Standard equipment on all models now includes a backup camera, 5-inch screen and stereo system with Bluetooth/USB connectivity. The EX-L model sells for $21,590 and includes a touch-screen navigation system, moon roof, leather upholstery and heated front seats.
But this is still a budget car. Despite Honda's claims that the new Fit is the quietest vehicle in the segment, the car didn't feel any quieter or more refined than its predecessor. And a Fit with Honda's glorious new six-speed manual transmission — which is as good as Honda's excellent manuals have ever been — might reduce the CVT complaints.
The rest of the Fit's features should also make this car worthy of subcompact fans' attention.
The new model is smaller outside but larger inside. The car is 1.6 inches shorter, for better maneuvering and parking. But interior space is the best in its class, according to Honda, with passenger volume up 4.9 cubic feet and rear legroom increasing 4.8 inches.
The space is also versatile. The rear seat backs fold flat for more cargo room, while the rear seat cushions flip up to accommodate upright items on the floor. The front passenger seat also leans all the way back to make room for extra-long storage.
Five tall people can fit in this car comfortably, without knocking heads, shoulders, elbows or knees.
The 2015 version is also more efficient. The engine remains a 1.5-liter four-cylinder, but uses technologies like direct-injection to squeeze more power from less fuel. Horsepower jumps to 130 from 117, while torque clocks in at 114 pound-feet, up from 106.
This Fit is assembled at Honda's new plant in Celaya, Mexico — earlier versions were built in Japan — which helps keep costs in check and also gives Honda a larger supply of cars for North America.
Limited supply from Japan may have been a factor in low sales for previous Fits. "We were always struggling to get our share of what we needed," Conrad said in March.
Or it could have been that off-putting sportiness.
"You walk a tightrope," Conrad said. "And we're looking to expand sales."
david.undercoffler@latimes.com

Old 08-07-2021, 07:12 AM
Amazing!!!