Gauge Interest in a Fit Product or Group Buy Use this sub-forum to gauge market interest in your Product or Group Buy.
If you decide to sell a Product or proceed with your Group Buy, create your listing in our Non-Fit Vendor Group Buys and Product Sales area.
If you decide to become a forum sponsor with "FIT Vendor" title, please Contact Us for details.

Rogue GE8 Cowl Scoop Interest / Developement (New Product)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 02:46 PM
looking good. subscribing for interest!

Old 08-18-2010, 03:22 PM
5 Year Member
sweet piece, I am still concerned with the water issue tho. Anyone current GD owners that have this piece care to chime in?

Old 08-18-2010, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member
Looking good from a functional standpoint, but if you want a visual critique, here's my .02 on the matter. I know there are a lot of constraints and considerations, but the angle in the design of the top of the scoop doesn't match up with the lines of the car very well. If it paralleled the line on the top of the windshield it would probably look best. That may or may not be achievable, and wouldn't be a deal breaker for most folks, I don't think. The GD one just seemed to look better on the car from what I recall seeing. We need this scoop though, in any way shape or form.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:08 PM
Name:  f150dc46.jpg
Views: 1493
Size:  72.5 KB

Two cosmetic concerns I have.

Red circle: This area needs some cosmetic revision...the left and right corners should look the same for symmetry.

Blue line: The scoop looks is pointed in an odd direction...kinda over the left fender. If the front edge of the scoop was revised like the blue line it would make the scoop, at least appear, that it is facing forward rather than off angle.

Just my 2 cents...

Old 08-18-2010, 07:37 PM
Merchant / Group Buy Organizer ( non-certified )
Thanks for the input, that's what is needed at this point. Keep in mind that I don't have a Fit to work off so I'm just using photos and guessing. What I can really use now is to know what everyone think of the overall size. The opening may not need to be as large as it is on this proto, and also I extended the one side about 1.5 inches toward the center of the car. This also needs tweaked but do you like that or would it be best to just do without that section?
After seeing the pics I already have some ideas for the aesthetics but want to nail down some of the basics first.

Thanks again and don't worry about being critical, this is just a concept part.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:45 PM
5 Year Member
looks like it would work but I would be concerned about the scoop messing with the overall aerodynamics of the car. We need to find a FF member with some wind tunnel access

Old 08-18-2010, 08:22 PM
Forgot to mention that I've sold over 150 of the GD scoops and haven't heard or read of any problems with water.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rogue Fit
Forgot to mention that I've sold over 150 of the GD scoops and haven't heard or read of any problems with water.
well thats reassuring!

Old 08-18-2010, 10:43 PM
Please read entire post...made several edits.

All of your other designs have been amazing so I have no doubt you will continue to refine this. Couple suggestions:
Originally Posted by Rogue

There is alot of excess scoop side-to-side as evidenced by the pic above. Cosmetically, it looks way too thin front-to-back. I think if you make the scoop a little smaller left-to-right (i.e. passenger-to-driver) it will allow you to increase the depth of the scoop front-to-back.

Name:  6255dcf6.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  62.6 KB

I think the height may be fine once the left-to-right and front-to-back dimensions are worked out....but would like to see it taper down towards the windshield wipers.

Last edited by blackndecker; 08-18-2010 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:16 AM
Koi
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rogue Fit
My take on it is that most aftermarket GE8 intakes seem to get their fresh air from that space in the rear... which puts the intake filter pretty close to the scoop? Even in the pictures on this page you can see the filter on that intake is almost directly beneath the scoop opening. On the GD3 aftermarket intakes are way far away from the scoop so there's no possibility of water getting from the scoop to the filter... I can see some intakes sucking in water during heavy downpours with the GE8 though unless I'm mistaken about the location of the intakes.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:35 AM
DSC
Looking good. In for interest. I wish someone could drive down and help Rogue out.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:26 AM
5 Year Member
Looks pretty damn good. BBro I wouldn't worry too much about the PRM since the filter element is not open to the elements really. If I got this, I would look at trying to fab up something (very tight) to really direct air at the intake. Right now, this looks like it is more design/form than function, but I'm loving the look. Only reason I say this is because of how the Gruppe M I had on my old 5R Teggy, the scoop was a functional part of the intake. The intake box mated directly up to the scoop.

(not my 5R, mine was the only real color for a R, NH0)

I only wonder now if the cowl pieces are also different on the stubby and elongated Fits.

Last edited by 555sexydrive; 08-19-2010 at 07:36 AM.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:38 PM
I really like the extra 'width' with the extension towards the passenger side. I think if it was made too narrow it would look 'wimpy'... My opinion of course but the overall width right now looks about perfect.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:54 PM
5 Year Member
on the height issue, I think if the scoop were designed where it tapered from front to back. to make it less boxy, more sleek and if you made the front in just a bit lower i think it would look excellent! also, I agree with blackndecker about how the scoop seems to be facing more towards the fender than the front. I would say overall it is looking good tho!

Old 08-20-2010, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
not too sure what u guys mean by the scoop facing the filter. i believe because it conforms to the cowl it curves but the extra part coming towards the center add to the whole forward facing aspect to the scoop. obviously, its the location of that piece that makes the scoop in an awkward position but we can't help cuz that's pretty much the only piece that removable. i really like using it, its just the rain that concerns me. when it rains hard, i pop it off and put in the stock cover. i gotta double check on that, maybe route the intake somewhere safer. :P

Old 08-20-2010, 08:18 PM
5 Year Member
so how does this design prevent water from coming in? jus curious?

Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
Looks pretty damn good. BBro I wouldn't worry too much about the PRM since the filter element is not open to the elements really. If I got this, I would look at trying to fab up something (very tight) to really direct air at the intake. Right now, this looks like it is more design/form than function, but I'm loving the look. Only reason I say this is because of how the Gruppe M I had on my old 5R Teggy, the scoop was a functional part of the intake. The intake box mated directly up to the scoop.

(not my 5R, mine was the only real color for a R, NH0)

I only wonder now if the cowl pieces are also different on the stubby and elongated Fits.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by kpwrz3
I really like the extra 'width' with the extension towards the passenger side. I think if it was made too narrow it would look 'wimpy'... My opinion of course but the overall width right now looks about perfect.
I am hoping this will be as nondescript (read: unnoticeable) as possible. Whether or not it looks "wimpy" is irrelevant to me.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:26 PM
i don't care how big or how small it is as long as it blends with the car's lines... making it blend is the key to making a piece "invisible" so to speak

just my 2cents

Old 08-20-2010, 11:43 PM
Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE
i don't care how big or how small it is as long as it blends with the car's lines... making it blend is the key to making a piece "invisible" so to speak

just my 2cents

Old 08-21-2010, 01:52 AM
Just wanted to let everyone know that was able to start revising the prototype this week and should have it finished up next week. After seeing it on the car I have a better idea of how it sits and think this next one will blend in better. As for possible problems with water, I have a couple ideas that I'll work on once I nail down some of the basics.
Thanks for all the help,

Jim

Last edited by Rogue Fit; 08-21-2010 at 01:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Rogue GE8 Cowl Scoop Interest / Developement (New Product)