Fit Modifications: Post Your Experience/Opinion!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 12:13 PM
good thread +rep! >>>>should be stickied<<<

Old 12-03-2007, 12:16 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by JackBurton
good thread +rep! >>>>should be stickied<<<
Stickied

Old 12-03-2007, 12:18 PM
...that was quick!

Old 12-03-2007, 02:36 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Beware Lexani Tires;

This is a Korean Brand often packaged with rims because of the lower price. Aside from the lower quality, they have serious problems with fitment size. My personal experience was with a set of 205/40's that measured larger than 215/40's.

I would reccomened strongly against this brand

Old 12-04-2007, 05:44 PM
Only thing I have with this thread is misinformation. This thread will tell new users or even new to modifing cars the wrong idea about things. The response you have about certain mods are from peoples personal opinions. No one is personally doing long extensive fact sheets to backup their beliefs.

Such as the spoon filter thread. Composimo pointed out a very good point. you cant just pull up to a dyno, do four runs in a couple minutes and expect the last few runs to do anything and then compare them to the first two runs.

I think a thread that posts what people think is fine. But a lot of ppl have differant ideas and thoughts about products. My mugen filter feels better to me. Can I prove it is better yet? No, I plan to goto a dyno here shortly and do several runs to prove how it actually does vs stock along with other bolt ons. Several runs over a period of time will show what it does on avg.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:02 PM
5 Year Member
i would like to add that aftermarket pinstripes do not add whp whatsoever!

i have dyno runs to prove it

Old 12-04-2007, 06:17 PM
A comment about the Progress bar...

We've installed the bar on two different Fits here at the shop. Both bars came in at the same time, as they were ordered together. The first bar went on a stock car with no other mods, it bolted on nicely like it should.

The second bar went on Hocker's car with the Mugen Professional suspension. First off, the second bar's hardware was not only different from the first set, but all six bolts weren't even the same. Once we got the bar in and drove the car, we realised the kit is not compatible with
aftermarket springs, the large bolts used rub on the coils and push them to the side of the spring cups. We had to come up with another hardware kit to use the bar. I guess that's fine for those wanting just the progress bar and nothing else, but in my experience people want to modify more of their suspension as they get used to simple mods like the sway bar.

I'd also like to give a thumbs up to the Mugen gauge kit (oil temp, oil pressure, and water temp). I've installed a lot of different gauges on a lot of cars, and this was by far one of the most painless installs (except for reaching up into the dash to find the damn wire!). The only custom work that needed to be done was drilling the hole in the dash for the signal wire and making a power wire. It was also really nice to have a water temp gauge in the car!

cojaro:
I wouldn't run a camber kit on the Fit personally. The rear suspension (or I should say, the solid axle) is not going to be easy to change the camber on. The front should have a bit of negative camber for sportier handling, which you will get when lowering the car. Strut setups like this need more static camber since they don't increase camber well in cornering (like a double A-arm setup does). More camber will increase grip in the front and minimise the tires' tendency to roll over onto the sidewall. If anything, you'd want a camber kit to INCREASE camber for improved handling.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hocker
Only thing I have with this thread is misinformation. This thread will tell new users or even new to modifing cars the wrong idea about things. The response you have about certain mods are from peoples personal opinions. No one is personally doing long extensive fact sheets to backup their beliefs.

Such as the spoon filter thread. Composimo pointed out a very good point. you cant just pull up to a dyno, do four runs in a couple minutes and expect the last few runs to do anything and then compare them to the first two runs.

I think a thread that posts what people think is fine. But a lot of ppl have differant ideas and thoughts about products. My mugen filter feels better to me. Can I prove it is better yet? No, I plan to goto a dyno here shortly and do several runs to prove how it actually does vs stock along with other bolt ons. Several runs over a period of time will show what it does on avg.
point taken. looking forward to your dyno results. until then, it's still tough to argue against the original results.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:40 PM
5 Year Member
O

why not? my other car pulled hardest on its 3rd dyno pull, with about 1.5 minutes between the pulls. i mean, it was a 15whp difference on the last run. and this was on a very high resolution, load bearing dyno.

btw, i'm asking more in a rhetorical manner. heat soak does matter. if it were a turbo/ intercooled car. the fit doesn't exactly generate a lot of heat and the stock intake is made of materials that do not conduct heat very well. i personally believe wytt's results are a reasonable representation of what one could expect with a spoon filter, and while the methodology could improve in a couple of places, we're really just speculating until someone posts some real data.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member
on another note, do we really have only one performance enhancing mod that actually lives up to the manufacturer's claims? (progress rear bar)

Old 12-04-2007, 07:13 PM
I think that's a question of standards and what people expect to get from each mod they do. It would be nice to have a link or two to a thread justifying the ratings at the top here.

I haven't used them, but I think the Skunk2 springs are probably fine too... yeah they are going to be a little stiff, but that's what happens when you lower a car. The intake and the Spoon filter could also use more data in my opinion... there is only one dyno posted that sort of backs up the Spoon filter arguement (though the methods are questionable). Also the tires being the wrong size... Falken Azenis RT-215 and RT-615 have been known to run wide like that since they came out a few years ago, and nobody ever thought badly of them. They've been one of the top street tires for autocrossers since they've been on the market.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member
i don't know about anyone else, but hte stance of the skunk2 springs is perfect! i LOVE the rake they give the car.

also, i'd like to add to the list of useless mods. any upper strutbar is useless. i mean, you will "feel" what you want to "feel". but come on. money is better spent elsewhere...

Old 12-04-2007, 11:32 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by downest
Also the tires being the wrong size... Falken Azenis RT-215 and RT-615 have been known to run wide like that since they came out a few years ago, and nobody ever thought badly of them. They've been one of the top street tires for autocrossers since they've been on the market.
The main reason I reccomended against the lexani tires is overall poor quality and much higher than normal size tolerance. It is my opinion that If anybody here buys the 205/40/R17 for their fit they are going to have serious rubbing issues regardless of wheel offset. It is my hope that with that knowledge people that have considered this tire on it's own or part of a package may do some more research and hopefully won't have to deal with the same problems I encountered.

I think this thread content is fine; as long as people recognize that most of this is opinions and related to personal experience with the product. If you don't like the opinion you can post up a logical reason why you disagree (without bashing the originator) and take the comments with a grain of salt. What I hope dosn't happen is some back and forth on specific items that two people don't see eye to eye on. Keep the posts focused on expereince and logical reasoning and I don't think there will be a problem.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:53 PM
i have had the skunk2 springs for almost a week now and i have to disagree with the fact that they are overly harsh. that is just an oppinion. one person may not like the fact that they are stiff but others may think that they arent stiff enough. also the rake is nothing more then an aggresive look and the last time i checked you can adjust the headlights so if they end up lower adjust them a little higher and the problem is solved. again that is someone that didnt do there research before ordering them. i did and i like the look, the spring rate and i couldnt be happier with my purchase.

this is a great thread though cause it saved me from buying a volt stab and the grounding wires. it is still going to come down to a personal opinon on all of this though imo.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jdjohnson9
i have had the skunk2 springs for almost a week now and i have to disagree with the fact that they are overly harsh. that is just an oppinion. one person may not like the fact that they are stiff but others may think that they arent stiff enough. also the rake is nothing more then an aggresive look and the last time i checked you can adjust the headlights so if they end up lower adjust them a little higher and the problem is solved. again that is someone that didnt do there research before ordering them. i did and i like the look, the spring rate and i couldnt be happier with my purchase.

this is a great thread though cause it saved me from buying a volt stab and the grounding wires. it is still going to come down to a personal opinon on all of this though imo.
my thoughts exactly. i have absolutely no complaints with the skunk2 springs. i love the look, ride, and handling

Old 12-05-2007, 08:26 AM
I don't want anyone to take anything personally but to make this thread a sticky and a guideline to users as what is worthwhile and what isn't I think is incorrect. I have been apart of the crx community for years and it has a huge following. I also feel the Fit has the same growing love. One thing I like is that there are lots of ppl here who want to improve and enhance their Fits.

With that being said I think it is very important to educate and inform people as well as we can. New users may come here and read and MAYBE, just maybe they buy what some suggest and maybe they don't like it and thing the Fit just sucks. I've seen plenty of people being around cars for years give up on a Model because someone talked them into spending money on parts that they thought were what they wanted.

Granted that is a very very small % but isn't this site here for the better of the Fit? I just think the thread should be an opinion not made more towards fact when fact isn't there. More of peoples personal exp and likes. Which is fine to have something to show what people like, but to say this brand is worthless or this one is better w/o proper information I feel is a bad way to do things. Some people do have information but I think there should be more to it than just 1 thing or one result.

Either way like I have said in many threads already. Tom,John and myself here at Panducky will be doing some testing with our own products for the Fit along with other aftermarket parts and we hope to get enough tests to get a very good avg of pwr gains and losses to show how products actually do. We all want the advancement of the Fit and want to know what we are really spending our money on.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:05 AM
Retired Moderator
I don't want anyone to take anything personally but to make this thread a sticky and a guideline to users as what is worthwhile and what isn't I think is incorrect. I have been apart of the crx community for years and it has a huge following. I also feel the Fit has the same growing love. One thing I like is that there are lots of ppl here who want to improve and enhance their Fits.

With that being said I think it is very important to educate and inform people as well as we can. New users may come here and read and MAYBE, just maybe they buy what some suggest and maybe they don't like it and thing the Fit just sucks. I've seen plenty of people being around cars for years give up on a Model because someone talked them into spending money on parts that they thought were what they wanted.

Granted that is a very very small % but isn't this site here for the better of the Fit? I just think the thread should be an opinion not made more towards fact when fact isn't there. More of peoples personal exp and likes. Which is fine to have something to show what people like, but to say this brand is worthless or this one is better w/o proper information I feel is a bad way to do things. Some people do have information but I think there should be more to it than just 1 thing or one result.

Either way like I have said in many threads already. Tom,John and myself here at Panducky will be doing some testing with our own products for the Fit along with other aftermarket parts and we hope to get enough tests to get a very good avg of pwr gains and losses to show how products actually do. We all want the advancement of the Fit and want to know what we are really spending our money on.
Great point and I couldn't agree more. It's exactly how I felt at the beginning of the thread.

If everyone can stay civilized and post their opinions, then I think it can be valuable for people who just want some basic information. What I think everyone needs to keep in mind with this thread is that you should be posting how you feel it affects the car.

For example, I've seen a lot of posts about different lowering springs, some being stiff while others giving uneven drops. Information like that is valuable for someone who is looking for a certain stiffness etc. But let's not get into arguments about who likes what and why they hate this etc.

Hocker is right, this site is for the good of the Fit, not detrimental to a car we all own and enjoy. Your point about getting people to not buy something or buy something because that's what they think they want is exactly what I was getting at when I first posted here. It seems as if we are bullying others to do what we feel is best. And honestly, it doesn't matter what we did, it only matters what the owner decides to do. The thing is that they need to take the information provided in this thread with great care and keep in mind that it is simply everyones individual opinions. Reputation will play a big role here and accountability to what each individual says will be considered, so please don't post something because you are pissed off at the company or something stupid like that. It won't go over well, I can assure you that.

I'm OK with stickying this thread, but I think Hocker is right and I will edit the title to reflect that it is strictly based on personal opinions.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:01 PM
5 Year Member
Tom,John and myself here at Panducky will be doing some testing with our own products for the Fit along with other aftermarket parts and we hope to get enough tests to get a very good avg of pwr gains and losses to show how products actually do. We all want the advancement of the Fit and want to know what we are really spending our money on.
i'm personally glad that a vendor takes quality development to heart. the whole point of this thread is to keep people from the pain of bad parts, to give folks a quick reference document from which to start a conversation/ investigation of a part, and to put vendors on notice, should they deserve it, and to reward vendors that make good products, should they deserve it. organized action can really advance a community, rather than having every single individual have to go through the same modification path, run into the same disappointments, and the community as a whole never goes beyond anything than the most basic of mods.

but rather than pontificate, let's post up some parts!

Old 12-05-2007, 03:12 PM
... Weathertech visors? Although not a perf mod, I noticed some people complaining about the quality of these and some other knock off visors, which led me to purchase the Mugen ones.... just throwing it out there.,

Old 12-08-2007, 04:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JackBurton
... Weathertech visors? Although not a perf mod, I noticed some people complaining about the quality of these and some other knock off visors, which led me to purchase the Mugen ones.... just throwing it out there.,
yeah. that's the reason i got the honda access ones

Quick Reply: Fit Modifications: Post Your Experience/Opinion!