Fit Modifications: Post Your Experience/Opinion!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 04:03 AM
5 Year Member
Red face

Maybe we need a thread about the thread...

I like to hear what people have tried and why they did or did not like it. I have contributed and started a few threads on some of the more suspect mods. I found these posts interesting but I can imagine how irritating it is to the vendors to hear this anecdotal evideence presented as fact. I found myself feeling guilty posting negatively about those magnet fuel saver devices sold by a top-notch vendor here at FitFreak (I've got about $1k worth of stuff on my shopping list for that vendor and I am saving up). I don't want to negatively impact the vendors (I am a small business owner too! ) but the peeps needs a place to vent! Is there a better/more appropriate place to post negative experiences?

Sorry to continue to jack the thread off topic...

Old 12-10-2007, 08:34 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cheffyjay

I like to hear what people have tried and why they did or did not like it. I have contributed and started a few threads on some of the more suspect mods. I found these posts interesting but I can imagine how irritating it is to the vendors to hear this anecdotal evideence presented as fact. I found myself feeling guilty posting negatively about those magnet fuel saver devices sold by a top-notch vendor here at FitFreak (I've got about $1k worth of stuff on my shopping list for that vendor and I am saving up). I don't want to negatively impact the vendors (I am a small business owner too! ) but the peeps needs a place to vent! Is there a better/more appropriate place to post negative experiences?

I am surprised those magnet fuel saver devices are making a comeback again. I got flamed for even asking about it in one of my first posts ever on Fitfreak. I had spotted this device (Top Fuel/Zero 1000 Power Neo) and figured because certain brand names where starting to pick it up maybe there was something new about them I didn't know about. But to this day, no tests, no reviews and no proof they work.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:30 PM
5 Year Member

no, you bring up a good point. it's unfortunate that people's submissions were so quickly written off with a few dismissive comments. from vendors, at that.

and i am not here to bash vendors whatsoever, i am just a disinterested third party when it comes to posting up this topic. i am, though, a highly interested party in advancing the fit community, seeing that i own one now, and would like to not waste money.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:20 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
I am surprised those magnet fuel saver devices are making a comeback again. I got flamed for even asking about it in one of my first posts ever on Fitfreak. I had spotted this device (Top Fuel/Zero 1000 Power Neo) and figured because certain brand names where starting to pick it up maybe there was something new about them I didn't know about. But to this day, no tests, no reviews and no proof they work.

They have been tested extensively by US governmental agencies and even MYTHBUSTERS if you don't believe the government, and they do NOTHING they are a money wasting piece of crap sold to naive people that know nothing about cars.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:52 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by claymore
They have been tested extensively by US governmental agencies and even MYTHBUSTERS if you don't believe the government, and they do NOTHING they are a money wasting piece of crap sold to naive people that know nothing about cars.
lol, I was trying to use clever wording.... although no proof they work.... there is lots of proof they don't

Old 12-11-2007, 02:54 AM
5 Year Member
I want to steer back to:

Can this thread be an OK place for negative feedback based on product experience--even when the posting person has no expertise?

Old 12-11-2007, 05:22 AM
Well I would like to keep this thread going because it's a good place to consolidate the vast information/ opinions out there.

Here are the parts I'm going to focus on:

1) Progress Rear Sway Bar:

- No need to comment further, it's proven worthy. The bar helps the car rotate much better through corner.

- As you can see, the rear is very stable during hard cornering. You lose a bit of traction in the rear and the rear will swing out, but a bit of throttle control and left-foot braking will keep the rear in check.

- Another note is that the stock tires sucks, the sidewall is too soft and you lose all traction after 3-4 sessions of 20-min track time. Notice the front driver side tire, it's about to come off the rim.

2) DC Sports Shorty Header, K&N drop-in filter, Megan Racing mid-pipe:

- I put all three together because I installed them within one week of each other and I don't have enough data to comment on each individually.

- These three parts netted me a healthy ~12 HP to the hub.

- I did not have a baseline run on the Fit when it was stock, but it's an 5AT w/ paddles. Since the 5MT Fits averaged about 82 HP, I expect my AT to be 79-80 hp stock, if not worse. The green coded numbers are the peak numbers, the yellow is the dip numbers (first dyno pull, baseline run). Peak Hp is 91.9, peak Tq is 83.3

- The A/C was on during the first run because I wanted real-life driving condition numbers.

- I kept the stock muffler so I don't attract attention from cops, but I could gain a little bit more with a more free-flowing muffler.

3) Vertex Racing C-Pillar:

- I installed this part before the Progress Tech sway bar and I truly believe that the bar works. The key is to really tighten the bar and "pre-load" it by tightly adjust the middle bar so that it "pulls" the frame together like |-><-|

4) Tanabe Front Lower Tie Bar:

- This is the second suspension mod I put on the Fit after the C-Pillar and it delivers much tighter turn-in and steering response. I can change lanes at high speed with very minimal steering input. Low-speed evasive maneuvers are really easy to perform due to the sharp steering response.

5) Nagisa Fender Braces: Or T1R's Fender Braces

- The braces greatly increases the rigidity (its only purpose) of the front of the car, I feel a lot more road feedback. The ride is harsher on rough terrain or damaged freeway sections than stock, but the stability in corners is excellent. It gives you a lot of confidence to push the car harder in corner without giving up.

- The fender brace installation is time-consuming but it's straight forward. The only thing is that your fender liner will hit the diagonal part of the brace and won't sit flush with the wheel well; no problem arrived from that though, even with a CAI, water still can't get to the filter.

- Also, wrap the four small tabs (that sticks out so you can hold it while tightening the bolts) with double sided tape before installation so that they don't tap against the frame of the car when you accelerate. The ticking sound is very loud and annoying.

- Another thing about the installation of the braces, make sure you hold the doors up (you have to remove the door hinges to install) and don't let go before you really tightened the bolts or your door will not close properly. A friend is recommended when installing the braces.

- The T1R/J's braces are flat and the Nagisa's are rectangular hollow-tube design. Both serve the same purpose.

I'll revisit this post and add more reviews of the mods I'm putting in the car.

These are just my personal observations, i'm by no mean an expert. Do your research on the parts you want to buy before shelling out the dough.

Last edited by Sleep_DEPRIVED; 12-11-2007 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:11 AM
5 Year Member
I want to steer back to:

Can this thread be an OK place for negative feedback based on product experience--even when the posting person has no expertise?
absolutely.

that's what i have done, having posted about the grounding kits and the spoon intake filter. i just ask that people remain fair and open to discussion and weigh opinions according to the person's experience or lack thereof.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:22 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by YazzFlute
anything performance wise other than forced induction is WORTHLESS, i only wanted my fujita so i could run a stack but it didnt fit now its just on there and making unessecary noises
Hahah sorry Yazz, I shouldve posted something earlier. For those of you who don't know, Fujita is an American based company... it is NOT Japanse.... Bummer huh... you think Japanese name, Japanese company... well they fooled us all...

anyways as for intakes, I would highly suggest AEM, or Injen CAI... and for those of you who are worried about hydrolock, it is not a big deal... you have to be driving in bumper high water... if it gets splashed its no big deal... and if you're really worried, remove it during the rainy season! CAI is the way to go (for mt's), but short rams are nice as well... the final decision is up to you, this is just a bit of info... hope it helps!

Old 05-02-2008, 10:45 PM
I have an 03 Accord V6 6-Speed Coupe with some mods. On THAT car I installed an APEXI Grounding Kit. It also has a capacitor and some filters to clean and stabilize the voltage signal. The drive by wire throttle system reacts much faster (no delay or lag from rapid throttle position changes). I can tell a difference on THAT car.
Honda autos are pretty well grounded stock. Some cars (non honda) have actually shown power gains.
However on the Fit it may totally be a waste of money and time.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member
Skunk2 Lower Springs - good feel of the road, not too stiff, took about a month or so for the springs to totally settle i don't really like how the rear is a bit higher than the front but apparently its with all springs for the fit

T1R c-pillar bar - carbon fiber is sexy...but i somewhat regret getting it because for the j's racing, its cheaper and does the same job...didn't really feel a difference in anything but i'm assuming it does make some difference in the rigity of the car

progress sway bar - with my skunk2 lowering springs, it was harder than expected because of the boot didn't fit perfectly into the holes so i had to really make it fit...felt a great improvement in grip on the road but sometimes have oversteer if i push it too hard

tanabe lower arm brace - felt a little difference in turning and changing lanes...the even with this mod the front end feels a lil' bit loose...not too much a difference but its there

if anyone has the mishimoto intake can anyone give me a review on that because its being shipped for me rite now and i only found a limited number of threads about the intake

Old 05-08-2008, 03:31 AM
5 Year Member
installed my mishimoto intake

Pros: good sound especially around 3500 rpm, u can feel the difference in power...pretty easy install (this is my first time installing any type of intake whatsoever)

Cons: directions are somewhat not clear, and the pictures seem to be for the jdm fit
http://www.mishimoto.com/images/prod...CFI-FIT-07.pdf
if you look at the "original" picture it doesn't match the usdm stock airbox, its sluggish after flooring it but eventually kicks up

Old 06-11-2008, 11:47 AM
5 Year Member
Progress Bar

I recently installed one with stock springs and I agree that it keeps the rear flatter and seems to have no downside in normal driving. The shop instructions said to torque the nylock nuts up to 35 lbs. ft. and I stripped two of them before I realized that this was not right. I had to buy some new bolts and tightened them by feel with a drop of red Locktite and all is well.

On another note, I really like my new H-Fit "Supa Sucka" Intake, good instructions and easy fit and great sound. Feels stronger. Megan axlaback is really sweet also.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:34 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by saiko
Hahah sorry Yazz, I shouldve posted something earlier. For those of you who don't know, Fujita is an American based company... it is NOT Japanse.... Bummer huh... you think Japanese name, Japanese company... well they fooled us all...

anyways as for intakes, I would highly suggest AEM, or Injen CAI... and for those of you who are worried about hydrolock, it is not a big deal... you have to be driving in bumper high water... if it gets splashed its no big deal... and if you're really worried, remove it during the rainy season! CAI is the way to go (for mt's), but short rams are nice as well... the final decision is up to you, this is just a bit of info... hope it helps!
I can't comment on the SRI; however the Fujita CAI is an excellent product IMO.

I have had a very positive expereince, it fits correcty and has an extra mount over the AEM that keeps it more stable. I have found it delivers a very nice power bump in the upper RPM but does not have the responce of a SRI or chamber style intake. The filter is also washable which is nice. It also delivers a nice sound in addition to a great look with the SS finish.

Notes:
-Filter can come dislodged if you disconnect it from the throttle body, be aware of this
-When installing prepare for gushing rad fluid when rerouting the tube!
-Only Fits manual transmissions

Fujita CAI FTW!

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 06-11-2008 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:51 PM
door change

hey guys,if you look at your fit at its door pillars you notice that their black.If you want the car to look different just peel that black vinyl tape off and you will notice the car is the same factory color under the tape.I did it on my white fit sport and now it looks different from others.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:39 PM
5 Year Member
Whoa, let's see some photos! I painted my fog light housings black like a lot of other guys, but this is different...

Old 07-05-2008, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by Sleep_DEPRIVED
Well I would like to keep this thread going because it's a good place to consolidate the vast information/ opinions out there.

Here are the parts I'm going to focus on:

1) Progress Rear Sway Bar:

- No need to comment further, it's proven worthy. The bar helps the car rotate much better through corner.

- As you can see, the rear is very stable during hard cornering. You lose a bit of traction in the rear and the rear will swing out, but a bit of throttle control and left-foot braking will keep the rear in check.

- Another note is that the stock tires sucks, the sidewall is too soft and you lose all traction after 3-4 sessions of 20-min track time. Notice the front driver side tire, it's about to come off the rim.

2) DC Sports Shorty Header, K&N drop-in filter, Megan Racing mid-pipe:

- I put all three together because I installed them within one week of each other and I don't have enough data to comment on each individually.

- These three parts netted me a healthy ~12 HP to the hub.

- I did not have a baseline run on the Fit when it was stock, but it's an 5AT w/ paddles. Since the 5MT Fits averaged about 82 HP, I expect my AT to be 79-80 hp stock, if not worse. The green coded numbers are the peak numbers, the yellow is the dip numbers (first dyno pull, baseline run). Peak Hp is 91.9, peak Tq is 83.3

- The A/C was on during the first run because I wanted real-life driving condition numbers.

- I kept the stock muffler so I don't attract attention from cops, but I could gain a little bit more with a more free-flowing muffler.

3) Vertex Racing C-Pillar:

- I installed this part before the Progress Tech sway bar and I truly believe that the bar works. The key is to really tighten the bar and "pre-load" it by tightly adjust the middle bar so that it "pulls" the frame together like |-><-|

4) Tanabe Front Lower Tie Bar:

- This is the second suspension mod I put on the Fit after the C-Pillar and it delivers much tighter turn-in and steering response. I can change lanes at high speed with very minimal steering input. Low-speed evasive maneuvers are really easy to perform due to the sharp steering response.

5) Nagisa Fender Braces: Or T1R's Fender Braces

- The braces greatly increases the rigidity (its only purpose) of the front of the car, I feel a lot more road feedback. The ride is harsher on rough terrain or damaged freeway sections than stock, but the stability in corners is excellent. It gives you a lot of confidence to push the car harder in corner without giving up.

- The fender brace installation is time-consuming but it's straight forward. The only thing is that your fender liner will hit the diagonal part of the brace and won't sit flush with the wheel well; no problem arrived from that though, even with a CAI, water still can't get to the filter.

- Also, wrap the four small tabs (that sticks out so you can hold it while tightening the bolts) with double sided tape before installation so that they don't tap against the frame of the car when you accelerate. The ticking sound is very loud and annoying.

- Another thing about the installation of the braces, make sure you hold the doors up (you have to remove the door hinges to install) and don't let go before you really tightened the bolts or your door will not close properly. A friend is recommended when installing the braces.

- The T1R/J's braces are flat and the Nagisa's are rectangular hollow-tube design. Both serve the same purpose.

I'll revisit this post and add more reviews of the mods I'm putting in the car.

These are just my personal observations, i'm by no mean an expert. Do your research on the parts you want to buy before shelling out the dough.
What's involved in installing the fender braces?
A install write-up would be great!

Old 07-23-2008, 11:52 AM
5 Year Member
El Chico, resurrected?

Old 09-01-2008, 05:53 PM
spelng > me
5 Year Member
I have only bought 3 mods and I really didnt install any yet, well I did put on my carbon intake chamber by password but the kit required the use of a batter relocation kit, which I got but after getting it and installing the whole thing I wasnt to happy with the size of the battery so I took it off, but as for the performance of the intake I cant say that the car is any faster or slower just that it felt a little more peppy. But honestly it was something I got for looks plus it kinda looks stock sorta, so i figured that when I take the car to the dealer they migh not notice that I have tamperd with the car, but after all these year of being into imports I have come to love the fact of not having to buy a filter again so I got it also so I could clean off and reuse it. But as soon as I find a good place to mount a optima battery in the car so it doesnt get in the way of cargo or the way the seats fold, but I can say optima batteries work really good.

My i am curious as to how people like there engine dampers
I keep hearing about how much the car rattles and shakes with them on but I think thats kinda what happens when you use them but there is a a adjustment on them so i think that you can get rid of that problem buy making it softer but I have never tried one before but its one of those things that I would still prolly get cause I think it looks good but if you have used them before please let me know how it worked out for you

Old 09-03-2008, 07:12 AM
5 Year Member
I think that the reality with intakes is as you say, that they may not produce much seat of the pants improvements, but if you like the sound and look and serviceable filter, they are worth it. I love driving my car every time I have the occasion to start the engine. I play it like a musical instrument, and appreciate every little surge of hopsepower and torque. Optima batteries ARE simply awesome.

Quick Reply: Fit Modifications: Post Your Experience/Opinion!