Fit Modifications: Post Your Experience/Opinion!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member
Fit Modifications: Post Your Experience/Opinion!

i was inspired by this topic: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...ows-worth.html

don't let vendors/ moderators intimidate you! if you have an experience with a part/ mod that did not live up to expectation, and want to help the fit community, post here! reasonable people with well formed opinions will, in the long run, move this community forward.

Ground rules:

1. if you have a tendency to get butt hurt, don't read on.
2. if the disappointing part is something you bought and you have direct experience, PLEASE post.
3. if you're interested in a part, and are requesting feedback, post here.
4. if you've had an experience contrary to someone's stated experience, specify exactly the part and the evidence to the contrary.
5. this thread does not relieve you of the need for due diligence. do the proper research and read the threads out there that discuss the item in detail.

proper R&D and good quality control procedures benefit the community as a whole. we should reward the businesses that release serious products that have been thoughtfully produced. hopefully, this list put the fitfreak and vendor alike on notice as to parts that are worth their price and those that, frankly, are a waste of money.

EDIT: Here a consolidated list of mods that have so far have made the shyt list. format is
item - user name - review/ justification

1. grounding kits - useless
2. KN shortram typhoon intake - manxman - terrible design, most competitors significantly easier to install/ maintain
3. fujita SRI - itfits12 - stock box has better response
6. spoon intake filter - wytt - less power at all operating RPM than stock, but it would be nice to have more dyno data
7. taking out your spare - kennef - why not take out your airbags too? it's not like you're planning on getting into an accident, right?
8. interior LED lights - fits all - low light output
9. Lexani tires - sugarphreak - improper fitment (wider than rated)

Parts FTW! (For The Win!)
1. progress rear sway bar - cojaro - but, according to downest, there appears to be a quality control issue and it also appears one should expect fitment issues if running particular brands of aftermarket springs.

The jury's still out on these parts:
1. skunk2 exhaust - thejroisgo, itfits12
2. Skunk2 springs - itfits12, solbrothers, jdjohnson9

Requesting info on:
1. rear disk brake conversion
2. camber kits
3. dyno data on spoon drop-in filter, or any intake for that matter

Last edited by kennef; 12-10-2007 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:19 PM
5 Year Member
here's another one:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...t=spoon+filter

reader's digest version: Spoon intake filter appears to do nothing/ loses power throughout the entire range of operating RPM.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
Good thread. Hope grows like a weed :P

Here's my contribution: Next to the Progress Rear Sway, the next best suspension mod would be camber kits, especially if you are lowered or plan to lower.

And grounding kits on the Fit don't do much, but are probably a good idea if you live up north and will have to venture out on the snow and salt covered roads (accelerates corrosion).

The only benefit I could see from aftermarket tail lights is being brighter ONLY if it's has LEDs (and it looks good, of course).

Finally, getting a huge aftermarket spoiler so that your FWD car can get more traction is ridiculous. If anything, it'll take traction away from the front while at "high speeds". lol.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:35 PM
Banned
The "K&N Typhoon Short Ram Intake" system is the only one on the market that makes you completely disassemble the whole system just to clean or change out the filter. Even the Chinese-made knock-off SRI's selling for $50.00 on eBAy don't make you do that to clean the filter. For K&N's retail price on their SRI, all of the others work and fit better. There are two LONG threads in fitfreak archives with all the proof and photos you could ask for. Use "K&N" with the "search" tab at the top of the page.........

Old 12-02-2007, 08:37 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
not to crap on your thread, cause i REALLY like it, but everyone has different opinions of what mods to do. For example, an after market oil filler cap. It's TOTALLY useless and EVERYONE will agree, but, I've got one. It matches my engine bay. I know that it doesn't' do anything, but it's a mod. I guess what I'm trying to say is.....

"What engine mods are useless"???

Old 12-02-2007, 08:48 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by Toy Yoda
not to crap on your thread, cause i REALLY like it, but everyone has different opinions of what mods to do. For example, an after market oil filler cap. It's TOTALLY useless and EVERYONE will agree, but, I've got one. It matches my engine bay. I know that it doesn't' do anything, but it's a mod. I guess what I'm trying to say is.....

I agree but a lot of people do have the same or similar opinions, and i can see this thread really helping our fellow FitFreaks save money in the future.

Just know, these are individuals opinions, your opinion may vary.

Keep em coming!

Last edited by TOOL; 12-02-2007 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Toy Yoda

ultimately, we all get to choose what mods we want, even if everybody in the world thinks it's useless, ghey, ricer, or what have you. because if you're footing the bill, you get to do whatever you please.

but my intent is to call everything out. call out your buddy's neon lights or his mugen sock thingy for the brake fluid reservoir or someone's faux carbon fiber fuel filler door that he paid $300 because it is JDM.

the whole point is to provide perspective on what is worthwhile and, if necessary/applicable, ridicule a part out of existence if it's a rip off.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:20 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks!

Just wanted to say thanks for getting this going - hopefully it'll condense the already numerous threads about various items under this one topic.
The voltage stabilizer and grounding kit debates definitely saved me some dough - just goes to show that just because show cars and magazine spread cars and every other car at the local meet has them, doesn't mean they work.
I think though that unfortunately there's a placebo affect going on with modifications that will create biases in this thread, but hopefully things will smooth out throughout discussion.
I see some debate already going on with oil caps, spoilers, etc. Maybe I can polish this already great thread with this suggestion:
Maybe we as a forum can focus more on parts and mods that claim some sort of increased performance. We know the reservoir socks and oil caps are mostly aesthetic, as are rear spoilers and different aero peices for our FWD joy rides, but just like the grounding kit, there are other debatable and questionable mods. An example, albeit poor, is the magical ebay 10 dollar performance chips. Obviously it's a gimmick, but there are lots of other things out there that have yet to show proven performance, so lets talk about those. Intakes, headers, exhausts - as a whole these things have proven performance gains behind them, but what brands? SRI or CAI? This is a great thread to get down to the nitty gritty. Also, maybe even talk about wheels and tires - what brands and type types/treads work best for what uses?
So, not to step on any toes, but maybe leave the engine dress up stuff aside. Unless you find an oil cap that somehow creates more hp!
Just my two cents.

Regardless, this is a great thread. Props!

Old 12-02-2007, 09:34 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
anything performance wise other than forced induction is WORTHLESS, i only wanted my fujita so i could run a stack but it didnt fit now its just on there and making unessecary noises

Old 12-02-2007, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sevenaprils
Just wanted to say thanks for getting this going - hopefully it'll condense the already numerous threads about various items under this one topic.
The voltage stabilizer and grounding kit debates definitely saved me some dough - just goes to show that just because show cars and magazine spread cars and every other car at the local meet has them, doesn't mean they work.
I think though that unfortunately there's a placebo affect going on with modifications that will create biases in this thread, but hopefully things will smooth out throughout discussion.
I see some debate already going on with oil caps, spoilers, etc. Maybe I can polish this already great thread with this suggestion:
Maybe we as a forum can focus more on parts and mods that claim some sort of increased performance. We know the reservoir socks and oil caps are mostly aesthetic, as are rear spoilers and different aero peices for our FWD joy rides, but just like the grounding kit, there are other debatable and questionable mods. An example, albeit poor, is the magical ebay 10 dollar performance chips. Obviously it's a gimmick, but there are lots of other things out there that have yet to show proven performance, so lets talk about those. Intakes, headers, exhausts - as a whole these things have proven performance gains behind them, but what brands? SRI or CAI? This is a great thread to get down to the nitty gritty. Also, maybe even talk about wheels and tires - what brands and type types/treads work best for what uses?
So, not to step on any toes, but maybe leave the engine dress up stuff aside. Unless you find an oil cap that somehow creates more hp!
Just my two cents.

Regardless, this is a great thread. Props!
with reluctance, i can live with that. on one hand, i'm not really really in the business of making fun of people's mods (blue wheels, for example) though i wish people would on occasion. on the other, i pointed those out because there's nothing like peer pressure or the threat of ridicule to stop folks from wasting their money on things that do nothing. because if people in general still choose to buy socks for their brake reservoirs, and the ratio of socks sold to headers sold is 100:1, then i as a vendor have to go where the money is.

if the fit community is all about bs parts, we can't be surprised if only a few shops make the effort to produce quality parts, such as kraftwerks.

i'm really OK with whatever people decided to post, but maybe we could lay low on busting out people's purely cosmetic mods.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...tml#post201312

my opinion here will probably lose me friends quick, but i just think it is a terrible idea to remove your spare unnecessarily. a drag race or autocross, followed by putting it back in for your drive home, then it makes absolute sense. but even at track days, i leave the spare in place as i use track days to improve my ability to drive my real world car exactly as i drive it in the real world.

the whole "remove your spare" thing is at best delusions of grandeur.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:57 PM
June 2007 2nd Place Fit of the Month Winner
my aspec exhaust is a simple aesthetic modification for looks and mild sound.
otherwise i had and removed a front strut bar, probably will get another one later also for aesthetic as well.
the exhaust is nice, i feel no extra power whatsoever and the strut looked nice, but it didn't feel all that different at all.
also i removed my fujita sri, and to tell you the truth i get a better responce from the stock air filter than the sri.
i had skunk2 lowering springs as well as their exhaust, both removed. the springs made the car way too uncomfortable and might of helped in turning, but they forced my headlights to point too low (and I did not feel like messing with the headlights to adjust them) and i started to think that if the look of the car lowered was the only reason I kept them, than I had more of a reason to remove them than keep them. living in reno where construction is at large a good smooth road isn't always available so it wasn't meant to be. the exhaust was really loud and actually made the car feel really sluggish at high rpms, again I had more reasons to remove than to keep.

im not trying to bag on these mods but as said earlier in the thread these are moddest opinions on some of the products out there that may or may not be worthwhile for the money spent.

Last edited by itfits12; 12-05-2007 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:57 PM
Retired Moderator
I can see this thread getting terribly out of hand. Unfortunately by everyone putting peer pressure on others because you or a group of people think it is stupid is simply bullying the other person to not do something that they want to do. IMO, it doesn't matter what other people think once I've made a decision. If I'm unsure, I do my research. If people don't do their research, then they deserve to waste their money, simple as that.

I think this thread would be great for reference as to what some people have experienced with certain parts. Other than that, I think it can be quite offensive to some people. I want to keep this forum a hospitable place to go to when you want to talk about your Fit and don't want it turning into crappy forums where people just flame other people because they think it is stupid. I fully support your second point and think it is a great idea, but the third point has to go. It is too open ended and you are going to see people going off about windshield banners, large spoilers, neon tubes, graphics, etc.

Let's try to keep this one clean and not let it get out of hand. I highly suggest you post something that you like or dislike IFF you previously or currently own the product and have tested it out. Otherwise, please don't go on bashing parts you deem useless, stupid, ugly, etc.

I'll be watching this thread with great scrutiny and if it starts to get out of hand, you can expect a few warnings and this thread to be closed.

Last edited by Illusive; 12-02-2007 at 10:59 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:17 PM
5 Year Member
this' stupid but just thought i'd share in case anyone bored as me tries to do it...dont change the cargo area bulb with a LED...the only fact is that itll make the rear look maybe a lil bit more "luxurious" but you wont get too much light output of it since the way the bulb is mounted/located needs a fully 360 degree ilumination..i spent $20(its nothin though) on a pair of LED's to put one of em there on the rear, and practically i flushed $20 into the toilet....useless shit

Old 12-02-2007, 11:30 PM
5 Year Member
in regards to the led dome light and trunk light, it really depends on what kind of led dome or trunk light u order. I'm hosting a GB in the GB section for the dome light and trunk light. I have PROOF that my led lights are brighter then stock and i have pictures and personal references (5+ fit owners) that say the same.

I'm with illusive here, i think this thread is going to get out of hand cuz everybody has an opinion for everything.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:35 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by Illusive
I can see this thread getting terribly out of hand. Unfortunately by everyone putting peer pressure on others because you or a group of people think it is stupid is simply bullying the other person to not do something that they want to do. IMO, it doesn't matter what other people think once I've made a decision. If I'm unsure, I do my research. If people don't do their research, then they deserve to waste their money, simple as that.

I think this thread would be great for reference as to what some people have experienced with certain parts. Other than that, I think it can be quite offensive to some people. I want to keep this forum a hospitable place to go to when you want to talk about your Fit and don't want it turning into crappy forums where people just flame other people because they think it is stupid. I fully support your second point and think it is a great idea, but the third point has to go. It is too open ended and you are going to see people going off about windshield banners, large spoilers, neon tubes, graphics, etc.

Let's try to keep this one clean and not let it get out of hand. I highly suggest you post something that you like or dislike IFF you previously or currently own the product and have tested it out. Otherwise, please don't go on bashing parts you deem useless, stupid, ugly, etc.

I'll be watching this thread with great scrutiny and if it starts to get out of hand, you can expect a few warnings and this thread to be closed.
Very well put, i agree 100%.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Illusive

ok, edited. i hope that you will allow people to continue to post and officially record our community's knowledge/ experience. i am not a vendor, nor do i have to pay the bills for this forum, so i hope that people will see this thread the way they might see a disinterested third party.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:34 AM
Originally Posted by kennef
5. skunk2 exhaust - itfits12 - motor feels sluggish at high rpm
I have the skunk2 50mm catback and I definitely felt a difference after I installed it, more torque and it gets up and goes a hell of a lot faster now.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:00 AM
5 Year Member
I'm still debating if a rear disc conversion is worth it. I was planning on it and waiting ti hear from skunk 2 about it. I want it just cause it looks better but I think stock brakes with upgraded pads is more than plenty for this car.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:12 AM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by kennef
ok, edited. i hope that you will allow people to continue to post and officially record our community's knowledge/ experience. i am not a vendor, nor do i have to pay the bills for this forum, so i hope that people will see this thread the way they might see a disinterested third party.
Nope, no problems at all as long as it stays clean I think this forum is a wealth of knowledge and many people have years of experience tuning and modding cars who can provide further insight to what they've experienced and what they've done in the past. I just don't want people to start going off about how stupid something is because they think it is. Keep it simple and only post what you've purchased and had experience with in the past.

I've bought a lot of stupid crap for my first car prior to the Fit and I can tell you there are a lot of stupid products that are cheaply made or are just crappy in general that I got sucked into buying. You live and learn, the more experience you have, the more you realize there are some things that aren't necessary or are generally poor products.

But as a teen, anything cheap and gets attention unfortunately is on the top of the list. Being subtle doesn't hit until you get older and start to experience the ups and downs of the tuning world. It's an experience and I find it takes a little bit of stupid spending to really hammer in the point to anyone who is young and looking to get into this hobby.

BTW, I hope you don't mind, I edited the title to be a little more concise on what to expect from our users in this thread

That's my outtake anyways, from a 21 year old hahahaha

Last edited by Illusive; 12-03-2007 at 11:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Fit Modifications: Post Your Experience/Opinion!