Adding Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 10:04 PM
Adding Cruise Control

SO it's been nearly a year since I purchased my Fit (08 Base MT). Now I bought the Base model because I don't care about the body kit, I don't need the better sound system, and I'll be putting my own wheels on anyway. But the one thing that I do miss is the Cruise Control! Man, that's something I didnt even think of. I drive a lot, I'm sure not as many as others, but not having that CC is starting to kill me.

Can the dealerships install the factory cruise control at any point? I can't think of a reason that they wouldn't be able to. I would only want the factory cruise control. I've seen other aftermarket units that just look and perform very poorly. Has anyone ever done this? Or at least have an idea of the price range?

Old 07-19-2009, 10:07 PM
I doubt they would be willing to if it's even possible... go ask em. cc is one of the main reasons i want a sport

Old 08-07-2009, 04:04 PM
Let us know what you find out. I'm interested in this as well. I'm having the security system and keyless installed, but I didn't want the sport because I do NOT want vehicle stability. But I'd like cruise control to help maximize my gas mileage.

And I love your Tool avatar by the way. Best band ever. My Fit is going to be tool-mobile v2.0

Old 08-17-2009, 12:56 AM
5 Year Member
not sure what the benefits of cruise on a mt would be. guess it depends how hilly the terrain is by you if it would even be useful without needing to downshift.

the dealership can definitely do it but I bet they murder you on the cost... I bet its pretty straight forward to piece a kit together yourself. I'm also a base mt owner so I'm not even sure what the cruise control assembly looks like. find out what the difference is between the sport steering wheel (with the buttons) and the base. but I'd wager to say that just replacing the steering wheel will give that functionality (and maybe adding a fuse). but I bet the button set can be purchased separately and installed in the base steeringwheel, and that at worst you would need the short wire harness for the pass through from the steering wheel to the column. I'd imagine the rest of the electronics already exist throughout the car.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:40 AM
Originally Posted by bensenvill
not sure what the benefits of cruise on a mt would be. guess it depends how hilly the terrain is by you if it would even be useful without needing to downshift.
very good point. with the amount of power available in this car, you'd have to be driving in a pretty flat area for it to be of use.

my passport has cruise. has to be flat or downhill around here to keep it at 75 (speed limit).

Old 08-17-2009, 05:55 PM
Most all of the driving would be in relatively flat areas. So I don't think it would be a problem. That isa good point though, I didn't think of that.

As far as the controls, they are mounted into the steering wheel on the Sport. So either the steering wheel would need to be replaced or the the controls would be mounted elsewhere. I'll take a look when I'm at work tomorrow to find out what kinds of non-Honda options there are, say from Directed Electronics or Metra. You're right though, I'm sure that the dealer would charge well over a grand for it.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:17 PM
5 Year Member
I know this is old but incase anyone was wondering this is the piece you need.
XK601 - Data Cruise Control w/ Programmable Vehicle Firmware

XK601 from Directed electronics.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:11 PM
I was just told by Directed Electronix that the number is:
AF-XK601C is the corrected product number. I can get it locally and the total cost:
$400.00 UDS installed. Another mfg name not importante: $550.00 total cost.
I have the AT base Fit. This would be a real good addition if I had the money!
But, thanx for the information. bigtoepfr

Old 02-07-2010, 10:51 PM
5 Year Member
I had cruise control added to my PT Cruiser years ago. I ordered the kit from Chrysler, which was just a small box of 'stuff'. The dealership admitted to never having done it before, so they only charged about $70 to install it. The kit included the throttle cable (not a drive-by-wire car), some vacuum lines and the control stick for the steering wheel. The dealership had to update the car's firmware to make the function active. The control stick on the steering wheel was just bolted on where it belonged. They just had to knock out a piece of plastic to access the mounting point and give the stick clearance.

I doubt the steering wheel is replaced. It's more likely that the buttons are just installed into the left spoke and the wiring is connected via the clock spring. If the dealership does it, I'm sure it would be warrantied and not likely to be something that they could later decline you warranty coverage on other parts of the car.

I seriously doubt any owner could install and activate the feature, though. The computer would have to know the parts existed.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:53 PM
So no updates on this? I would think the drive-by-wire throttle would help make it easy... in the case of the DBW Matrix/Vibe, you add just add the OEM switch ($35) and you've got CC.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
what updates do you need? We've givin answers everyone needs. For the part and pretty much any alarm shop can install it.

The reason you can't just add factory cruise because the entire wiring harness on a base is different from a sport.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by bigtoepfer
...the entire wiring harness on a base is different from a sport.
THAT's the bit I missed. (I have to say, I find that very surprising from a manufacturing perspective.)

Thanks!

Old 03-06-2010, 04:02 AM
5 Year Member
check this site

Honda Fit 2007 - 2008

Old 03-06-2010, 04:57 AM
5 Year Member
Directed Electronics is an old and reputable company. That looks like a fly by night website to me. I'm not saying its not a good product I'm just saying that I know that the directed piece is going to be good because I have experience with directed

Old 05-16-2010, 09:31 PM
Maybe its like other options and the harness is the same for sport and base? I can't see them designing/installing an entirely different harness for like what, two options? There's probably a little plug hanging down there...they just don't want to do an install like this when they can make you buy a new sport.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member
Well if you like take the time to look up in a Honda part guide the fit ad you will see that it is indeed two totally different harnesses. Or you can go to your local Honda dealer an ask to look at the computer ask for a harness or cruise and you'll see that we are indeed correct.

Also people tend not to like it when you pull up old threads to inflate post count =D

Old 10-13-2013, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member
I own a Fit MT Sport and use CC all the time-works great. I have sciatic pain in my right leg often and it really helps. Just don't use it under slippery conditions. My understanding was the drive by wire CC was completely different from the old style throttle cable type. If you have it installed make sure the tech knows what he's doing-it's not for the faint of heart or backyard mech.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:32 AM
Banned
What are we on a posting in old threads jag or what?