Has anyone cleaned their throttle body?

Old 09-25-2009, 08:24 PM
Has anyone cleaned their throttle body?

Anyone done this to their GD? diy maybe? Thanks!

Old 09-26-2009, 04:21 AM
5 Year Member
no, but are you wanting to do it cuz your car is stalling or something?

Old 09-26-2009, 04:46 AM
5 Year Member
I am wondering why a throttle body would need cleaning unless you are having a blow by problem there is nothing going through it but filtered air.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:40 AM
rpm is fluctuating(revs up) even gas pedal is steady. this started when i put a drop-in air filter. i placed the stock filter back but problem is still there. asked the dealer and they said they will need to clean the throttle body for 5 hours. so i just thought maybe someone diy-ed it already.

Old 09-26-2009, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member
I have never had this problem or read of this having happened to anyone on this forum....It is very strange that the problem didn't exist prior to the filter change.... Yo can see the break down of parts for he throttle body at majestic auto parts..... It looks pretty simple, not many parts so it should be easy...... I can't understand why it it takes five hours to clean unless they soak it.

Old 09-26-2009, 06:19 PM
From the little info we have, it sounds like a vacuum leak to me . . . cleaning the throttle body would do nothing. And like others have said, unless there's something wrong with your PCV valve (or maybe the EGR system), there's almost no way for a throttle to get dirty to begin with.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:10 AM
5 Year Member
yeah check your sensor, leaks, or wiring for the sensor first. But my sister's RSX (Integra) had the same problem and after removing the sensor inside the throttle body and cleaning it with those aerosol sprays for cleaning the intake parts, it works like a champ now hope that helps

Old 09-28-2009, 12:26 AM
5 Year Member
have you looked at it? is it dirty?

Old 10-05-2009, 06:31 AM
Hi guys just to give you an update. I did what accordguyintake's sister did to her integra. I used a carbon cleaner aerosol spray. The problem is gone now! Thanksss!

Old 03-08-2010, 02:50 AM
instead of cleaning ,i also do sandblast bore up

Old 03-08-2010, 10:12 PM
5 Year Member
u can clean it just aslong as u keep in mind that u dont get any fluids in side the sensor part of the tb..also keep in mind do not move the throttle blade by hand because the car is drive by wire and this will throw off the sensor or possinle stripp the gears or break the sensor..if u have any more questions feel free to pm me

Old 03-25-2011, 07:46 PM
I Need To Clean My Throttle Body....

...simply as something to try before plunking down $65 a shot to replace my coils. The 07 Fit AT Sport is stuttering after its warmed up and on the highway between 50-70 mph. I'm very much a novice when it comes to working on my own car. I can change the spark plugs (which I just did), but, I don't even know where to find the throttle body. The spark plug change didn't cure the stutter. Can anyone offer some direction? I read in one of the posts above that there is a diagram somewhere. I'll look that up, but, any guidance would be appreciated. Just trying to avoid the profit-hungry service dept at the local Honda dealer. thanks.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:43 AM
pNz
5 Year Member
Its a pretty well documented problem. Your going to need to replace a coil or 2 to get rid of the stutter. Maybe wait till you get a CEL, at least then youll know which coil(s) that your going to need have changed.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mrocks35
...simply as something to try before plunking down $65 a shot to replace my coils. The 07 Fit AT Sport is stuttering after its warmed up and on the highway between 50-70 mph. I'm very much a novice when it comes to working on my own car. I can change the spark plugs (which I just did), but, I don't even know where to find the throttle body. The spark plug change didn't cure the stutter. Can anyone offer some direction? I read in one of the posts above that there is a diagram somewhere. I'll look that up, but, any guidance would be appreciated. Just trying to avoid the profit-hungry service dept at the local Honda dealer. thanks.
Sounds a lot like bad valve adjustement to me!

Old 06-06-2011, 10:21 PM
5 Year Member
Bumping this one...

I cleaned the 09's TB the other day. After 41k miles there wasn't much in there to clean. A few swipes with an old toothbrush got the tiny amount of gunk out. After that the idle learn procedure was performed. No meaningful change in performance, but I feel better knowing it was done.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:31 AM
5 Year Member
I clean the TB of all my cars every 15K miles or so. Usually they are quite dirty. My 07 Toyota was not cleaned untill it had over 30K miles and it stated to idle rough..cured the problem right away. As someone stated, do not move it by hand if its a "drive by wire"...simply turn the key to on and have someone press on the gas pedal and hold. Simple procedure...use carb spray cleaner and some small clean rags. Make sure that you clean the opening and the butterfly valve on all sides. I've never worried about a sensor and never had a problem...

Last edited by Spacecoast; 06-07-2011 at 08:37 AM.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:41 AM
5 Year Member
i clean my throttle body every 15k. its easy and helps a lot. especially with the motor for the throttle plate. if it gets all carboned up it will wear that motor over time and then u would need a new throttle body. quick preventive maintanence is to clean it every so often. i do it a lot more often that normal but i like car car in tip top shape. new throttle body is around $700 give or take.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lost240soul
u can clean it just aslong as u keep in mind that u dont get any fluids in side the sensor part of the tb..also keep in mind do not move the throttle blade by hand because the car is drive by wire and this will throw off the sensor or possinle stripp the gears or break the sensor..if u have any more questions feel free to pm me

thats just great....i took apart the throtle inteake today, because im having stall problems with the car. i did both things you say not to do. I sprayed the crap out of the sensors inside, and i also i move the throttle blade by hand. had hard time starting the car but i attributed it to the full bottle of throtle intake cleaner i dumped in there. anyways, car started, drove fine, and idles fine. but engine light did come on.

question: if i messed anything up by spaying sensors, or opening the thotle by hand, would the car start, run, and idle right? im thinking the light is becuase of the spraying, and runing car with air temp/flow sensor disconected.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:34 AM
5 Year Member
The intake air sensor being disconnected will turn on the CEL.... Make sure you have the 5 digit code for your sound system and remove the ground cable from the battery for a few minutes and re install it to turn off the CEL... Enter the code to the sound system. and hopefully things will be okay... Why did you feel like you needed to clean the throttle body? I will have mine off to install a manifold and methanol/water injection kit and may need to swab it out also.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:02 PM
5 Year Member
i am having alot of stall problems with my fit. seems like every day when i start driving, after warmup indicator goes off, i drive to end of street and it stalls with out a doubt. i figured maybe the sensors were a bit dirty since it did not use to do this. once before i sprayed throtle body cleaner in there and it seemed to fix it a bit. so i figured it would completely go away if i did a complete clean..........come to find out i probably need a valve adjustment.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Has anyone cleaned their throttle body?