Timing chain: No exceptions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 02:21 AM
Timing chain: No exceptions?

Do all makes models and variants of the Fit\Jazz use timing CHAINS and not BELTS?

I ask because I wish to change a crank pulley on an auto Jazz, and before I even attempt it, wanted to know if im risking my entire engine doing this myself.

Or does it purely run the accessories and I cant break anything easily?

all the info you have is appreciated. Gimme it all! lol

Old 10-23-2009, 09:22 PM
Banned
timing chain is unrelated
its fairly basic to unbolt the pulley and put it back on
the hardest part is having an impact gun to remove the crank pulley in the first place
as long as u route the belt back on properly and torque on the new pulley u should be fine
u can access the crack pulley from the right front wheel well

look up the t1r crank pulley

Old 10-24-2009, 10:35 AM
is the USDM Fit a timing chain for sure? I thought it was but the other thread had me second guessing it.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:57 PM
5 Year Member
the GD is, for sure. here's a link to the part: My Honda Parts Store - Genuine Honda Parts at Wholesale Prices

Old 10-25-2009, 12:15 AM
Even if the engine has a timing belt like a d/b/h series, belt is behind the cover that's hidden behind the crank pulley, exactly where our timing chain is.

Removing the harmonic balancer are we? Honda likes to make a 2-piece crank pulley, and outer and inner section bonded together by a flexible rubber layer. That way it can dampen the crank vibration at the engine's harmonic problem speeds, reducing crank flex/wobble and keeping the main bearings from going through the grinder. This was a big no-no on the d, some engines didn't make it a thousand miles before spinning a main with an alum crank pulley (potentially due to the y-series oil pumps, as some others lasted a lot longer). Simple workaround was the VX pulley, no a/c or p/s grooves and a lot lighter, but still keeps dampening ability.

Unfortunate side issue, rubber gets old and cracks, letting the outer section bend under belt tension and contact the main seal... not pretty. Rare tho.

Does anyone who has removed it know if the Fit's is made the same way? The rubber ring used to be visible on the back (engine) face of the pulley on the older hondas.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:25 PM
i can help :)

keeping in mind this pulley ONLY powers the power steering and the air con, so its not like changing a pulley that would move the timing belt or anyhting (as the fit\jazz has a seperate CHAIN)

I plan to be changing to the Mythelogy pulley.
Mythelogy pulley image by rayfoo on Photobucket

Its Semi-Dampened. I sent them a couple of emails and was satisfied with their explainations. The rubber ring will absord a fair ammount of the vibration, but because the rear is solid, significantly less then the stock one.

the up sides?

1. lighter
2. Less vibration than solid
3. Faster acceleration
4. rubber wont wear out as quickly.

If it wasnt balanced, it could be a LITTLE more risky, however there are a few members here running FULL SOLID pulleys for a long time, and they have NO issues, so semi-dampened should be good.