Fit keeps stalling out!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 01:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by concernedinahonda
Subie, thanks for your quick response. We've just had the Fit back from an overhaul at Honda and things seem much tighter, so perhaps that will do the trick. Funny, they asked about the dome light, too. Unfortunately, in dire situations you don't think to look around for that.
I'll check the things you suggest and will keep your reply as a future checklist.
Thanks again!
Glad to help. Shorts are hard to find. But intermittent power is a good indicator of that. The car being new though, hard to imagine but I suppose they do happen. I'd be interested to know once you have it resolved. Good luck!

Old 09-10-2011, 02:30 PM
Battery Issues

Car purchased certified used in November 2010. Brought car to Honda dealership on 6/24/11 for service due to car dying twice that day. Upon arrival car died and had to be jumped to service. Alternator was replaced as well as the battery that day.
Then in august car died on the road while driving twice and was taken in for services at Honda dealership and immobilizer was stated to be the problem then replaced on 8/24/11.
Arrive at Honda dealership 9/6/11 for tire service and car battery issues stated but technician resolved by adjusting battery connections.
On 9/7/11 Car dies on Bruckner Blvd in the Bronx, NY while coming off the FDR and hazard lights would not come on. NYC DOT workers had to manually put car in neutral so it could be moved to side of road. Car was towed to Bronx Honda and battery replaced again. Dealership stated car issues should be resolved but heard stranger rattling sounds from car while backing out the same day it was picked up.
Filed report on NHTSA website as everyone should about these issue with the FIT so Honda can forced to remedy the issue. I contacted American Honda about the issue but of course they are dragging their feet.

Last edited by yessi10457; 09-10-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:47 PM
5 Year Member
filed mine today. almost got tboned with my 3 month old in the car today. im so sick of chasing this problem down. I changed plugs, coils, battery, and cleaned the intake (complete) 3 times and nothing. will do valve adjustment as suggested. im just so tired of throwing money into this car. i chose honda becuase of the quality, but im about to give up. but what are my options? toyota???? then i get stuck with a car that uncontrolably accelerates. i guess theres always nissan. havent heard of any major issues with them lately. they did have that major issue with cars catching on fire because of the fuel rails in the 80's. maybe i need to go back to riding the bus......

Old 05-10-2012, 03:32 PM
2008 Fit Sport, same stalling problems, only 25K miles. Just started, very intermittent, no clear pattern. May be worse after being driven, cool for 1 hr, then start again. Occasionally dies while driving, so far will bump start. Thanks very much for all the posts, now I don't feel so alone. I knew with all the electronics these have it was never going to live up to my 1994 VX, which has 310K miles, no major service required apart from routine, never quit running or stalled, not even once.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:52 PM
My Fit only had 35k on it when i needed it done

Old 08-02-2012, 07:58 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by Allan Lindh
2008 Fit Sport, same stalling problems, only 25K miles. Just started, very intermittent, no clear pattern. May be worse after being driven, cool for 1 hr, then start again. Occasionally dies while driving, so far will bump start. Thanks very much for all the posts, now I don't feel so alone. I knew with all the electronics these have it was never going to live up to my 1994 VX, which has 310K miles, no major service required apart from routine, never quit running or stalled, not even once.
Finally took to dealer, Ocean Honda in Santa Cruz, they stuck with it till they found it. Old rodent damage to wiring, electricians tape had worn through, producing intermittent short. They had mechanic drive it home until he could reproduce. Full marks to Ocean Honda, and to Honda -- if only they had the brains to use wiring, and fire wall insulation, that rodents didn't love to chew on.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:45 PM
June 2007 3rd Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
If you have semi flickering headlights and dome lights then your alternator may be the culprit. My alternator was going bad which effected my engine performance and rough idle. OBD-II did not catch it. I adjusted my valves too which didn't improve anything.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:34 PM
i should have done research before asking this but i didnt haha, but is there a throttle body relearn procedure for the fit ? becaus if there is then you can clean it all you want but the tps is still going to see it as dirty, your tps will compensate for build up but will never recompensate or deadjust. we get cars in the shop all the time for stalling upon start up and hesitation durring driving, the reset procedure could be as simple as just disconecting your battery for ten mins forcing the pcm to relearn the tps position, just throwing out my two cents.

Originally Posted by gilbie99
filed mine today. almost got tboned with my 3 month old in the car today. im so sick of chasing this problem down. I changed plugs, coils, battery, and cleaned the intake (complete) 3 times and nothing. will do valve adjustment as suggested. im just so tired of throwing money into this car. i chose honda becuase of the quality, but im about to give up. but what are my options? toyota???? then i get stuck with a car that uncontrolably accelerates. i guess theres always nissan. havent heard of any major issues with them lately. they did have that major issue with cars catching on fire because of the fuel rails in the 80's. maybe i need to go back to riding the bus......

Old 12-02-2018, 01:56 PM
What fixes worked for people here ?

We have a 2009 Fit with similar stalling issues.

Old 12-03-2018, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by homebrew
What fixes worked for people here ?

We have a 2009 Fit with similar stalling issues.
I sold my Fit a year ago because I bought a truck. LOVED my '07 Fit, but it was time to give it up. I had this problem and my solution was making sure to get the best coil packs I could and I did my own valve adjustment. There's a tutorial out there, but it's not terribly difficult; just takes time.

1. New Coil Packs
2. Valve Adjustment (DIY)

Old 12-03-2018, 01:04 PM
Thanks,

I just ordered coil packs & spark plugs yesterday

Old 01-24-2019, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by Allan Lindh
Finally took to dealer, Ocean Honda in Santa Cruz, they stuck with it till they found it. Old rodent damage to wiring, electricians tape had worn through, producing intermittent short. They had mechanic drive it home until he could reproduce. Full marks to Ocean Honda, and to Honda -- if only they had the brains to use wiring, and fire wall insulation, that rodents didn't love to chew on.

Okay where was the wiring issue - I think I might has the same issue. also how did they figure it out.

thanks