Ceramic tint question

Old 06-14-2011, 05:00 PM
Ceramic tint question

Hey all,

Just got an '11 fit sport and want to get it tinted. I use cell phone and gps (consumer and pro gps) in the car, so am thinking ceramic is my best choice. I did find a local guy who uses Huber Optic ceramic. He says he does all tint by hand (no computer cut templates) and quoted me $350 for all windows and a strip on the windshield, all in their 30 line. Says it will take a hour and a half. The price is nice, not so sure about hand-cut and 1.5 hrs.

Keep in mind, if I don't go local, I'll need to drive 2 hrs each way to get this done. Sadly, calls I've made to other local shops are met with, "I've never heard of ceramic tint."

What would you do?

Old 06-14-2011, 05:31 PM
5 Year Member
That's a great price for ceramic. I've heard $400-500+

Hand cut is fine. Computer cut is obviously more precise and allows for the job to be completed in less time. Personally, I'd let them take as long as they need to get the job done right.

Make sure the shop has a warranty on the work being done. Make sure the shop is established and won't disappear in a year leaving your warranty worthless.

Take note of the shops you called that haven't heard of ceramic tint. Avoid them at all costs, they obviously do not care to educate themselves in their own trade. By all means feel free to quiz/question the hand-cut shop to see if they know their stuff.

Lastly, to address the cell/gps interference issue often attributed to metallic tint. I personally haven't had any issues but it really wasn't a concern of mine when shopping for tints. If gps/cell is something you absolutely need at all costs and you don't mind splurging the extra $150, go for it.

Get a warranty on the work and get it in writing.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:36 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs down

Ceramic isn't all that in my opinion. I have my fit with formula1 ceramic, and my other car with metallic llumar tint. And I see no difference in signal strength, or call quality. My garmin gps works just as well in both cars.
So try it out, sit in one car with tint, and one with out and see for yourself if ceramic is really worth it!

Old 06-14-2011, 09:03 PM
5 Year Member
I have metalized tint w/ no ill effects. and it was 140.00

Old 06-14-2011, 10:26 PM
local is out

Thanks for the advice guys. I just heard about a bad experience with this installed from someone I trust, so they are out. I'm going to bite the bullet and just drive to Chicago and have Umbra do the install. It won't be a bargain basement price (umbra uses formula1 tints), but will be done right and backed by warranty. With any luck, I'll be able to check out a metallic vs ceramic job at umbra.

Just got the car and already my "daily driver" list is growing large... tint, side molding, center console armrest, lower grille protection, yellow fog light protection, better headlight bulbs, phone mount, bluetooth, all weather mattes, door sill trim, rear bumper applique, locking gas cap, and maybe clearbra. --> This damn forum is evil

Old 06-16-2011, 11:52 PM
I don't have anything related to tinting to add, but get some weathertech all-seasons before winter comes. Those things are awesome.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:26 AM
I've already ordered the front and rear digital fit's from weather tech. I'll likely get the oem cargo tray as well once I make sure I can still use the cargo net with it in place.

I decided against clearbra due to cost for full protection running a grand. But, will be driving to Chicago for tint install this Sunday. The drive is a pain, but at least I can grab some pizzas at a nearby Lou Malnati's.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:37 PM
Update on the tint w/ Umbra? Isn't this the one in Schaumburg? And how much did it cost?

Old 07-06-2011, 05:56 PM
5 Year Member
You know I thought about a locking gas cap, until I got under the car to install my springs and noticed the black plastic runner. For someone to steal your gas they would need a really long siphon. Something like the length of the car almost. Unless I'm wrong someone feel free to correct me

Old 07-06-2011, 11:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fittacular81
You know I thought about a locking gas cap, until I got under the car to install my springs and noticed the black plastic runner. For someone to steal your gas they would need a really long siphon. Something like the length of the car almost. Unless I'm wrong someone feel free to correct me
No, it is very long.

The gas cap is at the back of the car, but the tank is under the front seats. Most cars have the tank under the trunk, or at most the rear seats.

Got an email from Umbra... to tint all 10 windows (windshield is a strip).

$280 for Classic (dyed film)
$380 for Pinnacle (ceramic film)

As you can see... no price for the "Comfort series" (metallic). So... I'm not sure if I want to try to save some money... or just go with ceramic (I tend to do what I feel I WON'T regret).

hum... I'm guess tax is not included.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by neoprag
Update on the tint w/ Umbra? Isn't this the one in Schaumburg? And how much did it cost?
I'm very happy with the Tint from Umbra. It "cured" fine with no bubbles, streaks or rolling. The car is much cooler after being left in the sun and I have been running the a/c fan level on 1 or 2 vs. 3 or 4 before tint.

I had Formula One Pinnacle 35% installed on all windows and a strip on the windshield. The cost was $375 out the door. He also went over the warranty with me and gave me a formula one brochure and card with tint serials.

Goobers, no tax was charged.

As I noted in another thread, when I asked about catching a cab while he did the job, he offered his car for me to use instead. The job took just over 2 hours. Really nice guy, professional results.

Last edited by roguenode; 07-07-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
I wish he had mentioned that he was booked up!

I just spent two hours, driving out there (and back)... only to be told, they can't do it. I'm like... couldn't he have mentioned that in his email?!? Something like, we're quite busy at the moment, might need an appointment!

GAH... I'm on a timetable, and I have to leave by next week... they're booked till the 21st... longer if I wanted to do it on the weekend.

I'm not happy.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:20 PM
Daayummn, that blows. I didn't have any scheduling issues, but my install was on a Sunday and we setup a day and time in advance.

Sorry to hear you wasted your time and gas!

Old 07-07-2011, 03:37 PM
5 Year Member
What sucks is... ultimately, the fault is mine, for not CALLING and asking.

Now, I need to figure out what to do. Buy some cheap suction cup shades for the side and rear windows? Do tinting somewhere else?

Old 07-09-2011, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member
Before I left, he offered to take my number and call to confirm other appointments, giving me a call on any open slots...

I got that open slot (9:30 on a Saturday morning?!?)

And here's the result.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by Goobers
Before I left, he offered to take my number and call to confirm other appointments, giving me a call on any open slots...

I got that open slot (9:30 on a Saturday morning?!?)

And here's the result.

Sweet, good to hear you got in quickly. Happy with the install?

Old 07-09-2011, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
So far, I like it.

From the outside the back looks every bit as dark as I expected. But from the inside, I'm surprised at how light it actually is. I think I'm glad I didn't do the 50% in front.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:35 PM
5 Year Member
I also have the pinnacle formula one tint! I had mine done in 50% all around. I don't like dark tint at all. I wish they had a 40% but they don't/didn't. I'm still happy with it. There are a few spots where you can see little tiny debris but that's ok since the film is so light and it's on the rear window(s) and not on the fronts!

Old 07-13-2011, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
I had 45/5/40/40/5/5. I'm changing it to 80/5/40/5/5/5. So, the windshield would be 80, the front two roll-downs would be 40, and everything else would be 5. All ceramic. All the time.