Car electrical problems after installing aftermarket radio

Old 03-21-2015, 07:44 PM
Car electrical problems after installing aftermarket radio

So i installed the Pioneer X560BT in my GD3 fit today and i think i also screw up my car.

Here are some things i used day to day that i noticed that it doesn't function normally after i install the new radio.
1. Car interior light doesn't turn on at all ( On or open door, doesn't turn on at all)
2. Fuel gauge seem to get stuck on what ever the fuel level is at without returning to empty when car is turn off. ( If i have half a tank of fuel, turning the car off and the fuel gauge will show half a tank instead of returning back to empty like it used to be. )
3. the window motor seem to struggling to roll the right front window up.

Here are something else that's also wrong but i'm not sure if it happen after i install the new radio.
1. I recently bought the BAFX OBD2, plugged in as soon as i got it and i noticed it does turn on. I got time to screw around with it today and it doesn't seem to turn on anymore.

This is the radio cable that i follow.
From the car
RADIO 12V
white/red
+
radio harness

RADIO GROUND
black
-
radio harness

RADIO SWITCH
yellow/red
+
radio harness

RADIO ILLUMINATION
red/black
+
radio harness

POWER ANTENNA
+
radio harness

LEFT FRONT SPEAKER
green/black - lt. green
+,-
radio harness

RIGHT FRONT SPEAKER
green/yellow - gray/red
+,-
radio harness

LEFT REAR SPEAKER
blue/white - blue/black
+,-
radio harness

RIGHT REAR SPEAKER
pink - blue/yellow
+,-
radio harness
From the radio
12V Ignition / Acc. . . . . . . . . . Red
12V Batt / Memory. . . . . . . . . Yellow
Ground. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Black*
Power Antenna. . . . . . . . . . . . Blue
Amp Turn-On . . . . . . . . . . . . . Blue / White
Amp Ground. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Black / White
Illumination . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Orange
Dimmer . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Orange / White
Right Front (+) . . . . . . . . . . . . Gray
Right Front (-). . . . . . . . . . . . . Gray/ Black
Left Front (+) . . . . . . . . . . . . . White
Left Front (-). . . . . . . . . . . . . . White / Black
Right Rear (+) . . . . . . . . . . . . Violet
Right Rear (-) . . . . . . . . . . . . . Violet / Black
Left Rear (+) . . . . . . . . . . . . . Green
Left Rear (-) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Green / Black
Except i connected yellow and red wire together to the only red cable that power on my radio. The antenna cable is not connected to anything right now since i don't have the appropriate adapter.

The radio doesn't dim when the headlight is on, the constant 12v doesn't seem to work ( have to set up the radio after i turn the car off for a few minutes ).

what's going on ? did i blow a fuse ? if so which one is it ?

Last edited by Phamtastic; 03-21-2015 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator
u spliced yellow and red from metra harness to red wire on radio? remove the yellow from the connection. see if that makes the difference.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:18 PM
the yellow and red from the radio are spliced together and connected to the car red cable. I'll try that tomorrow, any more things i should try if the above doesn't work ?

Old 03-22-2015, 10:50 AM
I finally figured out what's wrong after about 2 hours of troubleshooting.
Back up fuse ( #8 ) under the hood is blown because of my pioneer radio. The fuse is 10 amps so i put another 10 amps in there and it is blown as soon as i turn the car on. Put a 20 amps in there and everything seem to be working just fine now. I will probably put a 15 amps one in instead

Old 03-22-2015, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator
putting a higher amp fuse doesn't necessarily means its a fix. it means now there is more current going through that it blows 10 amps easy. the rest of the wiring may not be meant to handle more than that and you'll end up burning up some other component at the end of the line. check your wiring.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:09 AM
where should i start checking for short ? I double checked the radio harness and there is no short there. I was thinking that maybe the radio drawing a tad bit over 10 amps hence the blow fuse. ( getting a 15 amps fuse should stop it from blowing and still give me some failsafe. ) My OBD2 also read P0339 which is bad coilpacks so i'm going to replace them and see if that will fix it.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator
did u remove the yellow wire?

Old 03-22-2015, 11:22 AM
i did, the fuse is blown hence the 12v constant didn't get any power ( my radio need power from the 12v constant and 12v acc )

Old 03-23-2015, 09:23 AM
5 Year Member
I think you still have another problem somewhere. According to the specs on the radio, it is a maximum consumption of 10A. That would only possibly occur if you are really cranking it and even then realistically doesn't happen. If you are blowing the 10A fuse as soon as you turn the car on, it isn't the the radio under normal operation that is doing it. It is strange that a 20A isn't blowing though if it is a short somewhere. Electrical issues can be very hard to trace down, especially in modern cars. Is the power wire for the radio fused near the radio also? If so, what size fuse is it? It is possible the radio is bad. While not common, I've seen it happen. You could hook the stock radio back up and see if the issues continue as a way to confirm it is good.

Did you disconnect the battery before working on it? If not, you could have shorted something or sent a voltage spike somewhere it wasn't supposed to go, in which case, it could be much harder to track down and even have damaged a computer.

Old 03-23-2015, 02:17 PM
I didn't disconnect the wire when i was installing it ( the car was off ). The fuse on the radio itself is 10 Amps. I cut the wire so i couldn't put the stock one on. I'm going to get some fuse tomorrow to test it out.
Is the power wire for the radio fused near the radio also?
Not sure what your question is, but everything is connected to a single connector and plug straight into the radio.

Old 03-24-2015, 03:22 AM
You have to disconnect the battery when you work on any electrics. The battery connection to the radio is live, because that's how the radio and all the other electronic bits in the car keep their memory. That's why the constant 12v is also called memory.

Your symptoms suggest that you have not wired up the battery connection to the radio correctly, because it loses memory and it doesn't dim, and you blew a fuse. Go and buy the appropriate Honda to ISO and ISO to Pioneer harnesses and connect them up to eliminate any wiring issues.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:25 PM
went to the junk yard and found some 10 amps fuses. Put it back in and everything work as normal. Weird.