What do i need for a 160HP GK?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
What do i need for a 160HP GK?

Hey all, i just picked up a 2015 fit 6MT and wonder if this new DOHC L series engine has any potential. Can the ECU be tuned and the engine modified to make another 30 horses? More would be better of course but i want to keep it realistic. I think with some affordable swaybar and wheel/tire packages along with a little bump in power, this could be a fun little hatchback. Coming from a Miata background i have trouble leaving vehicles stock

Thanks for the help

Attached Thumbnails What do i need for a 160HP GK?-zxjnoid.jpg  
Old 12-06-2015, 03:14 AM
There are a few threads floating around here that you may want to check out. One is something like "What did you dyno at?" or "Show us your dyno sheets" and "100whp+ thread" or something like that. Unfortunately I don'y have the links to them, but I'm sure searching for the general terms will yield their results. If you look at what other people did and how much power they gained from their modifications you can make a better decision as to what you want to do.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by matthorkan@gmail.com
Can the ECU be tuned and the engine modified to make another 30 horses? More would be better of course but i want to keep it realistic. I think with some affordable swaybar and wheel/tire packages along with a little bump in power, this could be a fun little hatchback. Coming from a Miata background i have trouble leaving vehicles stock

Nope! Welcome to the board.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:09 PM
5 Year Member
This board is barely active and might not be useful at all. I hope nobody is wasting money on it. (im used to mazda miatas where everything is on the internet and there is a huge community. Do honda people suck?)

Old 12-09-2015, 09:29 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Do honda people suck?)
Yes, that blanket statement is absolutely accurate. Everyone who owns or drives a Honda sucks. You suck. I suck. Everyone on this forum sucks. Period. Good job.

Old 12-09-2015, 10:12 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
I would have to disagree with doctordoom. I personally blow. Sucking is just too much work.

On that note however, to reach 160hp you need to look at running a stand alone ecu, switch to port injection, cams, head porting, full exhaust and intake.
Honda Vehicles at the 2014 SEMA Show - Fit - Honda News

Not many people state side are touching the l15b motor. I had hopes that it would be the new b16a, but as Honda is turning toward turbo motors I think people will treat it like the d16a1 motor.

Old 12-09-2015, 10:16 PM
Try this GK-specific thread: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...cu-tuning.html, or this one: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...u-reflash.html, or this one: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...-you-dyno.html for how much power the GK can make. A stock 2015+ Fit makes 130hp, which is different than 130whp. My 2007 Fit came with 109hp (about 85-87whp). With intake, header, full catless exhaust, and a tune I was able to increase the power almost 30whp to between 108-115whp.

Does the GK have potential? No idea. I don't know what parts are available for it because I have a GD, not a GK, and I don't really pay attention to parts availability for vehicles other than mine. Can the ECU be tuned? Yes. Can the engine be modified to make another 30 horses? Probably. For as long as you've been around on the Miata site(s), you're new here. This place may be kind of dead, but there is also a lot of information here and people willing to help. Sure, it may take a few days because Honda fanboys have other things to do besides live on the website like the Miata guys do. Spend a few days browsing the site and bumping old threads and people will chime in.

Old 12-09-2015, 10:52 PM
5 Year Member
This board is barely active and might not be useful at all. I hope nobody is wasting money on it. (im used to mazda miatas where everything is on the internet and there is a huge community. Do honda people suck?)
Is this you Matthew --->

From looking on the internet boards, it seems you are more into autocrossing, road racing etc. There are guys into that in the racing, suspension and tire/wheel forums to help you get started.

I started on this car for the opposite reason as you did. Not anything on it as far as performance is concerned and I wanted to start from scratch. I'm enjoying it so far and have been learning a lot. I personally have no horsepower goals. I'm just going with the flow. I do have 1/4 mile goals though but that is different.

I'm exploring how to get the most out of the least. Meaning...an economy car that has low horsepower, no torque an automatic transmission and a CVT. The worst of the worst of the worst. Hahahaha! If they say it can't be fast, I want to milk it for what I can and learn as much as I can. Haven't even gotten started and am right in line with stock Si's, Abarths 500, Fiesta STs and Coopers S as far as putting power down point to point. Funny stuff! Have fun....

BTW: What have you done with your miata? Care to share some of your experiences?

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 12-09-2015 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
I love the last line of the video.

Old 12-09-2015, 11:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DWils
I love the last line of the video.
Yeah, I notice that too!

Old 01-25-2016, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member

Shots fired!

But in all seriousness, nope this board really isn't as active as more "enthusiast" oriented boards. Compared to the BMW board I also frequent, for example, it's like one post here for at least every ten there. That's how it is since the car isn't exactly as enthusiast oriented as true sports cars like your miata. You'll also notice there are a lot fewer options for aftermarket parts, sorry to say.

But I'm like you. I just can't keep a car stock. It'll be pretty hard to wring extra power out of the engine I'm sorry to say.

It would make more sense to make the car faster NOT in a straight line. There are sway bars readily available, and adding a rear bar like there was on the last gen sport model goes a decent way towards reducing understeer and keeping the car flat. Ditching the awful stock Firestone tires also goes a long way. Then you have the usual springs/shocks/coilovers you can upgrade.

The car is still relatively new, so more aftermarket parts keep trickling onto the market. Even compared to six months ago, I notice there are a lot more options for parts out now, so maybe a better solution for you will emerge soon. This isn't a hot hatch or a sports car, but I think there are enough parts around to keep you satisfied as far as fun on twisty roads goes.. And honestly coming from a miata, shouldn't you be more interested in that versus straight line speed anyway? Unless you're talking about those ridiculous miatas with the v8s dropped in lol

Old 02-05-2016, 11:28 PM
I sure would love to get a L15B!