FIT 2015 Battery level

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 12:37 AM
FIT 2015 Battery level

Hi all

im pretty new to car stuff so hope you guys can bare with me.

im working on installing a dashcam for my car which has a parking mode feature which will auto record incidents such as someone vandalising the car.

This will mean i will need to hardwire the cam to the always on fuse port . But also i will need to install a battery discharge prevention which will cut off the supply to the cam once the battery voltage reading drops below the set threshold.

i need help from you guys to advice me if at 11.6v, will the car be able to turn on as the cheap battery discharge prevention device thresholds are set at 11.6v. ive read somewhere that usually at 11.6v, car battery's are deemed dead.

attached is the link the the device that im thinking of getting

12V TO 5V CAR DVR Exclusive Power BOX Battery Discharge Prevention DC Power Wire | eBay

thanks guys and sorry for the lengthy post!

Old 02-16-2017, 08:39 AM
5 Year Member
Haikal ,

Since the camera is on all the time it will drain battery. A few hours makes no difference but weeks at a time might discharge battery. The unit you found will work if the camera runs on 5 VDC and uses that small USB connector for power. I have my camera set to turn on when I crank up and turn off when I stop. If your worried about the battery you can always hook up a battery tender directly to battery to keep it topped off. If it is parked in a parking lot or where there is no access to a power plug that option would not work.

Hope that helps

James

Old 02-16-2017, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by James Butler
Haikal ,

Since the camera is on all the time it will drain battery. A few hours makes no difference but weeks at a time might discharge battery. The unit you found will work if the camera runs on 5 VDC and uses that small USB connector for power. I have my camera set to turn on when I crank up and turn off when I stop. If your worried about the battery you can always hook up a battery tender directly to battery to keep it topped off. If it is parked in a parking lot or where there is no access to a power plug that option would not work.

Hope that helps

James

Hi james

thanks for taking time to reply me. but my main question is at 11.6v, will my car still be able to turn on?

Old 02-16-2017, 02:37 PM
5 Year Member
Hey there,

I use a BlackVue DR650 2 Channel dash cam in my GD Fit and really like the piece of mind it offers. It works great with a 128GB microSD card too.

I have been looking into parking mode recording for a while now (mine only records when ignition is turned on currently).

I bought my cam from a place called blackboxmycar.com and had it delivered the next day (free next day shipping for orders over $150 USD in the states)... I ordered from their Canadian site (I'm in Ontario).

When I purchased my camera, they threw in a "power magic pro" for free, which cuts power to the camera when battery voltage drops to 11.8 or 12.0 VDC (user selectable, one or the other.. It can also be programmed to shut down after 12/24/72 hours). I have not yet hooked this up in my Fit as I'm hoping to come up with a better solution than draining my starting battery.

I still need to do some more research before pulling the trigger on one, but check these out:

https://www.blackboxmycar.com/collections/dashcam-battery-pack

I am in no way affiliated with this company, but after purchasing three separate cameras/accessories from them, I can recommend them as a satisfied customer.

I will say that continuously draining a battery, and relying on the alternator to charge it back up will shorten the lifespan of your battery, and likely the alternator too.

I have shoehorned an Optima Yallowtop D51R into my engine bay and don't want to cause any issues with long term reliability, so this is why I am looking into the external battery power pack.. I am also considering getting a deep cycle battery to supply the camera, and using a solenoid to disconnect it from the starting battery when the car is off. Sorry if this rant isn't much help to you.

As for your question:
At 11.6 VDC, you can probably get the engine to start if the ambient temperature is warm... for a little while anyway. Prolonged use like that will degrade your battery to the point of no return.

I personally think that 11.6VDC is too low to continually drain a starting battery down to, which will definitely shorten its life span. If you live in a cold climate, search for another option.

Also something else to note, starting batteries are typically constructed to release high current for short periods of time (example: powering the starter, lol). They're not designed for duty cycle work due to their internal makeup. This is why I have been trying to come up with the best solution for my camera power feed while shying away from using the low voltage battery protector. If I decide on what route is best for me, I will post an update!

Old 02-16-2017, 08:14 PM
5 Year Member
Haikal ,

Great price on battery monitor you showed off of Ebay. $3.00 is cheap. If 11.6 volts is too low just add a 1N5060 diode in series with the red +12 volt line going to the battery saver. The diode makes a .6 volt voltage drop. The unit will now shut off at about 12.2 volts at the battery. Camera will operate normally with car running or stopped until voltage drops to 12.2 volts.

Hope that helps,

James

James

Old 02-17-2017, 12:20 PM
5 Year Member
That is a fantastic idea James! I never even thought about using a diode to drop the sensed voltage, thanks for the great tip

Old 02-18-2017, 09:09 AM
5 Year Member
JackMan,

With the diode trick the camera will shut off .6 volts higher. The diode also needs to handle the current the adapter uses to run the camera. The 1N5060 is good for about 1 amp. If your car is out in the sun you can get one of those battery charger solar panels that mounts on the dash to keep the battery topped off. They are about $20.00. They are on Ebay or Harbor freight. If inside in a garage that would not work though.

James

Old 02-18-2017, 10:20 AM
On my dashcam's parking mode, I can set it to cut off at 11.6v. So far, the car battery cannot provide enough juice to power the dashcam, so it eventually shuts off. I've been able to start the car regardless.

The stock battery is pretty pathetic. A few months ago, the car shut off when I just listened to the radio, and I couldn't start it up. Luckily, I carry a battery booster.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by James Butler
Haikal ,

Great price on battery monitor you showed off of Ebay. $3.00 is cheap. If 11.6 volts is too low just add a 1N5060 diode in series with the red +12 volt line going to the battery saver. The diode makes a .6 volt voltage drop. The unit will now shut off at about 12.2 volts at the battery. Camera will operate normally with car running or stopped until voltage drops to 12.2 volts.

Hope that helps,

James

James

brilliant tip james! only problem is i have no idea how to add this diode that you are referring to .