General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Malfunction Indicator Lamp Came on Last Night...

Old 01-28-2007, 02:22 PM
Unhappy Malfunction Indicator Lamp Came on Last Night...

So last night I was driving and noticed that the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) came on. It stayed on for the remainder of driving last night, and it's still on today.

It says in the manual (pg. 219) that if it was a problem with the fuel cap, the information display would flash "CHECK FUEL CAP," which it's not doing. Plus, I'm usually pretty good about making it click at least 10 times when putting it back on after refueling. Just to be sure, though, I did re-tighten the fuel cap.

Also note that I just took it in to my dealer for a B-1 (maintenance minder) service on Monday, where they replace the oil, inspect the brakes, hoses, fluids, exhaust, rotate the tires, etc.

Manual says that MIL indicates a problem with emissions control and that it can reduce your fuel economy. I have noticed in the past weeks that my average of 28-29mpg has gone down to like 25-26mpg. And yes, I'm one of those Fit owners that have never had good gas mileage... I got her up 32mpg on the highway once. Woohoo.

Anyone have any ideas what might be causing the MIL to come on? I kind of doubt that it could be caused by anything the dealer did, but what do I know. Unfortunately the dealer's service department is closed on Sundays, so I'm going to call them tomorrow. HELP!

Old 01-28-2007, 02:36 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Originally Posted by mattpuchlerz
So last night I was driving and noticed that the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) came on. It stayed on for the remainder of driving last night, and it's still on today.

It says in the manual (pg. 219) that if it was a problem with the fuel cap, the information display would flash "CHECK FUEL CAP," which it's not doing. Plus, I'm usually pretty good about making it click at least 10 times when putting it back on after refueling. Just to be sure, though, I did re-tighten the fuel cap.

Also note that I just took it in to my dealer for a B-1 (maintenance minder) service on Monday, where they replace the oil, inspect the brakes, hoses, fluids, exhaust, rotate the tires, etc.

Manual says that MIL indicates a problem with emissions control and that it can reduce your fuel economy. I have noticed in the past weeks that my average of 28-29mpg has gone down to like 25-26mpg. And yes, I'm one of those Fit owners that have never had good gas mileage... I got her up 32mpg on the highway once. Woohoo.

Anyone have any ideas what might be causing the MIL to come on? I kind of doubt that it could be caused by anything the dealer did, but what do I know. Unfortunately the dealer's service department is closed on Sundays, so I'm going to call them tomorrow. HELP!
the MIL might be mileage based. I think the last time you had it maintained or checked, the guy forgot to reset the timer? that is one possibility

Old 01-28-2007, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member
MIL light is a emissions related light. Depending on the car anything from 250-300 different things can triggerthe light. As long as it comes on solid you can drive the car until you can get it to your local dealer. If its flashing do not drive the car instead get it towed to your repair facility ASAP. Severe engine damage can result if you keep driving your car with a flashing MIL light....
Call your dealer tomorrow n get it checked out....

Old 01-28-2007, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member
you can go to autozone and borrow a obd2 scanner for free and pull the code

Old 01-29-2007, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member
I had the very same problem for 3 weeks,...then it went away. I told the dealership about it a couple months later. doubt they did anything.

Old 01-29-2007, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member
1 more thing,...it started to happen right after my previous oil change (from Honda).

Edit: I read the 1st post after I posted that. Kind of odd that we had the same problem AFTER we left the dealership,...wouldn't you say? Also, I did see the check fuel cap indicator the whole time. I havent checked my gas mileage in awhile,...bu I guess I'd better do so now.

Last edited by RomeoJunior; 01-29-2007 at 05:03 PM.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:45 PM
UPDATE:

So I called my dealer on Monday. I told the service tech that the "Malfunction Indicator Lamp" came on, which he replied with "I don't know what that is." Awesome. After telling him it was the "check engine light," he said that I must have not replaced the fuel cap correctly. Eventually he reluctantly agreed to set up an appointment for today (Wednesday).

Well, I never ended up going, because the light turned off on Tuesday. Perhaps it was the fuel cap. Guess I'll never know.

Regardless, maybe I should start going to another dealer since my current one doesn't know the MIL is.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:00 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
rather than call and have them try to diagnose your problem over the phone. just drive down there (if it isn't too far)

Old 02-08-2007, 08:31 AM
Cool Check Engine Light

We are getting the same problem, but I think it is the extreme cold weather. We put in gas when it was -3 F and the Check Engine Light has been on ever since. The dealer seems to thing that with the cold and ice that the indicator is stuck and will go away once things thaw out a bit.....That was 3 days ago and temps aren't supposed to rise above freezing for another week or two. My husband is absolutely paranoid about driving the car right now so I am using it for my 1/2 mile commute in the meantime.

Dealer said they'd check it out, but if it was the fuel cap we would get charged for it. Doesn't matter at the moment, because the dealer is over 30 miles away and not exactly an easy trip in this awful weather.