General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Transmission Control Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 12:42 PM
5 Year Member
Unhappy Transmission Control Problem

Transmission control problems
Yesterday, all was fine. This morning, I have a (non-flashing) Malfunction Indicator Light. No gas-cap message, and the cap is tight.
My Fit is less than a month old, sport, automatic transmission.
I also noticed that the transmission made a "clunk" when put into Drive. So, I tried driving it anyway for a mile or so, and the transmission is shifting wrong; jerky. Also, the paddle shifters are not active.
This is the first time the car has been rained on overnight. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not. It has me pretty upset right now. It's Sunday, and my dealership is closed, plus the dealership is 60 miles from here.
Anyone got any ideas? I am afraid to drive it to work in the morning.

Old 04-01-2007, 01:05 PM
Banned
With the mention of rain before the problem started, I'm guessing that the trans. problem is electrical. Check your fuses (??).

Old 04-01-2007, 01:50 PM
5 Year Member
I feel certain that it's electrical, but I don't think there's a fuse to the transmission control. Please tell me I am wrong. If there is such a fuse, do you know which one?

Old 04-01-2007, 02:32 PM
Aren't you happy that it did happen when ALL repairs are FREE-OF-CHARGE???
Tomorrow morning, or whatever, take it straight to the dealer and let the PROFESSIONALS fix the problem for FREE!!! Or, even better, give them a call, the service dept, tell in details about your problem and ask them if it's a good idea to drive your car to them OR maybe they will decide to send a tow-truck (free-of-charge again) to get your car off your parking space... so no worries whatsoever and enjoy the Nascar race
Best of luck!
Chris

Old 04-01-2007, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, better now than after the warranty expires. But it sure pisses me off. I have never bought a new car before, and buying a new Honda, well, I never would have expected this.

Old 04-01-2007, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by Steeldog
Yes, better now than after the warranty expires. But it sure pisses me off. I have never bought a new car before, and buying a new Honda, well, I never would have expected this.
As long as you stay within the warranty mileage/time, just forget about any Advil pills in your glove box... everything is done FREE-OF-CHARGE, regardless you brake-down in your parking lot, NYC, LA or Tijuana, and if no Honda dealership to get the car to, you pay for all expenses (tow-truck included) to get your car fixed, keep all receipts and then they will refund you all the money... PEACE OF MIND...
Chris

Last edited by CB19; 04-01-2007 at 07:38 PM.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:40 PM
Banned
I feel certain that it's electrical, but I don't think there's a fuse to the transmission control. Please tell me I am wrong. If there is such a fuse, do you know which one?
Sorry. Steeldog-
Kind of s stupid suggestion on my part. Something as basic to the car's operation as the transmission would not depend upon a fuse (and I do not see one listed in either the owner's manual that you got with your car, or the Helm Fit Service Manual. As CB19 says, get your dealer to find out what's going on. And please post here how the dealer visit turned out. I am very curious what could cause the transmission to fail like yours did.

I'm sorry not to have a simple answer for you, and sorry for your inconvenience. Best of luck!!

Old 04-01-2007, 10:07 PM
5 Year Member
yeah best of luck and keep us posted. i have an A/T also and am always curious about potential problems.

Old 04-02-2007, 03:18 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Wow I must say this is somewhat shocking to hear. Makes me glad I got the 5 speed, but I always regret it when I hit 2 hour bumper to bumper traffic on I-95

Jordan
'07 Fit Sport (BOM)

Old 04-02-2007, 08:29 AM
5 Year Member
Yes, I feel like it's something simple, something that shorted out in the moisture from the rain. Someone else had a problem with an AT, but I couldn't find in the forum what the solution was. I know it got fixed, but not what was done to fix it.
Got a friend to bring me to work, and am expecting to hear from my dealer in a couple of hours. If it is something major, or time-consuming, I think it would only be right for them to supply me with a car while they have mine.
I will let you guys know what happens.
Thanks for the well-wishes.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:30 PM
5 Year Member
Dealer sent a rollback to my house and picked up the car today, then sent me a rental car (a Taurus, looks good but drives like a bucket of bolts). Guess maybe I'll hear more tomorrow. Keeping fingers crossed that it isn't something big.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:59 PM
5 Year Member
Exclamation Oh My Gosh, Unbelievable!

I absolutely do not believe what I found out today.
First, the good news. You guys can all rest easy; there is no problem that you're going to encounter on your Fit automatics.
Now, the bad-for-me news. My problem was caused by a Mutha Grabbin SQUIRREL, who chewed through some wires. I love the woodsy place where I live, but I am going to shoot, and eat, every gosh-damned bushytailed gray-ass squirrel that I can spot on my property from now on.
Fair warning: Watch out, Chip and Dale, Rocky, and all your cohorts! It's fargin war on the cute rodents from here on out. Squirrel is really tasty when pan-fried for breakfast, and I will relish every bite of your fuzzy, worthless carcass. PETA, kiss my ass.
This is going to be very expensive, since in order to prevent voiding my warranty, apparently I can't just splice the wires. It's a wiring harness replacement. I will have to pay for the rental car, the work on my car, and that big towing bill, with my $500 insurance deductible. Ohhh, how it sucks. But at least it wasn't a lemon that I would have to deal with from now on...
And kudos to my dealership; I turned in the rental car, and the dealership loaned me a BRAND NEW Accord, with 4 miles on the odo. Four-cylinder, five-speed, bad ass and pretty, too. This is Precision Honda in Jasper, Alabama. Good folks, and a nice place, too.
Dammit.

Last edited by Steeldog; 04-04-2007 at 08:43 AM. Reason: changed six cylinder to four cylinder
Old 04-03-2007, 10:04 PM
Steeldog,
Funny story. I had a Nutria making a eating establishment out of my old 83 300d Mercedes a few years back.
Sorry for your luck, but if your like me your going to love your Fit.
Mine is 2600 miles old and averaging 33.8 mpg. (auto)
Best thing, it's just a fun car to drive.

Good example you are, making the best of a bad deal. Ketchup or mustard sauce.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:06 PM
Squirrels are evil..

Last edited by bestfit; 04-03-2007 at 10:10 PM.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:26 PM
Banned
Steeldog-
Wow! As you said, good news that it wasn't a defect that we have to worry about, but REALLY BAD NEWS for you. I'm sorry for your troubles, and sorry that I also have squirrels, but I feed them, so maybe they'll stay away from my Fit!

Best of luck to you in the future!

Dave

Old 04-04-2007, 08:51 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks, guys.
I have fed squirrels, too, albeit never on purpose. They are, of course, constantly raiding bird feeders. This fact will play to my advantage from this day forward. My feeders are situated close enough to the house that I can hit them with my Ruger .22 pistol, and there's nothing but woods and earth behind them as a backstop.
My days of giving a crap about the squirrels have come to an end. I am going to stop calling them Frank and Glenn; now they are all Osama.

Old 04-04-2007, 04:21 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
^LOL OMG funny story.

i had a similar situation with my car. every night when i come home, rats would somehow climb and sleep on top of my transmission. Also, they liked leaving a mess of huge rat droppings EVERY night. Eventually, i left rat poison on top of the trans for the weekend. and a week later, the "problem" was gone

at my school in University of Houston, squirrels will walk up to you and expect you to give them food. i kick them.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:09 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds like these vermin are really fond of the motor vehicle, huh? Sort of like all of us. I didn't know so many people drove Ratmobiles. Better a squirrel than a nutria, I suppose!
My insurance adjuster had quite a laugh when I called him, but he did say he has had this type of claim once before.
I will post again with the final outcome when this is settled, just in case anyone is interested. Thanks, Y'all. You at least cheered me up!
Joe

Old 04-13-2007, 05:30 AM
5 Year Member
Repairs complete

I am going back to pick up my car today. Insurance paid $700, I am paying $1,100. This partly because of the huge towing bill, which was incurred because the dealership is over 70 miles from my home, and it wasn't a factory problem. Guess the seat covers, tint, et cetera will be waiting a while. But I sure am looking forward to being back in the Fit!

Old 04-13-2007, 05:54 AM
5 Year Member
I am going back to pick up my car today. Insurance paid $700, I am paying $1,100. This partly because of the huge towing bill, which was incurred because the dealership is over 70 miles from my home, and it wasn't a factory problem. Guess the seat covers, tint, et cetera will be waiting a while. But I sure am looking forward to being back in the Fit!
Here's to no more problems w/ the "vermin"! I once had mice to chew all the headlight wires in my '89 Accord, which I discovered just as I had to return home from a trip in the late evening hours! Enjoy the ride back home! VBP Sport 5MT

Quick Reply: Transmission Control Problem