General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Base vs Sport

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 08:25 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Base vs Sport

Ok, the dealership is getting in a red AT base model in first of May. I am going to test drive the car and see how it goes. I've already driven the AT Sport which I fell in love with. However, I would love to hear from Fit Base owners as to what you love about the base. If you had to do it over again would you have gotten the Sport instead? I am just wanting to make sure that I make the right decision. The dealership is getting a VBP and Red Sport in mid-May which if I decide not to go with the base, I'll put down a deposit on the VBP and get the vin #. I would love to hear from those of you who own a base and see what you have to say.

Thanks!
Cat :X

Old 04-14-2007, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up Base / Sport

I drove a base model before ordering the Sport. The Sport was a better deal in my opinion, due to
1. Cruise control
2. Remote entry (especially useful in the rain)
3. Paddle shifters make it fun for an automatic
4. Better stereo
5. Prettier

What I don't particularly like is what a lot of people do like: the curb-bumping plastic ground effects. Sometimes, I would like it better if I could pull up to the curb a little farther.

Old 04-14-2007, 05:20 PM
1) Paddle shifters... driving becomes a real thrill when using them
2) The body of the Sport model is pretty much different than the Base one, and that includes larger wheels... for me the Sport model is a relatively small car but with an aggressive attitude... no such thing for the Base model, sorry Base owners
3) Cruise control for long road trips is outstanding

My favorite pick is the AT Sport... but the most expensive Fit as well..
Chris

Old 04-14-2007, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member
Wheels

Aye, I forgot about the wheels.
What he said.

Old 04-14-2007, 09:17 PM
Better wheels and stereo are the only Sport model extras that I'm envious of, but I'll be replacing both eventually. For an automatic, the paddle shifters might change the equation. Anyway, I drove both and there's no difference I noticed other than the listed features.

I can do without the rear spoiler. More rear downforce is about the last thing the Fit needs.

Old 04-15-2007, 03:21 PM
Aluminum wheels, cruise control, Ipod auxillary jack (a must for me), better stereo, remote entry, paddle shifters.

Old 04-15-2007, 04:19 PM
5 Year Member
It all depends on what's important to you. I chose the base because most of the added options in the sport weren't important to me, and so were a waste of money.

It's primarily a looks package, and to me, the looks (spoiler, wind effects panels) just make it looked riced out, and that's not the look I'm going for. Either way, I don't think it's the most attractive car on the road, but that's not why I bought it, anyway.

Some sport options can be added to the base. Looking at the specs, these are all the things I could find that the sport has, but base doesn't:

1. 0.1 ft larger curb-to-curb turning diameter (34.4' vs. 34.3')
2. 37 lbs. heavier (2551 vs. 2514, both AT)
3. 1 mpg worse highway mileage (37 vs. 38)
4. Paddle shifters
5. 15" alloy wheels (vs. 14" steel) with P195/55 R15 84H tires (vs. P175/65 R14 81S)
6. Remote entry & alarm system
7. Fog lights
8. Leather steering wheel cover
9. Underbody kit and spoiler
10. Cruise control
11. 200-watt stereo (vs. 160) with 5-mode equalizer, CD text display, and MP3/WMA playback
12. 2 extra speakers (tweeters)
13. Aux input jack

#1-3 can't be changed, but are arguably negatives for the sport, anyway.

#4 can't be changed, so if paddle shifting is important to you, the sport's your only way to go. For me, I wasn't interested in the paddle shift, which meant the paddles were just something in my way.

If any of #5-8 are important to you, they can easily be added at the dealer or aftermarket. Depending on how many items you want, adding options may be cheaper (and in your case, you get your car sooner) than if you go with the sport. For me, I'm only adding remote entry, for $140 installed at the dealer (and no alarm, which I kinda prefer).

If any of #9-13 are important to you, you may also want the sport. These items can be added, but it's more involved, generally with aftermarket parts. In the case of the stereo, you may prefer a better, aftermarket stereo anyway. Install isn't the easiest, but there are dash kits out there now, (like this) making it possible for you to have a really nice stereo installed, probably for less than the price of a sport upgrade.

For me, not having cruise control is a little bit of a bummer, but when I really think about it, I've never really used it on cars that have it (usually too much traffic, even on long highway drives, to use it effectively without wanting to change my speed all the time--so then what's the point?). I do really want the aux input jack, though, so I'm working on doing that. It's a hefty job, but there's a thread about it here, and I'm sure you could get someone to do it for you (though I plan to do it myself).

I'm happy with my base Fit, and I don't regret not having a sport at all. But everyone's priorities are different....

Old 04-15-2007, 10:22 PM
Oh yes the mp3 wma cd's are a plus also. I'm coming from a 95 Civic hatch with hardly any amenities, so the Fit Sport is pretty decked compared to what I'm used to. I really like the Sport's stereo.

BTW, nice comparison Jesicar!

Old 04-15-2007, 11:38 PM
Jesicar described the situation very well. For me, I knew going into it that I wanted to put different wheels on so the alloys were pointless, the spoiler and bodykit look okay, but I prefer a cleaner look and would prefer something styled closer to the noblesse kit.

The paddle shifters may be a little fun, but end of the day, it's just a dressed up automatic. If it was a direct sequential manual gearbox, then it would be a different story.

The story isn't a big enough improvement to sway my opinion. The base LX model that I got here in Canada has an Aux input, so I'm not sure where all that stuff is coming from.

Two things that I would have liked would be the keyless entry (fairly cheap add on with a good do-it yourselfer car guy buddy) and the black interior seating, simply because I want a black colour scheme car, so its not a real factor, more of a vanity thing. Besides, hopefully I come into a small fortune shortly so I can get it re-apolstered in some nice fancy leather.

Old 04-16-2007, 03:43 PM
I was moving from a pretty luxurious package on my Beetle, leather, seat warmers, fog lights etc... so I found the Sport to be closer in amenities.... I really didn't want to do without cruise control, I actually use it a fair amount, And, yeah, although I am a married, 37 YO chick, I do like the little bit of a "tricked out" look to my sport... it's well, sporty! I really like the fog lights on the Fit, they are very wide, and really illuminate the road well, I know people have griped about the regular lights, but I just always keep the fogs on and see better than in my old Beetle. I also really like the ease of an AT, with a little manual control from the paddle shifters, nice when passing!

If you are into a lot of DYI, I guess there is a lot you could do to bring a base up to similar with add ons, and actually save $$. But for me, as a non "work-on-my-car" person, I just wanted to have the amenities already there. It kind of depends on how much work you want to put into it. I have to say though, the guys and their Modding on this forum have inspired me to get a few after market things, like my seat covers, and do it myself!

I considered going with the base (because I liked that funky light blue color that only the base has) but in the end my Sport AT VBP gives me lots o little goodies and I look/style I enjoy! But like everyone's saying, ultimately only you can figure what's best for you!
Kitty

Old 04-16-2007, 09:46 PM
The salespersond put it to me this way....

If you could get the options sepparately for a base fit that the Sport has, the price would be higher for the base with options than for the Sport without otions.

But you can't get some of the stuff on a base Fit.

To me I want a Fit Sport. The get some tastful Red H badges and maybe the JDM Fit badge with the red dot on the i.

And the F1 freak that I am says I have to have the paddle shifters.

Old 04-16-2007, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Coffey
The story isn't a big enough improvement to sway my opinion. The base LX model that I got here in Canada has an Aux input, so I'm not sure where all that stuff is coming from.
In the US, we don't have DX and LX--only base and sport, and the base model doesn't have the aux input.

Also, btw, I got my keyless entry installed today at a local dealer--$140 incl. labor. Also bought a cargo cover for $120--can't believe this isn't standard, even on the sport!!

Now all I need is an aux jack!

Old 11-17-2014, 04:51 PM
Ressuracting this from the bottom, I found a roof rack on amazon, When I put in the info to make sure it fits the vehicle it says it wont fit the sport but it does fit the base model, I have a sport and My guess would be its the same, But would there be a reason it does not?

Old 11-17-2014, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member
Maybe the spoiler gets in the way somehow? That's the only roof difference between the two that I can think of.