General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.
View Poll Results: Ca water blades
use it / love it
48.78%
hate it / never use again
12.20%
damaged my car
7.32%
don't know what one is
31.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

California water blade Yes or No

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member
Question California water blade Yes or No

I want to see what all of you think about the water blades. I use one at work and like it, but always said I'd never use it on my Lambo
(I wish I had one)
-use it /love it
-never will use one (why?)
-caused damage to my car
-don't know what one is

Old 07-19-2007, 11:41 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
This is the same as a California Dry Blade right? It's a squeegee to help dry off your car? I have one and use it, but I'm pretty sure I've added a few scratches with it.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:12 AM
5 Year Member
yes the same thing,,thanks for your reply

Old 07-20-2007, 01:21 AM
check out the tutorials on how to properly wash your vehicle at MOTHERS® Polishes·Waxes·Cleaners They certainly educated me on how to improve my car care finish techniques.

Put one of those mirror like finishes on your FiT with some polishes / waxes and soft microfibre, pick your own sauce "turtle wax", "mcquires"(sp?) or my favorite "Mothers",

Mark me down as a H377 NO on that squigee P.O.S.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:29 AM
5 Year Member
thanks for the link I will check it out,,

Old 07-20-2007, 09:40 AM
Retired Moderator
Been using it for years. I don't really use it to dry the car completely. But before I use it, I always make sure it is clean and that I have a towel in hand. I use it to squeegee the majority of the water off, quick passes along the car. Key to ensuring it doesn't scratch anything is to make sure that your car is 100% clean! Treat the wiper like it was your expensive drying towel, never let it touch the ground or anything grainy to prevent scratches on your car

Old 07-20-2007, 11:44 AM
It's great as a first pass drying tool, but you'll need to following up with a towel/shammee/whatever.

Also, the plastic handle _will_ scratch your paint first time you mess up. I think there is a version called the "Jelly Blade" or something similar that has a soft rubbery handle that would be the best way to go.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:53 AM
Retired Moderator
Yup, always follow up with a shammy...that's exactly what I use it for, a first pass tool, that way your shammy won't be all water logged after you wipe down the first panel

Old 07-20-2007, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jay_cee_in_da_house
It's great as a first pass drying tool, but you'll need to following up with a towel/shammee/whatever.

Also, the plastic handle _will_ scratch your paint first time you mess up. I think there is a version called the "Jelly Blade" or something similar that has a soft rubbery handle that would be the best way to go.
I have heard the same thing about the hard handle,,one mistake and it hurts. The "Jelly" blade is a good alternative.

Old 07-20-2007, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member
Water removal

Does anyone else here use the "Absorber" rubber chamois? It is by far the best water removal / drying tool out there in my opinion. MUCH better than those soft squeegees like the waterblade because it doesn't scrape the water off a narrow area, it's "floppy" so it touches the car's curved surfaces and it is SUPER absorbent and soft. Very easy to care for, too. I have tried another brand, and it was not at all like the Absorber brand. Get one at AutoZone or WalMart for about $9 and it will last for years. I can't say enough good things about this product.

Old 07-20-2007, 06:13 PM
5 Year Member
got a link to one? I'd like to see it

Old 07-20-2007, 06:43 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Ive been using it since it came out YEARS ago. My dad ordered it off TV.
That was back when the handle was plastic. Now we have a all rubber/silicone one.

The plastic handle leaves nicks/marks/scratches when you hit the car on accident. The new soft handles are so much safer.
Love it. Hate going to friends houses that DONT have them. I get mad and yell at them "WHY DONT YOU HAVE A WATERBLADE!?!"

I use the waterblade first, then the absorber.

Old 07-20-2007, 06:55 PM
5 Year Member
yup i use it and love it, just to make sure the majority of the water comes off first before i towel it down

Old 07-20-2007, 08:33 PM
I first saw our detail dept using them for new cars, so I picked one up as well, they take a good portion of the water off before you go in for the finer drying with the shammy (spelling?)

Old 07-20-2007, 10:55 PM
5 Year Member
Link to "Absorber"

Originally Posted by grouser
got a link to one? I'd like to see it
Here's a link to the Absorber chamois. Maybe the link will work; I usually bat about .500 with links.

Amazon.com: Absorber 51149 The Absorber Chamois 27" x 17" (Colors May Vary): Automotive

By the way, JDMish, just FYI, this word is spelled "chamois" but is pronounced "shammy." You will have to ask some French person why.

If you watch any swimming or diving events on, say, the Olympics, you will often see the swimmers using one of these to dry off a bit.
I have two right now so I can keep my wife away from mine.

Good luck!

Last edited by Steeldog; 07-20-2007 at 11:15 PM. Reason: can't shut up
Old 07-20-2007, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member
thanks for the link ,,,,they look cuushie

Old 07-21-2007, 08:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JDMish
shammy (spelling?)
Since you asked, it's "chamois". Dictionary.com lists a few alternate spellings like the ones above, but they're all bastardized attempts at spelling the word phonetically, which doesn't work so well in English since the word is French. By now I'm sure several companies have adapted one or more of the bastardized versions, anyway.

Old 07-22-2007, 10:41 PM
5 Year Member
bump for more votes

Old 07-22-2007, 11:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steeldog
Here's a link to the Absorber chamois. Maybe the link will work; I usually bat about .500 with links.

Amazon.com: Absorber 51149 The Absorber Chamois 27" x 17" (Colors May Vary): Automotive

By the way, JDMish, just FYI, this word is spelled "chamois" but is pronounced "shammy." You will have to ask some French person why.

If you watch any swimming or diving events on, say, the Olympics, you will often see the swimmers using one of these to dry off a bit.
I have two right now so I can keep my wife away from mine.

Good luck!

I use the "Absorber" Chamois too. I have it in purple :P Its awesome.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:23 PM
5 Year Member
Chamois-chamois-ko-ko-bop

Originally Posted by hotkamote
I use the "Absorber" Chamois too. I have it in purple :P Its awesome.
Yowzah, mine's purple, too. You obviously have good taste.
My wife's chamois is yellow. Unless the dog has eaten hers by now.

Nothing wrong with the Waterblade, but as someone said earlier, you still need to follow it with the Absorber to get the spots, nooks and crannies. And as we all know, every time you shut the hatch when it's wet, Bam! More water appears. Good to have that Absorber handy.

Quick Reply: California water blade Yes or No