General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

I want a fit...

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 06:18 PM
5 Year Member
I want a fit...

Currently I drive a '96 integra with almost 200k miles and am looking to upgrade to a fit.. i cant get over the clean styling and the fact that they are so functional.

My only REAL dillemma is that my parents probably arent going to let me get a new car, even tho i'll be the one paying for it. Im 18 and fear that my car is not going to last to much longer.

How could i argue with my parents so they'll consider it???

Old 10-22-2007, 06:28 PM
Um, you're 18, and if you're the one paying for it... does that include paying for insurance and gas? And is it because they'd rather have you pay the extra money to them for rent?

If not, you're an adult, buy your own car.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:54 PM
5 Year Member
I am an adult, I will be paying for it by myself, and I pay for my gas.

My mom keeps telling me something about how I'm going to need someone to cosign.. is this true?

Old 10-22-2007, 07:06 PM
not if you have enough money in the bank and can get a loan from your bank, I put $5k down and I didn't need a cosigner. I had absolutely no credit before buying this car.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:45 PM
It's a $15k car. If you have absoluty no credit record (or even if your have a few minor issues), put $2k down and you'll have no problem at all without a consigner... assuming you have steady income.

You might get a lower interest rate with your mom cosigning... but again, we're talking $15k... a point one way or the other on the interest rate isn't going to make a huge difference in your payments... maybe $10

If you do want to take up the argument... point out that it's a cheaper, less powerfull, FAR more functional car than the one you have now. It gets better MPG than almost anything on the market and has better safety equipment/ ratings than anything in this class, plus you'de have a warranty...

Old 10-22-2007, 07:49 PM
5 Year Member
Thats my thing.. I dont have very much in the bank but wanna sell my car or trade it in. If I was to go to a Honda dealership and trade in my car for about 3-4k, Payments would be reasonable?

and also.. i have no credit...

Old 10-22-2007, 09:11 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I would go to my local Honda dealership - test drive the Fit and sit down and talk out the details with the salesperson. They are not going to sell for anything less than MSRP so there is no haggling. I would take your car
so they can say how much they would give you on a trade in and then see what they are talking about. Ask for monthly payments going through Honda. Also if you could do a good used Honda for less - consider it. The Fit is a great car but there are plenty of great Honda's on the used lot that would be a great car for you too. Check around to different banks with the details from Honda in your pocket to see what current rates are in your area. Then go to your Mom and present the facts, the information from the dealership, the bank and your Mom will be impressed with the fact that you've done your research.

Best of luck!

Cat :x

Old 10-22-2007, 09:22 PM
5 Year Member
i have considered other hondas.. my new dilemma (other than buying the car) is the insurance.. what insurance companies do you all have? all of the quotes that i get are rediculous.. help

Old 10-22-2007, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by drock305
Thats my thing.. I dont have very much in the bank but wanna sell my car or trade it in. If I was to go to a Honda dealership and trade in my car for about 3-4k, Payments would be reasonable?

and also.. i have no credit...
i have to think that you will definitely NOT get that kind of money for a trade in, much less one with that many miles.

if you need to get rid of this car to pay for the fit, i highly suggest that you line up your fit and everything first, and try to sell your current car on your own. dealerships are notorious for ripping you off on your trade-in.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:33 PM
5 Year Member
How could i argue with my parents so they'll consider it???
Get a job and buy one yourself.
Or go off to college and in 4 yrs when you get out, You can get a brand new 200HP Hybrid 50mpg 2011 Fit all by yourself.
(Exaggerating a bit with those specs ..hehe he)

Old 10-22-2007, 10:38 PM
5 Year Member

My mom keeps telling me something about how I'm going to need someone to cosign.. is this true?
dude???!!! if you don't know if you need a cosigner or not, then you are not schooled up on Credit in general. Thus you have no business financing a car. I think your parents may be on to something by not letting you get a brand new car.

Ok drock,

I didn't mean to be harsh, but I won't erase or edit this post. I'll just add to it.
My first 2 posts were responses to your first 2 posts in this thread. I have just finished reading your other posts and I seriously believe you need to apply the brakes.
The questions you are asking show that you have a lot to study.

Please for your sake and your financial future, take a step back and learn about all these things you are asking about.
Financing, insurance, credit, etc. Fully understand them before you put a $15K debt on your head. You are only 18. You don't need this kind of debt. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to ruin your dream of getting a Fit. Also, to many people regardless of age , $15k is not expensive. However, for a lot of other people it is. Many people make their first big financial mistakes with new cars that they have no business buying. Please don't become a statistic.

What are your future plans? Are you going to college, the armed forces or are you going to work? What is your financial outlook for the next 5 yrs. Can you afford $300+ (approximate ...amount depends on down payment, etc) for the next 5 yrs. Or can that money go to something else you need? College? Savings ? etc?

But then again, your family might be stinking rich and money is not an issue.

A new car is a very tempting piece of merchandise. Especially the Fit. It kicks a$$. But be smart. Honda will always have an awesome product for you to buy. You don't HAVE TO get the Fit today, this year or next. Get it when your are ready and not on impulse.

Last edited by Apex77; 10-22-2007 at 10:57 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:05 PM
Retired Moderator
When i talked my parents(im 16) into getting the Fit i concentrated on the standard safety features. Such as side curtain airbags standard..Then i talked about it being a Honda and it would be cheap to mantain and how great MPG it gets! The brochure has a great picture of all the airbags deployed and that sold my mom, try it, its a good trick!

Old 10-23-2007, 05:26 PM
5 Year Member
apex.. you have a really good point..
im thinking that i'll just do regular maintenance on my integra and do some mods to it.. just make it look good.. and run good.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:00 PM
5 Year Member
heheh, I am 22, nothing down, no co-signer, they wanted to sell badly, and they did.

I pay 2x the minimum payment and I have less than a year to go.