General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

2008 Tpms

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 11:07 AM
5 Year Member
2008 Tpms

I read through the earlier threads on this but I'm still confused.

My question is "what will happen if I run aftermarket wheels without TPMS sensors on my 08? Will the TPMS light stay on or not?"

There seem to be a variety of opinions/experiences on the board. Some say that it won't throw a light as long as you keep the original wheels (with the sensors) far enough away while they're being stored. That doesn't seem to make sense, though, since the owners manual says that the TPMS malfunction indicator light (not the low pressure warning) will come on when you run the temporary spare. Honda told me the same thing, ie that the TPMS light will stay on until and unless it picks up the proper signal from the sensors. That seems to make sense since the system presumably would throw a malfunction light if it couldn't "find" one or more of the sensors, because the battery died or it failed for some other reason.

I'd like to run the 07 16" wheels without having to worry about the sensors and without having to have to ignore a warning light.

Thanks for the help.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:54 AM
5 Year Member
if they are honda wheels im sure there is a very easy way to make them TPMS compatible

Old 11-21-2007, 12:09 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
if you want to run the HFP wheels on the Fit, they can transfer the sensors onto the Wheels. We have a 08 VBP here at work with them.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:51 PM
I had to put the sparetire on my '08 at the beginning of last week and the TPMS light, not the (!) light signaling low tire pressure, does come on and stay on while the spare is on the car.
I'm not sure about any price differences between them but if you order the HFP 16's that are made for the '08 Fit's they will already have the TPMS sensor on them from the start.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:32 PM
I wonder if the TPMS sensors are triggered by rotation via acceleraometers? For example, since you place the spare tire on the car, three sensors get activated once you start moving. The TPMS only gets three readings from the three turning wheels and sees this as a malfunction. The TPMS sensors probably only turn on for a short period of time when the car moves to preserve battery life (since changing batteries would be difficult).

Old 11-22-2007, 07:51 AM
5 Year Member
How do they work?

How does the TPMS work? How do the sensors get power and communicate back to the computer in the vehicle? I saw an FCC statement in the manual in that section, so I assume it's via radio. Are each really equipped with a battery? I don't see how else they'd get power.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member
I am going through this right now as my wheels were stolen (after three weeks)right in my driveway and I had to replace everything-including sensors(honda sensors 385.00). Now, my tpms light came on after 20 miles and won't go off. I've tried the draining of air pressure on each tire but that didn't work(w/key in lock position) Honda gave me the run around because I didn't have factory rims and then told me that I needed to drive in a 360 three times then drive 5 minutes at 30mph and that would fix it!!!!! I find that very hard to believe. Yes it is still under warranty and they will fix it but I will probably wait for the oil change (they gave me 2yrs free changes)and have it fixed then. I am hoping I can get it fixed before, but from what I am reading here, that doesn't appear to be the case. By the way, they do have a battery but it is sealed and lasts about five years.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:32 AM
Pull a fuse????

Is it possible to pull a fuse to deactivate the TPMS permanently? Possible or not?

Old 12-10-2007, 03:37 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
im going to be running aftermarket wheels and i am assuming the
light will turn on and stay on... so be it.

are you going to trust your idiot light, or are you going to measure
the tires with a tire gauge every other week (minimum) as car
enthusiasts do?

from my experience, ive gotton more error lights than actual low pressure
from a variety of tpms sensors (RF type and ABS type).