General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Lost key

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 04:42 PM
5 Year Member
Lost key

Well that didn't take long, a few months of owning this car and I've already lost a key. The search function won't accept the word 'key', so here I go.

I called the local Honda dealer and they quoted me $46 for the key and $85 to program it and the old key. Is it necessary to program the old key too? A nearby Honda dealer quoted me $60 for key and programming, is something wrong here?

I have an 08 Fit Sport, does that change any of the programming necessary with the keyless entry? And is there a cheaper way to go about getting a replacement key?

Old 01-02-2008, 05:01 PM
As far as keys and security go, I wouldnt mind spending what I can afford to have a peace of mind that my key and keyless entry are secured and in perfect working condition.

$131 dollars for the keys are not cheap, but $131 is not too much afterall.
$60 and the $71 you saved might get you into endless worries, plus, if you are planning to resell the car, buyers will not like keys and locks being touched at all as that indicates the car could be stolen.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
yes you have to have your old key re-programed.... the design of honda's keys is such: in order to have a new key coded, you must have all the keys to the car together, if you lost one, they will have to re-code your current key as well.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:05 AM
5 Year Member
What exactly can I do on my own for key programming? Isn't there a code you can do to make the car learn a new remote?

Old 01-03-2008, 12:13 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Firebat666
yes you have to have your old key re-programed.... the design of honda's keys is such: in order to have a new key coded, you must have all the keys to the car together, if you lost one, they will have to re-code your current key as well.
This is false. YOU DO NOT NEED TO REPROGRAM THE OLD KEY. There is a add key function on the program tool used so it will add the same code to a new key. I have done it before.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
really? my dealer shorted me a key and when they got me another one... they said i had to have all of my keys with me to add a new one, also told me that if i lost one i would have to get all my keys recoded.... weird but thanks for the correction! sorry for the wrong info too i was misinformed!

Old 01-04-2008, 11:35 AM
5 Year Member
jdmchris any chance you could link some honda documentation showing this? My dealer kinda sucks and it would be nice to have something in writing to give them about it

Old 01-04-2008, 11:52 AM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cwapface
jdmchris any chance you could link some honda documentation showing this? My dealer kinda sucks and it would be nice to have something in writing to give them about it
Sorry I dont have anything that says it in writing. The program itself lets you recode ALL keys, or ADD a key. I used to think all keys were needed before as well... but My service advisor showed me different.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:25 PM
s0x
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JDMchris.com
Sorry I dont have anything that says it in writing. The program itself lets you recode ALL keys, or ADD a key. I used to think all keys were needed before as well... but My service advisor showed me different.
sometimes when im talking to car dealers i picture Chris standing behind me with brass knuckles screaming BREAK YO SELF NUKKA! it gives me courage to stand up to them lol

Old 01-09-2008, 04:26 PM
maybe the dealer want to have all keys together in order to code a "brand new" "passcode" for all keys, instead of using the OLD "passcode" for the newly added key, for security reason?

cause see, if you dont change the passcode, wherever you lost your key and if it is unfortunately picked up by someone, that means their key will work too, isnt it.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:48 PM
Lost Key

Hi all--

I'm in a similar position. Just lost one of my keys yesterday . Doubtful I'll ever see it again. Anyway, I also have a 2008 Honda FIT sport.

Called my dealer out in Natick, MA--Bernardi Honda--and they quoted me $49.95 for programming and $58.58 for a "typical" master key. Not sure what they meant by typical, but will find out this coming Monday. They didn't say anything about reprogramming the remaining key, so it sounds like this loss will set me back around $110.

I'll update this post when I learn more.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:52 AM
5 Year Member
newbie question

Originally Posted by JDMchris.com
What program? Could you provide a link or instructions-sorry if this is a dumb question. I know the autolock is going to lock me out when I am warming it up and getting all the snow off it and I know that will happen when my other half has the key somewhere else. So I would really love to get another key but I would also really love not to spend 100$ on getting ir programmed