General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Cross Country tour?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 07:54 PM
Cross Country tour?

So a friend and I were talking about going on a great-American-Road-Trip after our graduation, literally...right after our graduation. Has anyone done a 5000+ road trip with their fit before? Any recommendations? Problems?

Cheers,
Warren

Old 01-13-2008, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member
Just remember to work out a network of other Fit owners to visit (and to save on motel costs).

Get satellite radio. My preference is XM. You'll get tired of listening to the same CDs or MP3s after awhile.

Also, if you're taking your tour in the summer, be sure to carry plenty of extra water for when you're in the southwest. It can be a lifesaver.

Have fun!

Old 01-13-2008, 08:30 PM
Retired Moderator
I would recomend some really comfy seats! Not only are they going to transform you interior into something far better then stock, but if you choose right they will offer alot more comfort!

Tyler

Old 01-13-2008, 08:42 PM
5 Year Member
A good idea would be to get two camelbacks one for each of you, and hang them on the back of the seat so you have a pretty constant supply of water so you don't pile up on water bottles.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by SpoonSportFit
A good idea would be to get two camelbacks one for each of you, and hang them on the back of the seat so you have a pretty constant supply of water so you don't pile up on water bottles.
Thats an awsome idea!!!
Then I could also hook up a small pale to the front of my pants to complete the cycle!
Then you could put the "collection" in your rad and save on antifreeze....I may be onto something ppl...
i know that was childish...but that is how I feel today...really was a clever idea ...the camelback/pack thing...props to you ...*golf clap*

Old 01-13-2008, 11:59 PM
Did 3300 miles round trip from Corpus Christi, Tx. to Los Angeles in 5 days. No problems what so ever.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:07 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
My friend tried this, and he failed. He decided to drive to California from Pennsylvania, in his parent's 1996 Ford Windstar minivan.

He did not make it.

Well actually, he did. But on the way home the van broke down in Nevada and he was stranded for a week.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:09 AM
5 Year Member
make sure you check your spare tire air pressure, also make sure you have your jack and lug wrench. buy a $20 gas card and stick it in your wallet and dont use it unless its an emergency.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:52 AM
5 Year Member
well you have a lot of time. so i guess the first thing you guys should do is plan your route and see if you can get together with other fit freaks to make the trip more interesting. That and possibly upgrading your seats as i've heard they arent that comfortable on the lower back for those longer trips. and you guys have a pretty long trip :P

Old 05-25-2016, 03:58 PM
What would you suggest?

Old 05-25-2016, 10:33 PM
I did something like this a few years ago soon after I got my Fit (going from Vermont to visit my brother and his family outside of San Diego, then up the coast and back home). I've also done a fair few shorter but still pretty long trips in the Fit, and more road trips in previous cars.

In terms of car operation, it's like driving on a short trip, just more. If you're below maybe 50% on the maintenance minder, expect to need to change the oil sometime before you get back.

My recommendation? Since you have the opportunity, go for it! It's harder to take longer times off once you have a "real job," in many cases. Do some planning beforehand, to at least have a general idea of your route and timetable and budget; but it's certainly possible to plan too much, particularly if you're willing to be a little flexible if motels are booked full or whatever. There are quite possibly some exceptions for especially popular destinations. Especially if you're staying in motels, an AAA membership may be worth getting for discounts and maps and guidebooks and for the roadside assistance. (There are also other roadside assistance programs available elsewhere, perhaps through your insurance company.)

I find that, for me, anything much beyond ten hours of driving in a day pretty soon starts becoming unsafe due to tiredness. With another driver, that's less of an issue.

In terms of some things to see...of course a lot depends on your preferences and interests, but among other things I've enjoyed the Blue Ridge Parkway (and Skyline Drive to its north), the Henry Ford museum and Greenfield Village ("The Henry Ford" I think they call it officially now), the St Louis City Museum which is entirely unique and hard to describe, Yellowstone national park (also entirely unique, and reservations are suggested there!), California highway 1 (which is better going north to south, unless you're afraid of heights, as you get a better view of the ocean from the ocean side of the road), many cities and museums,....

Old 05-27-2016, 07:33 AM
5 Year Member
Sorry, didn't realize this was a zombie thread.