General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Scan gauge schooling

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 08:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jdjohnson9
rep+ for you for all your research.
What are these rep points?

Old 02-29-2008, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by pcs0snq
Mine is 4 weeks old with 900 miles and a totally stock car.

Depending on the cost and how it would effect the warranty I'd be willing to bolt on proven stuff that has documented mpg gains if the cost payback makes sense.

Do we know of stuff that really works and has been pr oven with data???

What I see is 99% of the folks that make changes like this are in the other camp and want more power than the OEM 109hp. I think that why any reliable data on the gains may be missing.
The mods that are out there have only data on increased HP and none for increased MPG. You can expect a MPG gain but there is no data to prove it besides others stating their gains. Its a long shot but for me, as long as you dont gun it, i do show gains over stock. At the same time though tweaking with any car can void warranties and so fourth. Maybe a drop in K&N or maybe a tornado can help you. Those will not void warranties that i know for sure. The warranty claims are simple. The dealership has to prove that your modification was the cause for what ever malfunction occured. Its hard to do but it is still a possibility. Thats my .02 cents atleast.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:20 AM
What are these rep points?
Oh boy. Reputation points are pretty much a bragging right and show that you know what you are talking about and are not just joe shmo talking out of your ars. In other words the higher the rep point the better knowledgable or liked, in some forums, you are. Thats the basics atleast.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:54 PM
I will be getting a SG sometime aswell. I need new furniture first though otherwise the wife will kill me if i buy more car parts first
rep+ for you for all your research.
ooooh nooo
get the furniture
and yeah he deff deserves a +rep...so here goes...

Old 02-29-2008, 03:00 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks Guys. Just trying to share some stuff and learn too.
I was thinking that was linked to number of posts.

I'm the 2nd highest poster on DRR and drag race site with over 10,000. maybe 10k users. No rep points there. Something new for me

Old 02-29-2008, 03:06 PM
pcs0snq, happy new +rep, now your tick tack is green

I think of rep pts many times more like positive and negative recognition.

here is a link that you may love or hate. And it probably wont help you but
its a funky thread none the less, if you are still curious-
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/off-...y-bothers.html

enjoy the newly founded confusion

Old 02-29-2008, 03:11 PM
pcs0snq,
when you click on your User CP scroll down to the bottom and it will show
who, where, and why you got the + or - rep. It only shows the most current one (in case you were wondering how to know if and when you got them) You can also see your invisible rep pts (before they become full
reps on your title)

Thanks for finding out when the fuel comes back on when coasting to a stop in 5th. yeah thats pretty much clutch in time anyway, thats great

Old 02-29-2008, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Snap Fit
pcs0snq,
You can also see your invisible rep pts (before they become full
reps on your title)
invisible lol your kidding right

so that nice comment you made, made me green... thanks
Hey whats the deal above it Rep Power?

I read the site FAQ and searched on it nothing.
I'm thinking it's some Fit super secret cult thing

Old 02-29-2008, 09:45 PM
invisible lol your kidding right

Nope! If you thought that was funny there is even invisible, invisible rep pts ones that you never see that move in increments of possible tenths of a point at a time

so that nice comment you made, made me green... thanks
Hey whats the deal above it Rep Power?
A grey tick tack by your rep mean you have no power yet or you are just new. A red tick tack is if you have been negative repped bellow 1 invisible rep pt. A green tick tack show that you have at least some rep pts. Invisible or not. If you hold your cursor over your or anybody elses tick tack it will tell you a little bit about their rep status, sometimes its funny as heck.
I call them tick tacks, but they are that little tiny rectangular swatch of color by your post count on the right hand side of your post.

I read the site FAQ and searched on it nothing.
I'm thinking it's some Fit super secret cult thing
Did you try that link I posted?
I do think we should get back to topic though, I dont want to tick anybody off

Last edited by Snap Fit; 02-29-2008 at 09:45 PM. Reason: just because....
Old 03-01-2008, 12:03 AM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by Snap Fit
I do think we should get back to topic though, I dont want to tick anybody off
Yes.
Please guys stay on topic.

Tyler

Old 03-01-2008, 09:53 AM
5 Year Member
Tyler, As you cut this off and are a moderator, would you be so kind as to explain with some details what I was asking or perhaps point me to a place on this site I can read of the details? You can email me or PM me. The board is very advanced with features, from the ones I frequent, but lacks detailed descriptions on how many of these features work or perhaps they are just hidden from my searches to date???
thanks

Old 03-01-2008, 10:42 AM
To be honest with you nobody really knows about the reps. If you follow the link that Snap Fit was so eager to link it will show what everyone has found thus far otherwise nobody knows. Yea kinda messed up but thats all we got for now. As for everyone else yea the details to the site are pretty simple. Tyler may now something that i dont but as far as me its pretty much learn as you go. Sorry i cant help you much more. Im still learning everything else too.

Back to topic though the scanguage and MPG thing will help everyone. Keep us posted and anyone else with MPG info please post to help others.

Tyler, As you cut this off and are a moderator, would you be so kind as to explain with some details what I was asking or perhaps point me to a place on this site I can read of the details? You can email me or PM me. The board is very advanced with features, from the ones I frequent, but lacks detailed descriptions on how many of these features work or perhaps they are just hidden from my searches to date???
thanks

Old 03-01-2008, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member
2nd
It's true when you see a light and want to slide in with least fuel (with eng on) coasting in neutral is 0.25gph no A/C and .4 w A/C. Lift off the gas in 5th gear and it's 0 gph till you stop. real time MPG calc goes to 9999
Does this mean it is more fuel efficient to be in gear rather than in neutral at highway speeds, when you dont need to accelerate?

Old 03-01-2008, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member
At highway speeds, assuming there is no traffic or lights, you want to preserve as much momentum as possible. Coasting in 5th scrubs off momentum through engine braking, which is a big no-no in the game of MPG. If you are watching things WAY up ahead and see traffic slowing down - that is when I would let off the gas in gear.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pastafarian
Does this mean it is more fuel efficient to be in gear rather than in neutral at highway speeds, when you dont need to accelerate?
Man I can't say for sure. I can say at slower speeds yes, and that's because the 5th gear braking is normally about right to get up to the traffic and light. I know it scrubs of speed faster than coasting but it's also with zero fuel flow.

I started building a table from 55 to 75 that will show GPH and rpm's ever 1 mph. Steady on the free-way. I plan to build that in a spread sheet and plot it to see what it looks like at that magic Vtec 3400. It's not easy down here bacause of all the traffic. Guess I could go out at 5AM and get-er done

Old 03-01-2008, 05:51 PM
That would be very interesting. ^^^

I am using just the 5th gear breaking and cutoff idea on this half tank.
but its painful not to go neutral sometimes

I am dead curious how this will turn out.
I am thinking it will probably be better to do a combo of neutral and 5th gear coasting, to achieve a good mix of momentum and cutoff.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:59 PM
5 Year Member
heres what i was think, leave it in gear, when going down a hill on the highway, or coming up to a traffic light, shift into neutral when flat, and no stops ahead.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:21 PM
The mods that are out there have only data on increased HP and none for increased MPG. You can expect a MPG gain but there is no data to prove it besides others stating their gains. Its a long shot but for me, as long as you dont gun it, i do show gains over stock. At the same time though tweaking with any car can void warranties and so fourth. Maybe a drop in K&N or maybe a tornado can help you. Those will not void warranties that i know for sure. The warranty claims are simple. The dealership has to prove that your modification was the cause for what ever malfunction occured. Its hard to do but it is still a possibility. Thats my .02 cents atleast.
As long as your 'tweak' doesn't break anything else, then only the part you replaced with an aftermarket part is not covered under warranty (see the Magnussen-Moss act).

Basically, if I put an intake on my car, and the alternator craps out, the alternator is still under warranty.

Anyway, ON TOPIC:

I'm gonna have to get me a Scangauge! I'd love to see the data that it provides, since the car is my commuter car, I'd love to see how it's doing on the fuel economy front.

Anyone have any creative ways to mount the gauge? Pics?

Old 03-02-2008, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by pastafarian

I think he means that when you're coming to a stop, and you let off the throttle, but leave the transmission in gear, the fuel is cut, because you don't need to burn fuel to keep the engine running - the transmission is turning the engine.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member
Maybe a drop in K&N or maybe a tornado can help you.
I think tornados have been disproven to increase mpg's.

Quick Reply: Scan gauge schooling