General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Driving In The Snow

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 09:36 AM
Driving In The Snow

Good Day All,

I live in northeast Pennsylvania, and am considering a FIT SPORT 5 speed. I will be using dedicated snow tires (not studded). The few comments I have read about the FIT in snow have been negative. Can those of you with experience of driving in the snow, be so kind as to comment.

Question #2 - Would the next generation FIT be any better, if the present generation is wanting.

Thank you,

Robert
(rtj525@msn.com)

Old 02-27-2008, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator
What have you read? I have a fit sport Auto and live in MN. We have had some snow not much but enough to get a idea how it does. I have the OEM tires on the car and I though it did all right, maybe little skiddish in corners but over I thought it did pretty good in the snow.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:11 AM
5 Year Member
Went through a couple snowstorms this year and didn't have any problems. I'm running Semperit speed grip snow tires, probably far from the best snow tire out there but it worked fine for me.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:24 AM
5 Year Member
for some reason mine was doing great in snow... it handle like a 4wd car which i thought it was crazy

Old 02-27-2008, 10:25 AM
Banned
The advice I've read on this site in regards to snow driving seems to have been written by 3 year olds, my Fit did awesome in the snow, the ABS peformed flawlessly, and even on the stock tires I didn't have any handling or spinning issues. For the record we had well over 12 inches of snow at a time, so I was driving through more than just a dusting

Old 02-27-2008, 10:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by yeamans17
The advice I've read on this site in regards to snow driving seems to have been written by 3 year olds, my Fit did awesome in the snow, the ABS peformed flawlessly, and even on the stock tires I didn't have any handling or spinning issues. For the record we had well over 12 inches of snow at a time, so I was driving through more than just a dusting
same thing here too...

Old 02-27-2008, 10:45 AM
5 Year Member
where you live in NEPA? I am from around there.

btw I have just some regular blizzak's with after market wheels. I did fine with what little snow we had so far.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:19 AM
5 Year Member
I have driven in several heavy storms on stock tires
and have had no problems at all... the ABS
goes off when it should... the tires spin under accel but no more than any other car i have driven... cornering wise its not AMAZING but its just fine... the Fit is no Subaru in the snow but is certainly exceeded ALL of my expectations, I thought for sure it would be a hassle in the snow but i was pleasently surpised. the only problem i have had with snow is my school plowing a snow bank over the font of my car and scratching up front lip.... assholes but hey 30 grand a year what can I expect? once done here ill make money and fix it... CF lip anyone? lol but the Fit does well in the snow from my view... last car i drove in the snow was a CRV and it was n better than the Fit and welcome to Fitfreak!

Old 02-27-2008, 11:54 AM
I have a 2008 Sport with Michelin X-Ice tires. We've had a few storms this month and the car has had no problems driving around. I have a MT. Also, the narrower the tire, the easier time the car will have going through snow.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:01 PM
I'm in the GTA, and so far this winter the Fit has been great. Since this is my first car, i can only compare it to my parent's cars (03 caravan and 96 stratus, standard transpo, nothing special) and the Fit is by far the most stable and surefooted of them all. As long as one does not drive like an idiot, the Fit is excellent. Never once stuck in 6-10" of snow, through drifts of 10-12" sometimes, always stops well, and has decent grip during acceleration. I'm on a completely stock car with the all-seasons. second gear is perfect for clawing through stuff IMHO.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:06 PM
5 Year Member
i've driven through every snowstorm we've had this year, and unfortunately, there have been a LOT here.

i'm on stock tires and like the above posters said, cornering is a little tough at times but overall i have had no problems. in fact, i was extremely surprised at how well it's done (this being my 2nd winter with it).

Old 02-27-2008, 12:11 PM
5 Year Member
if you have a good set of tires then you will be fine.
driving back and forth every day to and from CT and NY I havn't had trouble in the snow.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:48 PM
Driving in the snow...

Thank you to all who replied to my question about driving in the snow. I read a few things on the internet, but not on the FIT FORUMS.

I presently have an '03 Hyundai Elantra GT (5 speed, ABS, TCS, 95K miles) with Vredestein Snow Track 2's mounted on all wheels. The car does very well in the snow, rain & slop. I work in a hospital, so we do not close for bad weather. Call out sick on a sunny Summer day, but don't miss work on a bad weather day. I am presently getting 34+ mpg, with my weekly commute of about 400 miles (vast majority is highway/ open roads). I usually do a few mpg better in the warm weather months.

Thanks again...

Robert
rtj525@msn.com

Old 02-27-2008, 01:10 PM
5 Year Member
Ah I am in the same place. One night I got mandated at the hospital (general), cause of the ice storm a few weeks ago.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:29 PM
Driving in Snow...

Dank24,

Greetings from Mountainhome (Monroe Co., about 10 miles NE of Mount Pocono). I work in the Lehigh Valley, a 120 mile round trip, three to four times/week.

Robert

Old 02-27-2008, 01:58 PM
5 Year Member
i live in michigan and the road i live on gets plowed at about 12 noon.....so going to work always have to plow the road with my car......it does great. my parents own an 06 civic ex sedan and a 04 accord ex sedan and my car can drive circles around theres in the snow

Old 02-27-2008, 04:51 PM
NMG
I've had no problems this winter and I'm using the stock all-seasons. We've had total snow accumulations of over 7 feet this year (not all at once . . . LOL) and I haven't had a problem yet. There were a couple of VERY heavy snow days I used my truck instead of the Fit, but I think I could've still used the Fit no problem. It was one of those "I've got the 4x4 so why not use it". The stock tires are not great on ice, but I just slow down accordingly. ABS works great and the handling of the car is predictable. Next year I'll put good winter tires on and I suspect the improvements will be that much better. Overall, I have had no problem driving the Fit in true winter conditions.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:29 PM
Hi there,
I don't even have snow tires on my Fit, and in addition to that, the community I live in is really bad at clearing the roads. However, despite these things I haven't had any real problems with driving in snow. I've only been stuck once, actually, and it just took a quick shovelling to get me out. Obviously you can't go plowing into any huge snowbanks, but for normal driving, you'll be just fine. Hope this helps!

Old 02-27-2008, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
One more person here who has been very pleased with the Fit in snow. I'm in Indianapolis, and I've driven in everything from a dusting (which can be more dangerous than a lot of snow) to several inches of snow. I am running 14" steel wheels and Ice Guard IG-20s and I have to say I've been pleasantly surprised. I'm climbing hills others are spinning to get up, and I'm off the line when others are still trying to get their tires to catch.

5spd Manual, by the way.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:55 PM
i didn't have problems on snow with my oe's. a little wheel spin on ice from a stop but thats just cuz driving in boots sucks. i did switch to studs about 2 weeks after i got my fit tho, only because alaska doesn't put salt down for fear of moose licking the hiways. and like dager said, the fit seems to perform alot better as far as keeping traction while others are slipping. that could just be the person driving tho.

Quick Reply: Driving In The Snow