General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

HONDA Fit Reliability Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 12:12 PM
5 Year Member
HONDA Fit Reliability Issues

I've been scrolling through the boards here looking for some really big issues with the HONDA Fit. There's really nothing... I know that there's the following issues: But nothing BIG...
  1. Odometer issues (resolved by HONDA extending the warranty)
  2. Bumper Paint Peeling (resolved by adding spacers)
The only thing that scares me about the FIT is the cramped space in the engine bay. I can see that this will be a headache when it comes to doing a timing belt...

Old 03-08-2008, 12:27 PM
5 Year Member
the honda fit doesn't have a timing belt

Old 03-08-2008, 01:11 PM
Banned
Yep for sure the Jazz/Fit has a timing CHAIN that has a NO REPLACEMENT maintenance schedule. OOPPPS

Old 03-08-2008, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the Correction

Originally Posted by solbrothers
the honda fit doesn't have a timing belt
Thanks....That's one less thing to worry about!

Old 03-09-2008, 09:21 PM
when you order your car. Print out all those pages from the peeling bumper thread, show your salesman, and tell em that you don't want the car until you see them add the spacers.

be a dick if needed. we got free all season floor mats because we were. lol

Old 03-09-2008, 09:33 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
The odometer thing was only on early Fits I thought? And the bumper pealing problem is not a big issue. Its a minor problem thats barely noticeable.

The only REAL problem I see if some get bad gas mileage, EPS (Electric Power Steering) problem. The pump seems to go out a little early. Theres a TSB on it so that shouldnt be a problem. And the clutches go out really early on the cars.

The clutch looks like an hour job to me.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:41 AM
The only problem I have with the car you may need to worry about is that the maual says it has trouble staring in the cold, but it just won't start at all some days. I HATE that problem here in Canada. I love the car, but I'm thinking I may get rid of it since I keep missing classes or being late for them by having to bus instead.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:46 AM
bumper spacers?

Old 03-10-2008, 10:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fittastic
The only problem I have with the car you may need to worry about is that the maual says it has trouble staring in the cold, but it just won't start at all some days. I HATE that problem here in Canada. I love the car, but I'm thinking I may get rid of it since I keep missing classes or being late for them by having to bus instead.
Wow! How cold are we talking?

We've had some pretty mild winters lately...I have never had issues, but I'd bet the coldest start I had was zero farenheit, which you probably consider a somewhat balmy day!

Old 03-10-2008, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by Fittastic
Really? Maybe get this looked at.

I'm in Wininpeg where we have many many -40 days (-40 Celsius = -40 Fahrenheit). My fit is about 1.5 yrs old, has always started for me.

Have you tried plugging it in as well?

Old 03-10-2008, 10:41 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
DONT FORGET THE MAJOR PROBLEM THAT EVERYONE HAS WITH DASH RATTLES!!!!! but it was never a warranty issue, just a major annoyance for some of us.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:51 PM
How bad is the clutch issue on these cars? I have been reading over the problems and such that have been posted in the past and don't remember seeing this. About how long will a clutch last? And about what is the cost to get one replaced? I am considering a Fit and put about 20,000 miles on a year, although that may be decreasing heavily, and this would be a maintenance issue which I would have to factor into my decision.

Thanks

Old 03-10-2008, 11:03 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kelsodeez
DONT FORGET THE MAJOR PROBLEM THAT EVERYONE HAS WITH DASH RATTLES!!!!! but it was never a warranty issue, just a major annoyance for some of us.
ok nm. thats not really a reliability issue.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:34 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xanatos
Really? Maybe get this looked at.

I'm in Wininpeg where we have many many -40 days (-40 Celsius = -40 Fahrenheit). My fit is about 1.5 yrs old, has always started for me.

Have you tried plugging it in as well?
Agreed, the odd time I have left my car out in -40ish weather I haven't had any issues starting it. That tiny little engine turns over no problem Just have to make sure your battery is up to the task!

Old 03-10-2008, 11:40 PM
nevermind

Last edited by Darkstars; 03-10-2008 at 11:51 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:57 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dank29356
How bad is the clutch issue on these cars? I have been reading over the problems and such that have been posted in the past and don't remember seeing this. About how long will a clutch last? And about what is the cost to get one replaced? I am considering a Fit and put about 20,000 miles on a year, although that may be decreasing heavily, and this would be a maintenance issue which I would have to factor into my decision.

Thanks
i have over 25k on mine and the clutch is still good. i'd like to hear about the clutch problem some people are having too.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:35 AM
Electronic Power Steering

Who all has a problem with this. I have a Fit Sport and on some mornings, the car will turn over, but I will get the Steering wheel symbol with the !!! in it. The steering wheel is extremely hard to turn. I usually have to restart the car a few times to get it working again.

I read that there is a TSB for the Electronic Power Steering, but I can not find it. Would someone be so gracious as to post the TSB for this issue.

I did do the search, but I could not find what I was looking for.

Thanks

Jay

Old 03-11-2008, 07:55 AM
Our Fit is parked outside in Calgary and we hit -50 deg C this winter with wc. No hesitation to turn over at all and start.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
I just passed 55k and my clutch seems just fine...

Old 03-11-2008, 01:41 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by dank29356

Thanks
This is how INTERNET MYTHS GET STARTED there IS NO CLUTCH PROBLEM. I have been here reading posts for over two years and there were probably 3 people that changed their clutch and they were changed to high performance ones or in only one case Slippage DUE TO MANY MANY HIGH RPM STARTS. I have never heard of anyone replacing their USDM clutch due to NORMAL wear yet.

So any of you guys that changed your clutch or are having REAL clutch problems not driver error engagement bitches but real mechanical problems caused by the clutch parts themselves please post here so we can count you up and stop this nonsense in it's tracks.

Quick Reply: HONDA Fit Reliability Issues