General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Power Steering Went Out At 12,000 Miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 10:12 PM
5 Year Member
Power Steering Went Out At 12,000 Miles

Hello all, well, about a week ago, we started the Fit, and the Electronic Power Steering (EPS) Light wouldnt shut off, and while it was on there was no power steering. The manual says to shut the car off, and restart it, and all will be fine. So we did that, and everything ent back to working.

Then about three days later, The EPS light did the same thing when we started the car. Well, my girlfriend couldnt make her commute to the dealer with no power steering, so she was forced to shut the car off, thus resetting the error. The dealer had the car for half of a day, and couldnt get the car to duplicate the issue.

Finally, just yesterday, it did it again, so she took it to the dealer, manual steering and all, after cecking it out, and running the code, they came up with a resolution.

It threw error code 32-09 - Recommend replacing the eps unit. So they ordered in a new unit, hopefully it ill be on this week. the service advisor told me that this is a very common problem in Elements, but had not heard of anything like this with the Fit.

Has anyone else experienced an issue like this? or know if any other hondas also have this issue? We will keep everyone up to date on the status.

Dustin

Old 04-23-2008, 07:54 PM
i thought i was the only having this problem!! mine went out at 40,000 miles, sucks no more warranty!! happens every cold start, usually in the mornings... its still not fixed cause dealership clouldnt duplicate the problem............HOW MUCH IS THE EPS UNIT??? im afraid its gonna be coming out of my pocket...is there anyway I can get around this??

Last edited by looney_yang; 04-23-2008 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:33 PM
i just researched a bit and the EPS UNIT is $$895 ??? i feel bad for all fit owners cause its a serious issue later down the road, usually after the warranty is over.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:48 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
ahh now i am paranoid,

Old 04-24-2008, 03:59 AM
5 Year Member
wow that doesnt sound too good

what year is your Fit?

Old 04-24-2008, 07:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by looney_yang
i thought i was the only having this problem!! mine went out at 40,000 miles, sucks no more warranty!! happens every cold start, usually in the mornings... its still not fixed cause dealership clouldnt duplicate the problem............HOW MUCH IS THE EPS UNIT??? im afraid its gonna be coming out of my pocket...is there anyway I can get around this??
Bring it to your dealers attention and I am sure they'll try to get American Honda to replace it as a goodwill gesture.

If that's a no-go, call American Honda and explain your situation.

Usually when they know something is an issue, they'll make good on it. I really wouldn't want people out there saying that their new Honda was only good for 40k before a major issue came along.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by rjm161
Bring it to your dealers attention and I am sure they'll try to get American Honda to replace it as a goodwill gesture.

If that's a no-go, call American Honda and explain your situation.

Usually when they know something is an issue, they'll make good on it. I really wouldn't want people out there saying that their new Honda was only good for 40k before a major issue came along.

hey thanks, i'll try that and keep you guys updated..

Old 04-24-2008, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by suketoborudo00
wow that doesnt sound too good

what year is your Fit?

mines an 07

Old 04-24-2008, 08:26 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
Originally Posted by rjm161
I really wouldn't want people out there saying that their new Honda was only good for 40k before a major issue came along.
exactly!
these are the cars that should hold strong till 200k!!!

Old 04-24-2008, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
Ours is also an 07, we still havent heard anything about parts arriving yet, so hopefully they will come in early next week.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:13 AM
My EPS dies on startup too. This problem has been happening since last year and usually occurs when the weather is cold. dcmcelreath, what's the temperature like in New Mexico at this time of year?

The most frustrating part about this problem is that it's so intermittent. I have a camera ready, so next time it happens, I can get some video evidence and go straight to the dealer.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:19 AM
5 Year Member
i have 15567 miles on mines so far no problem but rattles on the passenger side... as for power steering not yet

Old 04-25-2008, 07:10 AM
5 Year Member
It actually started after spring hit. But it is doing it only when the car is completely cooled down, twice it has done it at around 32 degrees, once it actually did it at lunch time when it was near 60, but again, the car was cooled down. Sounds like this might be more widespred than I thought.....

Old 04-30-2008, 04:17 PM
Update on my problem:

The EPS on my car hasn't died over the past week. The temperature is hovering around 5-10 degrees Celsius so the issue with the EPS dying at startup may or may not have to do with temperature. I noticed that if I take my time to warm the car, it seems like the problem does not occur... very weird.

dcmcelreath, please let me know how your repairs go. Good luck!

Old 04-30-2008, 09:40 PM
5 Year Member
Hello everyone, here is a little update. We picked up the car yesterday afternoon after everything was done. All is well so far, but again, this problem is so sporadic that it could still be an issue on Saturday.

We will definitely repost if we find anymore issues.

Has anyone else had any more issues to speak of?

Dustin

Old 04-30-2008, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member
something like teh EPS unit going out is just a speedbump, other cars have MUCH bigger issues

Old 04-30-2008, 10:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
something like teh EPS unit going out is just a speedbump, other cars have MUCH bigger issues
Other cars having bigger issues isnt the point. The fact is, it is a brand new car, and isnt functioning properly. If you buy a TV, and it has just a minor glitch, are you gonna say that the sanyo has much bigger problems than the sharp, and not return it? That is dumb. When something is brand new, it should work as such.

If I want a car with no power steering, I will buy a 78 ford bronco and cruise it around.

Comments like that aggrivate me, I didnt buy a cobalt, because they are pieces of crap, we got a Honda because they shouldnt be. So if they did something wrong, they are liable to fix it, and they did.

So should we have not done anything, and drive around with no power steering and not use the warranty that honda gave us? That doesnt make any sense. I guess everyone should save money, and buy cars with no warranty, and hen something goes wrong, dont bother fixing it, because my buddies 1992 Cavalier has MUCH bigger issues, and my water pump going out is just a speedbump.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:31 PM
5 Year Member
my PS hasnt gone out yet, but it definately doesnt feel as smooth as when i first got it. hmmmm hopefully this issue can be resolved soon.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dcmcelreath
Other cars having bigger issues isnt the point. The fact is, it is a brand new car, and isnt functioning properly. If you buy a TV, and it has just a minor glitch, are you gonna say that the sanyo has much bigger problems than the sharp, and not return it? That is dumb. When something is brand new, it should work as such.

If I want a car with no power steering, I will buy a 78 ford bronco and cruise it around.

Comments like that aggrivate me, I didnt buy a cobalt, because they are pieces of crap, we got a Honda because they shouldnt be. So if they did something wrong, they are liable to fix it, and they did.

So should we have not done anything, and drive around with no power steering and not use the warranty that honda gave us? That doesnt make any sense. I guess everyone should save money, and buy cars with no warranty, and hen something goes wrong, dont bother fixing it, because my buddies 1992 Cavalier has MUCH bigger issues, and my water pump going out is just a speedbump.
tell me how you really feel

Old 05-04-2008, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
I will avoid this issue by never making turns from this day forward!

Quick Reply: Power Steering Went Out At 12,000 Miles