General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Shifting into 1st gear (maunual trans only)

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 03:32 PM
Shifting into 1st gear (maunual trans only)

My Fit has one problem that annoys the heck out of me. Sometimes, especially after I've been sitting at a red light in neutral with clutch out, I'm unable to get the shifter to go into 1st gear, even with a lot of force on it. I've found that if I put it into 2ng gear first, then it will go into 1st gear no problem. This is an inconsistent problem; at first I thought it just happened in cold weather, but it sometimes happens in warm weather too. Has anyone else experienced this problem or have any suggestions about how to fix it? Could there be something in the shift linkage that needs to be adjusted? Also, sorry if this issue has already been discussed here; I searched and was not able to find the information I was looking for.

Old 05-30-2008, 03:44 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
dont force your shifter into the gate.

when approaching your stop just shift the lever into 1st while you
come to a complete stop. that allows the collar to align itself. dont
roll the car and just place in N.

Old 05-30-2008, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the advice. I often do exactly this, but some of the stop lights around here, you're sitting there for at least 2 minutes. After a while your leg can get tired! Does your car have this issue shifting into 1st as well?

Old 05-30-2008, 04:44 PM
I think once you're stopped, you should be able to put your car in neutral and let out the clutch with no issue getting it back in.... assuming you had it in first gear to begin with. i.e. did not coast up to the light in neutral.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:02 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
Originally Posted by DVFlyer
I think once you're stopped, you should be able to put your car in neutral and let out the clutch with no issue getting it back in.... assuming you had it in first gear to begin with. i.e. did not coast up to the light in neutral.
oh okay good.
cause that would suck to have to sit for minutes with the clutch in and everything.

+rep

Old 05-30-2008, 05:45 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ClaytonS15
Thanks for the advice. I often do exactly this, but some of the stop lights around here, you're sitting there for at least 2 minutes. After a while your leg can get tired! Does your car have this issue shifting into 1st as well?
nono, clutch out into N after you stop. the collar inside the gearbox
will not spin. just roll to a stop and while the car is still barely in motion,
clutch-in, slide the shifter into 1st, then stop. then shift to N, clutch-out.
wait for the light.

don't sit there with your clutch pedal pressed as it wears
out the throwout bearing.

MT cars will do this on occasion. my G35C does, my Cooper-S does,
so did my WRX, etc. etc.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:31 AM
i engine brake and down shift throu the gears to first when i stop. once i'm stopped i'm a bit OCD and keep flicking the shifter between 1st and 2nd half the time i don't even know i'm doing it(should probly stop it). i watch the lights and when i know its close to green i just shuv it back in first and go. never really have an issue getting it to go back into first.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:41 AM
Yep, you want to put the car in neutral at the stoplights and take your foot OFF the clutch. Keeping your foot on the clutch causes extra wear on the throwout bearing IIRC. That is how I was taught. I usually coast up the light in neutral and don't step on the clutch until it is time to switch gears and go.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:41 AM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
Originally Posted by Maximuz
i engine brake and down shift throu the gears to first when i stop. once i'm stopped i'm a bit OCD and keep flicking the shifter between 1st and 2nd half the time i don't even know i'm doing it(should probly stop it). i watch the lights and when i know its close to green i just shuv it back in first and go. never really have an issue getting it to go back into first.
weird!
i've never "flicked" from 1st to 2nd, but i always go in i guess N just left and right.
i don't know,
it like lets me know what gear to put it in.
it's weird

Old 05-31-2008, 01:26 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
I always go into neutral as I'm coming to a stop, then go into first as the light is about to change, seems to work..

Old 05-31-2008, 02:43 AM
Banned
That is because the syncros are not "lined up" after spinning in neutral. Simply when you get ready to put it into gear push in the clutch and slide it into second gear without letting out the clutch before attempting to put it in first and you will find it slides into first very easily.

Old 05-31-2008, 04:20 AM
5 Year Member
My Z4 does this for 1st gear too. I tap the throttle and then generally it works. I will try the 2nd gear trick. Of course, I've started shifting into 1st before stopping recently, that seems to work too.

Old 05-31-2008, 01:11 PM
I <3 SPOON
5 Year Member
it's the synchros

my s2000 did the same thing sometimes.

what i usually do is rev match or heel toe to 2nd and then just coast in neutral while braking to stop.

Revving a bit before putting in 1st or putting in 2nd then 1st works too which was mentioned in previous posts.

it's nothing to worry about it's just how the tranny works

-Ricky

Old 06-04-2008, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by Maximuz
i engine brake and down shift throu the gears to first when i stop.

I hope you like mechanics because they love your synchros

Originally Posted by kenchan
nono, clutch out into N after you stop. the collar inside the gearbox
will not spin. just roll to a stop and while the car is still barely in motion,
clutch-in, slide the shifter into 1st, then stop. then shift to N, clutch-out.
wait for the light.

don't sit there with your clutch pedal pressed as it wears
out the throwout bearing.

MT cars will do this on occasion. my G35C does, my Cooper-S does,
so did my WRX, etc. etc.
^^^ Yea what he said.

It happens in my Si too if i hold the clutch in for too long and the gears line up wrong so it wont go into 1st. Either go to neutral and blip the clutch back off and on or just go to 2nd and back to 1st, either works fine.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:21 AM
5 Year Member
Ok so I hate to revive this super old thread but I've had this exact same issue. My GD sport has been hard to put into first to the point drivers have honked at me for not taking off! I did do a mtf flush recently and I followed all the procedures, had the car level and used Honda brand MTF. I got a little under 1 1/2 bottles worth (each bottle is a quart or a litre I believe). Would using the amsoil help in this regard? It seems the stick isn't as smooth as even a month ago.

Thanks.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
...from 1965 to 1975, I drove a car w/o a 1st gear synchro...

MTLian, perhaps your synchros are starting to go. If so, just do as the above posters suggest, "toggle" between 2nd and 1st. For 10 years, I drove a 1965 MG Midget. Those cars shipped brand new without a synchro in first gear. I rarely had a problem finding 1st by using the 2nd gear to 1st gear "shuffle."

Old 01-31-2013, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by macbuddy
"toggle" between 2nd and 1st.
^This right here, I do this now sometimes and don't ever really have a problem going into 1st.

Same thing goes for reverse, but use 4th to reverse... engage syncro'd gear before non-syncro'd gear, doesn't matter which one but 4th or 3rd would be the most logical.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:41 PM
More of the same issues

Yup, totally know I'm posting on a dead thread but I didn't see anything more recent. Have my own Fit transmission issue to share.

2008 Fit Sport, 5-speed Manual
60k miles - Transmission difficult to shift into gear 1-4 (feels like syncro issue), just prior to 2nd fluid change. Drain and refill with Honda MTF resolved issue nicely.

82k miles - Transmission issue returns. Drain and refill w/ Honda MTF. Slight improvement. Adjust clutch engagement and pedal height (mostly improved). Bleed clutch w/pump and full fluid replace (issue almost gone) but shift gates small and sometimes seem nonexistent.

Will update as the problem becomes more severe. I'm leaning towards early clutch wearout, though it could also be syncro gears or possibly shift linkage.

I'd welcome any thoughts or insight.

Jon

Old 03-24-2016, 07:17 AM
5 Year Member
Just found this thread and am having the same issues. I bought my 07 sport with 42k miles and just now at 50000 exactly on my way home last night it started getting very difficult to get into any gear. From a stop I have to really force it into 1st. I have tried 2nd then first but just the same force needed to get into 2nd, but 1 sometimes get easier. It doesnt grind, just feels very tight.
My clutch slave cylinder fluid was just above the low mark. Im thinking its the clutch master cylinder.

Old 03-24-2016, 12:05 PM
5 Year Member
Master is then with the reservoir under the hood, slave is the one thats on the transmission,,, Just in case your explaining t on the phone..

Quick Reply: Shifting into 1st gear (maunual trans only)