General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

My first Honda. My first bad car purchase

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 01:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
Never buy a car made outside of its homeland..

US built german cars suck.
US built Japanese cars suck.
German cars built anywhere but germany,,,, suck.

Just say no to CVT transmissions..
My 1991 Accord, assembled in Marysville, Ohio, US, is the most durable tank of a car that I've ever owned, or can imagine owning in the future. Don't know about CVT. All my cars for the last 35 years have manual tranny.

Last edited by know-nothin; 05-17-2016 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:48 AM
5 Year Member
Catching up on this old thread...interesting to read the rant though it doesn't affect my affection for my Fit. He's right about the paint, definitely. I live near the ocean and there's tons of tiny nicks developing spreading rust spots...ugh...

Old 10-08-2016, 11:07 AM
5 Year Member
Oooook

Old 02-24-2017, 11:40 AM
My take on my 2015 Fit

To make it clear from the outset, I have a 2015 Fit LX trim. No options. Currently 52500 km (little over 30k miles)

Before purchasing Fit, test drove and evaluated Nissan Micra, Nissan Versa Note, Chevy Sonic, Ford Fiesta, Ford Focus, Kia Rio, Hyundai Elantra, Hyundai Accent, Mazda 2, Toyota Yaris, Toyota Prius, Scion iM, and Fiat 500.

Nissan Versa Note was close second choice.

Major considerations included use of interior space, rear leg room, handling and performance, likely long term durability and resale value. Salesmans' arguments and pitch was unimportant.

To give you some more frame of reference:
Previous cars/km I drove: Volvo C30 T5/90k, Mini Cooper S/178k, Infiniti I30t/34k, BMW 535i/158k (All were purchased used 2-5 years old with 35-85k km)

My experience with the 2015 Honda Fit:
Average fuel economy over the life so far: 6.4 l/100km (about 37 miles/ US gallon)

Location: Ottawa Ontario Canada. Definitely subject to a true winter.

Modifications: HID headlights, DRL fuse pulled, 6" COB LED DRLs, additional 6" COB LEDs added to reverse lights

Factory supplied Firestone tires replaced with Michelin X-Ice winter tires on factory steel wheels. Alloy wheels with Pirelli P4 all seasons for summer use.

So what do I think about the Fit?

It was by far the best overall package of compromises when compared with the other vehicles I considered but it is not without flaws.

It is in my opinion ugly. Someone once said that he always ate in the restaurant at the foot of the Eiffel Tower because it was the only place in Paris where he couldn't see the damn thing. At least when I am driving, i can't see how ugly the Fit is.

The handling of the Fit is rather typical of vehicles of its size. Some have said handling deteriorates when loaded with 3-4 adults. I agree. 700 lbs is pushing it. Acceleration suffers with just 2 average adults on board.

There are blind spots due to the A-pillars that are very noticeable at 4 way stops.

The engine does strike me as being asthmatic. At highway speeds, it is rather buzzy and sometimes scares me to pass on single lane highways. Acceleration for passing at 90kph (55mph) requires careful judgement of space available.

The 6 speed manual transmission gear ratios fail miserably at any kind of spirited driving. It sure as hell isn't a Mini Cooper for the fun factor. If driven like a Mini, it surely gets terrible fuel economy.

The equipment and standard features overall is pretty good. One thing missing that I can't understand at all is the lack of an outside temperature display. This is just a stupid choice on the part of Honda. When temperatures are hovering near the freezing point, outside temperatures provide a heads up to possible road icing.

The most serious flaw in the Honda Fit is the Display Audio system. The user interface is terrible. Screen layouts and the lack of the simplest of controls like volume makes for serious distraction. I have written quite bit about the shortcomings with this system and Honda's intransigence. This unit is also used in Civic, HRV and other models. In some of those models, Honda has included support for CarPlay.

Unlike Hyundai and Kia, who provide firmware and software updates to their audio systems to support CarPlay and AndroidAuto to their cars going back to 2012-3, Honda will not provide such firmware updates. This factor makes it highly unlikely that I will ever again buy a Honda. CarPlay for me is a deal breaker.

HondaLink SUCKS.
While Siri Eyes Free provides some mitigation, there is no effing way I will pay $60 US to use their HondaLink navigation maps with MY data plan - especially when I have to buy three cables and have a stupid bunch of wires from my iPhone to the dash.

Other stuff?
Paint seems to be OK.
Tire wear OK.
A/C a little weak.
Heating when very cold (-20C) very poor.
Traction in snow average. (Use real snow tires not all season garbage)
Back up camera gets very dirty when roads are wet or snowy. (VW does it better. Camera hides behind the logo that flips up when in use)

We will need to replace my wife's Pontiac G5. Not likely to seriously consider a Honda. Will look for a used 4 door something or other. Subaru? Toyota? Nissan?

Old 02-24-2017, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by Medelegant
....One thing missing that I can't understand at all is the lack of an outside temperature display. This is just a stupid choice on the part of Honda. When temperatures are hovering near the freezing point, outside temperatures provide a heads up to possible road icing.....

My EX does. Which model trim is yours?

Old 02-24-2017, 11:04 PM
everything he says about the Fit is accurate. Although I love my 2008 MT fit, I hate how it handles on the highway, hate the lousy mileage in the city, hate the lack of a nice long gear for cruising speeds, hate the absence of interior map lights of any sort, and hate the seats. My previous car, 2007 Mazda3, was a superior car in every way, except I was sick and tired of replacing struts on it. The Mazda handled the highway like a dream. Still I love my fit, because it requires such *babying*. I love my baby.

Last edited by radioarno; 02-27-2017 at 12:59 AM.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:26 PM
5 Year Member
Hmmmmm....perhaps Canadian LXs are different from US LXs??? Dunno. My '15 LX has no touchscreen BS (just knobs and buttons), and does have an outside temp display. It's plenty quick enough to be a lot of fun (install a Progress rear anti-sway bar )......true, 4000 rpm@80mph is a lil droning, but, on the roadtirps we've taken (roundtrip from Knoxville to Detroit, and from Knoxville to Orange Beach Alabama), I easily get well over 41 mpg. driving 70 - 80 a large part of thde way with AC on...

Old 03-14-2017, 05:59 PM
I love mine

I had. BMW Z4 and then a Mini base model which was fun , I just didn't like the big Bills I was going to be paying for maintenance. The 2012 fit I own is a manual and was made in Japan. As I said I love it, it like a friend you can count on. Fun to drive around town.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:42 PM
MINI Cooper? Hell Yeah!

Originally Posted by Tennmoto1
I had. BMW Z4 and then a Mini base model which was fun , I just didn't like the big Bills I was going to be paying for maintenance. The 2012 fit I own is a manual and was made in Japan. As I said I love it, it like a friend you can count on. Fun to drive around town.
If I could find a good deal (let someone else take the depreciation) on a 2-3 year old MINI, especially an "S", I'd jump on it. A Mini Cooper S is a driver's car. While a Honda Fit is fine for getting from point "A" to point "B", with a MINI it's more a matter of getting from point "A" to screw point "B" and let's keep on driving.

Expensive to maintain? Perhaps. But I suspect (know actually) that I definitely push and drive a Mini much harder than a sedate little Honda econobox Fit. Rarely less than 3/4 throttle and always going into corners faster and coming out harder.

A Fit is basic, bean counter, accountants' transportation. A Mini, quite simply, is a gocart-like enthusiast's blast.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Medelegant
Expensive to maintain? Perhaps. But I suspect (know actually) that I definitely push and drive a Mini much harder than a sedate little Honda econobox Fit. Rarely less than 3/4 throttle and always going into corners faster and coming out harder.
I own a 2013 WRX along with my misFit. I rationalized my Fit purchase based on if I wanted a fun, fast car I could always drive my WRX. It's a pain I feel every day when I drive my Fit to work. While I'm not a Mini fan I do understand your comparison

A Fit is basic, bean counter, accountants' transportation. A Mini, quite simply, is a gocart-like enthusiast's blast.
Yes, all one needs to do is look at the fuel millage threads, wiper blade, how many miles will these sets of tires last or whatever other prosaic topics to realize who the car is primarily bought by.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member
2015 Manual Transmission issues

Does anyone have issues with their 6MT?

I am taking it in this Friday, I have already had the axle replaced, and now the upshift from 2nd to 3rd makes a lot of grinding noises from time to time.

Not too happy with my Fit, especially bought the 6MT for fun, a bit more oomph, and a good driving experience.

It's not that way. Unfortunately, maybe I will get myself into a Hyundai or something like that. My luck with Honda's especially their transmissions has not been good to me.

Old 03-17-2017, 12:25 AM
5 Year Member
My '15 6 spd, 50,000 miles, shifts perfectly.....they could've spaced the gear ratios a lil better, but....mine is flawless in terms of physical operation...I'll keep this car for a very long time, as it serves it's purpose well, and the chances will be slimmer or even none in the future to get a manual, at least in the US....**** the autonomous automobile future

Old 07-20-2017, 04:40 PM
Old thread but with this newest generation of Fit has it solved any of OP's initial complaints in his first post from 2008?

Old 02-19-2018, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by feddup
Sell it! I love the Fit. I read your "review" word for word and either you got a lemon or you're sporting the worst anti Honda bias I've ever heard of. Why did you buy a Honda? You must have gotten a completely different Fit than I did. Mine, while not being perfect, is well rounded, behaves impeccably, handles superbly, rides well and gets excellent mileage in a variety of circumstances. We apparently have completely different cars.
Here! Here! If you complain this much about something they should sell. My 2007 Honda Fit Sport is 11 years old 249,000 miles on it. Yes it has problems I almost had to have it towed today. But I got her to run after an hour rest. I will be checking into what could be her problem. But this Honda has been my best out of all the cars I have owned by far.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:41 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Pumpkintacos
Old thread but with this newest generation of Fit has it solved any of OP's initial complaints in his first post from 2008?
im just going to say YES cause it's a frikken novel in tiny text and dont feel like reading other people's problems in fine print. hahaha

if your car has no warranty related problems as mine, then the GK is a much better car than the GD and GE in multiple levels. i speak from experience. but unfortunately my GK is a pos due to multiple quality issues.

Old 09-26-2018, 01:44 AM
I purchased the newest Jazz (Fit) 2 months ago and I agree that the stock suspensions suck. The car dived when braking and swayed like a bad dancer. I installed Japanese after market lowered springs and problems solved. Now the car handles quite decent and looks cooler as well.

Old 02-25-2019, 12:54 PM
Love my FIT

I got a 2015 (in '17) EX w/MT. I guess Honda fixed all of those problems. LOVE MY FIT

Old 02-25-2019, 04:06 PM
5 Year Member
I never got my 6MT totally fixed the master mechanic said yes they tend to be clunky. Yes Honda improved things if you do research. Is the 6MT kind of a doggy MT, well that's purely a subjective comment, it hasn't left me stranded.

40K miles , just the bad axle so far.

Old 03-20-2019, 04:31 PM
5 Year Member
If I had the money, I'd buy you a Rolls Royce, and your list of complaints would be just as long. We have two Fits in the family, a 2015 and a 2019. Physical/mechanical problems with our two 2015 models annoyed me, and I'm hoping the 2019 is more trouble-free. They cruise easily, are reasonably quiet, can carry bulky items, and they get good gas mileage. As for difficulty driving in the wind, I don't see it. The Nissan Cube I had was a joke in the wind.

Old 01-21-2020, 03:16 AM
5 Year Member
My ex had a 2007 Sport that she traded off. I missed that car. In 185,000+ miles, it had a stumble from the dealership that threw a code. Apparently moisture from the ship ride over got under a couple coil boots. A cleaning had it running right. A speedometer recall was done, and coils were replaced at 95k miles or so. By the time we traded it, the rear hatch seals had failed and it started getting water pooling in the spare tire well. The AC button wouldn't stay depressed...and we never fixed that. A piece of cardboard wedged under it worked. All the scheduled maintenance was done as required...although I also did the manual trans fluid at 100K...as it got a little notchy at around that time.

Mods were a K&N filter, Eibach lowering springs, and a wheel/tire package. The tires were 205 16's and rubbed a little on full compression. The springs were a 1.8" drop and a bit too much. The FIL slammed the car into a speed bump and the car had a front end creak for ever after.

Standard the car was a little firm. Lowered it was harsh and bottomed a little too easily. It was fun, sporty, had plenty of space, and got decent fuel mileage (low in the 28's, high in the mid 30's). No real complaints other than the little bit that I ruined it with big tires and too much drop.

I've been driving a 2010 base as a daily for a few thousand miles, now and it's my first car on the road after decades of motorcycle use. I've driven plenty of cars...just none of them were my own. The suspension is more compliant though the chassis is noticeably stiffer...particularly in the front end. The first gen had a monkey motion that could be felt up front when pushed moderately hard. This one has none of that. It also has more cargo room, looks better, has a nicer Interior, and the fuel mileage has been pretty consistent at roughly 32MPG with mixed driving through hilly terrain and some spirited starts thrown in there.

It has a more conservative drop with more conservative tires which has only enhanced the ride. With 70k on the odometer it needed a blower motor and the HVAC knob has a light that only works if you smack it. I told the girlfriend that it would get supercharged over the 100k service. I don't think shs was really listening. It's a really basic car...kind of a throw back. I have little complaints...though I wouldn't mind mo powah, baby.

The other car in consideration was a current gen four door Mini Cooper S. It has eighty more horsepower, peak torque comes in quite low, the interior is really nice, and the ride quality is better. It has a more refined and composed road feel, though pays a hefty weight penalty. Despite similar exterior dimensions they weight roughly five hundred pounds more than the Fit. The cabin is a lot more cosy...some would say cramped...but we're all small in my family so all that extra cabin space in the Fit doesn't count for much. I don't know how anyone could complain. The Fit literally has as much interior room as a typical compact SUV. The Minis sell cheap as a used car for a reason...long term ownership can get expensive, insurance is relatively high, and they're known for becoming rattle traps pretty early on in their lives.

My only complaints with my current Fit is some rattles in the cabin (only after a spring install, mind you). I just had the passenger airbag recall done, and found out that the right rear wheel is 0.01 degrees out of factory spec for toe angle. That's a bit disappointing, but who knows if it is a factory flaw or a problem caused by a previous owner.

I find the car extremely fun and engaging to drive, the fuel mileage is decent, and the ride...though a little rowdy and unrefined...really suits the character of the car and makes for a connected feel in the feedback that is received.

It's the right car for me at this point and really suits my purposes. I'm really not sure if I'll hold onto it or trade up for a Mini some day. It really comes down to buying a more powerful car or making one out of the Fit.

The Fit hustles around a corner pretty well. While a fancier car will do so with more composure, I'm not sure it would be as much fun.

For people like the OP, if there was a car that really worked for you...may as well stick with it.
​​​