General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

my fit and i hit a dog on the way to work

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 03:18 PM
my fit and i hit a dog on the way to work

well, i was driving to work going about 45 mph looking straight ahead when all of the sudden this small black dog is running in front of my fit. i didn't even see it coming and i didn't even have a chance to brake before i hit the poor doggy. so when impact happened i was like wtf! + omGZ!. so right after i looked in my passenger side mirror and i see the poor dog rolling and tumbling against the concrete and i pull into a parking lot but i can't see the dog anywhere on the street. i'm thinking there is no way the dog just got up and walked away after that impact. so i call my dad to ask him wtf i should do and i'm hysterical and crying. so he tells me to get out and check my car to see if it's ok and also to look for the dog. i get out and look at my car and everything appears to be ok, but honestly i was more concerned about the dog at that point. so i got back in my car and drove around to try to see if the dog was anywhere and i see this truck that's stopped in the road and i see a little black lump on the side of the road. so i pull over again and get out of my car and i'm crying and saying i didn't even see the dog coming and i asked the guy if the dog was ok, but..unfortunately the dog did not make it. i'm pretty sure he was dead on impact. i must have broken his neck or something. there was no blood on my car or on the asphalt around the dog. but really, i was a mess and i felt so bad. the guy that stopped was the pool guy of the dog's owners, and he said that he was opening the gate to get into the people's backyard and the dog bolted out and started running. so he had been driving around trying to find the dog, but i guess it was too late because the dog got to the busy street that i was on. but it trips me out because the dog got passed 3 lanes of traffic, and in the last lane i'm the one who had to have hit him i'm pretty sure the pool guy felt just as bad as i did because it was his fault the dog got out. oh god but it was horrible. so the guy said he had already called animal control and the dog's owners and told them. he was trying to make me feel better by telling me it's not your fault, it's ok, etc. and random people that were walking on the street were telling me it happens to the best of us and atleast you pulled over because some people wouldn't. but i still feel horrible as hell for killing that poor DOG. my aunt said she was surprised my little car killed the dog. FIT is hardcore. anyway, i'm pretty sure the dog just hit where my license plate frame is because it's bent a little, but there is no body damage or anything. i'm so lucky for that, but unfortunately the dog wasn't so lucky. i'm not sure why didn't see the dog coming. i've seen dogs running across the street before and always stopped in time. it pretty much sucked. anyway, here's some pictures of the crooked plastic license plate mount.

you can barely tell in the pictures, but the frame usually touches the body of the car and now it's bent a little forward, not that BIG of a deal, but still looking to tweak it back.

i'm thankful that everything else was ok. i think if the dog didn't hit right in front on the license plate that i probably would have had some other damage.
does anyone know where i can buy a new one of the license plate mounts that is attached to the underside of the car or do you think it will just bend back into place?

R.I.P doggy (x_x)

Last edited by a fit called umeko; 07-01-2008 at 03:20 PM.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
=[ i love dogs and man that sucks. RIP to the dog and atleast you and your car are not to damaged. hope all goes well

Old 07-01-2008, 03:43 PM
I <3 SPOON
5 Year Member
wow i knew the Fit could be a track killer

but now a dog killer?

sucks though...what kinda dog was it?
i wouldn't want to run over a dog

i hit a bird 2 weeks ago though, it just landed in the street right as i was driving thru
and then BOOM and i saw a huge explosion of feathers when i looked in my rearview mirror.

-Ricky

Old 07-01-2008, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by GD3-Fit
wow i knew the Fit could be a track killer

but now a dog killer?

sucks though...what kinda dog was it?
i wouldn't want to run over a dog

i hit a bird 2 weeks ago though, it just landed in the street right as i was driving thru
and then BOOM and i saw a huge explosion of feathers when i looked in my rearview mirror.

-Ricky
dog killa! you know i have no clue what kind of dog it was. the first image i have of it was it's ears flying in the wind then BAM i hit it. i think it was part cocker spaniel. but i honestly didn't see it's face. and it happened so fast. i was telling someone about what happened and he asked if the dog was ugly atleast. it made me laugh, but really i felt so bad. explosion of feathers! haha. i cannot get the image i saw in my mirror of the poor dog tumbling and rolling uncontrollably against the street

Old 07-01-2008, 04:15 PM
right and wrong

You really did nothing wrong and yet tried to atone for your actions. That's admirable! You did the right thing by trying to find the dog. the world would be better place if people, in general, held themselves as accountable as you seem to. This quality is rare. Most people try to point the finger of blame anywhere but at themselves. I hope you sleep well (you should). At least you tried and cared which is more than most people do.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:24 PM
5 Year Member
yeah really sucks hitting animals. i hit 3 birds in a week span with my fit last year. all of just flew right into me. no damage to me but not sure if the birds survived, all i could do was pick them up with a t shirt and move em off the road. it happens ;/ glad to hear your fit and you are alright tho. try not to worry bout it.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:25 PM
I am so sorry.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:34 PM
thanks everyone for your kind words.

i lit a candle in memorial for the dog, which i named midnight because i have no clue what it's name was. i'm such a dork, but really that poor dog!! ack. but i feel bad because it was just trying to run out and get freedom. i totally stole it's freedom, but atleast it was quick and didn't suffer

Old 07-01-2008, 04:47 PM
Retired Moderator
Thats horrible, but like the people said its far from your fault. Poor little dog though.
RIP Dog.

Tyler

Old 07-01-2008, 04:56 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
sorry to hear about your incident.

but be glad the dog did not get stuck inside your bumper forward of
your radiator.... ive seen this happen.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
sorry to hear about your incident.

but be glad the dog did not get stuck inside your bumper forward of
your radiator.... ive seen this happen.

YIKES!!! yeah my dad told me to get out and make sure the dog wasn't under my car or anything. i'm not sure what i would have done if it was

Old 07-01-2008, 06:46 PM
June 2007 3rd Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
accident

Sorry to hear that. You did the right thing. Yesterday I saw a pit bull on the highway. I wanted to help it, but it was on a busy California highway, and it's a pit bull!!!

Old 07-01-2008, 06:54 PM
5 Year Member
It was just an accident so don't blame yourself. Dogs are pretty quick so sometime it's hard to see them coming. At least you didn't run it over cause that could get very messy

Old 07-01-2008, 07:07 PM
Poor doggie.

Warewolfs beware, the fit is go.
Birds beware, the fit is go.
Doggies beware, the fit is go.

It could've been worse. It could've been a kid. That's why I'm more careful around residentials now. Kids are running around the street because they're out for summer. And it wasn't really your fault. Dogs aren't suppose to be out of their property. The owner is liable for whatever the dog does outside the property also. I feel bad for the owners though, they must be sad to loose a pet.

Hehehe.. good thing nothing happened to your BBP paint.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:12 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Awwww....

I freak when I come close to hitting squirrels. I dont know what Id do if I hit a dog.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by pokems23
Sorry to hear that. You did the right thing. Yesterday I saw a pit bull on the highway. I wanted to help it, but it was on a busy California highway, and it's a pit bull!!!
aww poor pit bull, you never know with those dogs though. that's mean if someone hit it and didn't do anything hopefully someone called animal control..

Originally Posted by Fitting
It was just an accident so don't blame yourself. Dogs are pretty quick so sometime it's hard to see them coming. At least you didn't run it over cause that could get very messy
dog guts on my fit FTL

Originally Posted by ToFit2Quit
Poor doggie.

Warewolfs beware, the fit is go.
Birds beware, the fit is go.
Doggies beware, the fit is go.

It could've been worse. It could've been a kid. That's why I'm more careful around residentials now. Kids are running around the street because they're out for summer. And it wasn't really your fault. Dogs aren't suppose to be out of their property. The owner is liable for whatever the dog does outside the property also. I feel bad for the owners though, they must be sad to loose a pet.

Hehehe.. good thing nothing happened to your BBP paint.

i was thinking that it must really suck hitting a person. i committed vehicular dogslaughter! i know it wasn't all my fault, but still sucks for the dog and the owner's. it really is sad losing a pet. and yes thank heavens my paint is ok!!!

Old 07-01-2008, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by I Am Ray.
Awwww....

I freak when I come close to hitting squirrels. I dont know what Id do if I hit a dog.
squirrels! they would have no chance. smushed under the tire

Old 07-01-2008, 09:15 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
This reminded me of 18 years ago when I was driving to work on I-64 and saw what I thought was a chimpmunk on the road - it turned out to be a
tiny little kitten chasing a leaf! He ran under my car which I pulled off on the side because I thought for sure he was dead, then I watched as two other cars ran him over but never touched him. I ran across all three lanes of rush morning traffic to scoop him off as he walked down the retaining wall! Thomas is still around today because our angel was watching over us both. My vet gave me a lecture on never doing that again!

Don't feel so bad - it was an accident and you could not prevent it from happening.

Cat

Old 07-01-2008, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member
like everyone else has said, you could not have prevented it. and i'm not going to tell you to not feel bad because it SUCKS to hit an animal. my fit's hit a bird and a baby possum and both times i was sobbing and felt horrible.

you did what you could by getting out and checking on it, even though it was too late. i'm sorry it happened though