General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Yikes! Side panel seam is molting!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 07:40 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Yikes! Side panel seam is molting!

OK guys and gals - I need your opinions. I had noticed about a month ago that the side panels that meet with the front bumper was starting to peel its paint. I had a rock chip my front bumper last weekend and had to order some touch up paint from Lester Raines. I mentioned the peeling
paint and the guy said to let them take a look when I came in to pick up the touch up paint. Those guys at Raines Honda are totally awesome! They did not even charge me for the touch up paint and came right out to look over the peeling paint. This is what it looks like:

Well, Honda will replace the front bumper under my paint warranty and there will be no cost to me. They will have to keep the car for two days and this will be OK because one of my co-workers lives a few blocks over from me. Now they can not guarantee that the paint will be a perfect match but I will get a new bumper for the front which will also take care of the rock chip - so what do you guys and gals think. Should I go ahead and let Honda do a replacement and paint or should I just use some touch up paint and hope it works. The guy in service said that the part that is peeling is plastic so it would not rust but he also can not promise that it won't happen again.

Let me know your opinions - they want me to call them on Monday so they can order the parts and paint.

Thanks for your opinions and recommendations

Cat

Last edited by Cat; 07-17-2008 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:41 PM
its a service bulletin so of course they will fix it, and you should let them so if later on there is any rust its their problem not yours

Old 07-17-2008, 07:52 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit_to_be_tied
its a service bulletin so of course they will fix it,
where do you find these? i have searched time and time again and never seen this bulletin. nor have i ever the sb on the dash rattles

Old 07-17-2008, 08:39 PM
Banned
Let them do the replacement, of course. Without proper surface prep, paint ALWAYS comes off. That will happen to your touch-up job. It's not your problem, it's Honda's problem. Let them fix it.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by gimme
where do you find these? i have searched time and time again and never seen this bulletin. nor have i ever the sb on the dash rattles
i know someone that works for honda

Old 07-18-2008, 12:43 AM
5 Year Member
Mine is doing the same thing in the same spot. My thought is this is happening because of the 2 or 3 times the front has bottomed out over steep driveways or such. Mine is not quite as bad yet so I will wait some time before I bring it in. I'd definitely let the dealer do it for sure.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:17 AM
I agree with the above; Let them repair and repaint it under the warranty so that if it happens again it's documented and still covered if necessary. You didn't mention why they told you they cannot guarantee the color match, so just in case they didn't inform you (or for those unfamiliar with body work), I'll just briefly mention the main reason. Essentially, the paint they we be applying is the OEM color as it would have come brand new. Given that you've had your car a while, the color will gradually fade over time. However, if you've regularly waxed your car you shouldn't see a shade matching issue and it should all blend in nicely.

Best of luck in the repairs. I'll be watching my bumper from now on to see if this problem comes up. Glad to know there's a TSB for it though. Thank you for mentioning that Fit_to_be_tied

Last edited by 7red7; 07-18-2008 at 04:22 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:04 PM
Cat
5 Year Member
Thanks to those of you who replied. I will give them a call on Monday and tell them I need to schedule. I have given the car at least 4 wax jobs before this happend. The car still looks as good as when I first purchased as far as the color goes it's just the swirl marks that drive me nuts.
Will post up some pictures of the replacement bumper for you guys to see how it went. I just hope I can handle two days without my MR Fit! I will have to join the Fitless crew as a temporary member.

Cat

Old 07-18-2008, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member
id recommend taping that area up once they repair it asap, i put some grey electrical tape between the two panels and i THINK it helps prevent peeling... either way it doesnt hurt!

Old 07-18-2008, 04:40 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Cat
Thanks to those of you who replied. I will give them a call on Monday and tell them I need to schedule. I have given the car at least 4 wax jobs before this happend. The car still looks as good as when I first purchased as far as the color goes it's just the swirl marks that drive me nuts.
Will post up some pictures of the replacement bumper for you guys to see how it went. I just hope I can handle two days without my MR Fit! I will have to join the Fitless crew as a temporary member.

Cat

If its a dealership and they're taking care of the issue they may give you a loaner car...

Old 07-18-2008, 04:48 PM
but not likely a fit

Old 07-18-2008, 04:55 PM
Questions for Cat

Cat - what year is your Fit? How long have you had it/been driving it? Do you park in a garage or does your Fit live outside?

Thanks!

Old 07-20-2008, 09:32 AM
Cat
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by PodRacerGirl
Cat - what year is your Fit? How long have you had it/been driving it? Do you park in a garage or does your Fit live outside?

Thanks!
My Fit is a 2007 purchased 05/17/07 - the car is kept in a garage when it isn't rolling - I even put it in the garage on really hot sunny days to keep the paint from fading. For my work it is kept in a under cover garage so it is safe from the weather. I have tried so hard to keep it in good condition because I had shown it last year and had plans to enter it in two local import shows. I missed the first one because of an injury to my knee so the plans are to have my bumper fixed , my new rims on in time for the next one in September. I am careful when washing but still have some swirl marks from a couple of runs through the hand wash place (I'll never do that again). Planned to do a clay bar, scratch x and wax job but the knee sidelined me with that. Hope to get it done before the next show.

Cat

Old 07-20-2008, 09:43 AM
If they will do it for free get it done, and you'll be saving gas those two days getting a car pool anyways

With the new one, look into getting a clear type of Scotchguard 3M clear bra or something. These cars have low budget paint and will probably start flaking within 3 years.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:50 AM
Cat
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by yeamans17
If its a dealership and they're taking care of the issue they may give you a loaner car...
My first experience with Honda on a warranty covered repair and I was told by the service man that they don't give you a loaner! When my Chevy had warranty covered repairs they gave me a car to use the entire week mine was in the shop- Oh well! My co-worker lives just a few blocks from my house so she offered to transport me to and from work while the car is getting worked on. I am going to call Honda on Monday and get it all set up. Just hope it won't happen again in the future - makes me wonder if a front strut bar might help to keep the front more stable so it doesn't do this again. I have never bottomed out or rubbed plus I don't drive it hard - well - maybe once in a blue moon I like to push it when the light changes but that's because I like seeing all those guys sitting at the light thinking What! Has anyone else noticed that the guys driving the big trucks that suck gas are driving really slow - they are like trying to conserve gas usage. It is fun to smoke an F 250!

Cat

Old 07-20-2008, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by Cat
Has anyone else noticed that the guys driving the big trucks that suck gas are driving really slow - they are like trying to conserve gas usage. It is fun to smoke an F 250!

Cat
YES!!! I constantly get stuck going behind an expedition or durango or some other monstrosity driving 10 under the speed limit on this 10 mile stretch of road with no passing areas these days. Makes me get so mad lol