General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Hey! Buy a domestic!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 10:40 PM
5 Year Member
Hey! Buy a domestic!

I live in Michigan right now because......errr umm I'm working for Chrysler. They're paying for grad school. Anyway, I was at a traffic light today and usually I just see people staring at my Fit like they saw an alien for the first time (it's very amusing). So today a guy in an F-150 pulls up next to me and I had my windows down. He looks down at me from his higher seating position and yells, "Hey! Buy a domestic!". I just laughed. He then drove off, not giving me a chance for a comeback.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:43 PM
5 Year Member
lol, lotta people look at my fit, not to many around town, plus vbp is just plain sex. But yea, I get the most ummm... like stalkeresque stares/just pure awe.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:45 PM
5 Year Member
Wow... Next time you should say maybe when domestics last longer than 2 years and have better quality than melted legos.. no idea what im saying just made it up on the fly

Old 07-24-2008, 11:25 PM
5 Year Member
lets see reason to buy domestic... well you support our economy (even though most parts are foreign made) and you support our economy by having all the nessiary repairs made on the car... sorry ill stick to honda... cant go wrong

Old 07-24-2008, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member
i had 2 fords and they both broke down before their 10th birthdays. i mean broke down like it was gonna cost more to fix it than the car was worth.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:30 PM
I would buy domestic if someone made a comparable vehicle at a comparable price point.

There is no real domestic competitor for the Fit.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:55 PM
5 Year Member
"is that a hybrid?"

i get that question all the time, lots of stares too.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:59 PM
Originally Posted by Deanwvu
I would buy domestic if someone made a comparable vehicle at a comparable price point.

There is no real domestic competitor for the Fit.
Uhh the Chevy Aveo but who would actually buy that

Old 07-25-2008, 12:10 AM
The Aveo is just a rebranded import.

And no, I personally consider it a step below, not in the same class.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:22 AM
Honda's crapping out on their cars by makin' some in Columbus and shit.

Practically buying domestic.

I still have hope in the CR-V, Fit, and S2000 for being 100% made in Japan.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:49 AM
What domestic? Today Ford reported loss of about 8.6 billion dollars. Now they're pulling in their "European models cars" to sell here. If that doesn't work, they will have to claim bankrupcy or sell to foreign company. Same goes for GM. If GM suddenly runs out of cash, they'd probably sell themselves to the Foreigners also.

Anyways...next time you should say "BUY A TOYOTA!"
Uhh...not like they'd understand because they live in the world of Mexican built cars left over from NAFTA.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:01 AM
5 Year Member
well at least he didnt tell you to "get a real car"... i still dont get it

Old 07-25-2008, 02:34 AM
5 Year Member
Can't buy mazda or volvo either if you don't buy domestic(ford). Perty sure mazda is still partnered; lol, had a mazda in the schools shop once, opened the hood...ford engine, awkward moment when I learned that). Nor can you get a mitsubishi/eagle also can't technically buy a mercedes or a maybach and couple trucking div.(chyrsler llc and ag). Can't get a saab or vauxhall either(GM).
mmmyea, I thought toyota or nissan was gonna partner with a domestic company too :/ To me those 2 seem like the same company, always have, prolly always will

Old 07-25-2008, 02:44 AM
Originally Posted by cycoxtr
I live in Michigan right now because......errr umm I'm working for Chrysler. They're paying for grad school. Anyway, I was at a traffic light today and usually I just see people staring at my Fit like they saw an alien for the first time (it's very amusing). So today a guy in an F-150 pulls up next to me and I had my windows down. He looks down at me from his higher seating position and yells, "Hey! Buy a domestic!". I just laughed. He then drove off, not giving me a chance for a comeback.

Dude, think about it, you're in Michigan.

People in Michigan don't take kindly to "foreign" cars, and the closer you get to Detroit, the more hostile they become.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:54 AM
funny i got nothing but praise to the fit, people asking about mpg all the time, and most of my friends were surprise how roomie it is

Old 07-25-2008, 08:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ToFit2Quit
What domestic? Today Ford reported loss of about 8.6 billion dollars. Now they're pulling in their "European models cars" to sell here.
ah ford's european cars are nice! they should pull in more of their european models.. my favorite would have to be the Focus ST

the US's new focus sucks, the 2.0 dohc is no where near as responsive as my fit's, the fit handles better, more comfortable, and so much more room..

Old 07-25-2008, 08:32 AM
Guys,

In all seriousness... If you can buy domestic, please do. It helps everyone to keep every possible dollar we can in the US.

The problem is, our "brilliant" domestic auto companies has decided for the past 20 years or so that large trucks and SUV's are the future, and pretty much left all small car innovation on the back burner. In a way, who can blame em?? They can make anywhere between 5,000 and 15,000 in profits on those behemoths.

Car companies are almost doing us a favor when they design and sell good small cars. They are cheap to buy, cheap to own, and they do not yield great profits for the companies....

It really would be a shame for Ford and GM to collapse over this... it would.

(EDIT to add: IF the new Focus were offered in a hatch version, like the old ones were, I would be wanting one!)

Old 07-25-2008, 08:48 AM
In 10-12 years, when my (then classic) '08 Fit Sport manual in Milano Red is starting to show some wear, I will look around and see if GM, Ford, and Chrysler are still in business and are making good small cars. Then maybe I'll consider one.

No reason why American makers can't design and make good small cars. They will need to reposition themselves for the future of high-priced gas and alternative fuels if they really want to survive. Or maybe the upper management dudes will just sack their companies and run, like so many of our highly principled financial captains have done in the past five years.

To the OP: Just keep the following on the tip of your tongue for the next time some SUV dunce gives you crap: "Forty MPG."

Old 07-25-2008, 08:56 AM
As if where its built even matters anymore. Most of the stuff is designed in america, most foreign car makers now build a lot of their cars in the united states.. err BMW, Mercedes also i think...

And doesnt chrystler build most of their cars in Canada? :-p

And why dont you tell him to stop giving the arab countries so much money buy driving a gas hog!

The ford focus and chevy Aveo dont even come standard with ABS.. ITS 2008! WTF T

Last edited by boon4376; 07-25-2008 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:06 AM
The day I go domestic is the day I die

Quick Reply: Hey! Buy a domestic!