General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fumoto Drain Valve: Best 30 Bucks Ever Spent

Old 03-23-2013, 10:25 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by MTLian
Wow. Way to be condescending for no reason. Not really "a discussion" if you put it that way. You're right, I won't buy it for the reasons I stated. When someone from a snowy climate tells me he used them for years driving over chunks of ice, I'll consider it.
You misunderstood what I said- was not putting you down at all. I honestly do not care whether you buy the valve or not and your worries are obviously valid ones. If you can absolutely prevent having a sudden massive oil leak by not buying and installing a drain valve, and the remotest possibility of such a leak is a big worry for you, then not using the valve is a wise choice.

From my decades of experience with it, backed up by others here, if it is installed and used properly breaking or leaking is so near to impossible that we users have accepted the infinitesimal risks in complete comfort.

Again, my statements are not to argue with you, but to provide full and true information for other Fit owners who might have an interest in the valve, especially those who don't have to drive over glaciers.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:30 AM
Just get the offroad clip. If the clip comes off the stock drain plug would get ripped off too.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:05 PM
Banned
^^^^^^^^

A real good suggestion. But another bit of logic is, any impact that could break the valve off of the back, or side, of the pan would be likely to crack the pan at the same time. Again, no argument and no put-down is implied here.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by Triskelion
^^^^^^^^

A real good suggestion. But another bit of logic is, any impact that could break the valve off of the back, or side, of the pan would be likely to crack the pan at the same time. Again, no argument and no put-down is implied here.
So the implied task here is to keep your ride at a moderate height until your adamantium oil pan finally comes in

Old 03-24-2013, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by krunk13
Just get the offroad clip. If the clip comes off the stock drain plug would get ripped off too.
Great pic, thanks. It kinda confirms my fears. The stock drain bolt fist rather flush against the pan. The fumoto protrudes considerably. It's probably very safe for use in any place in the USA but I think the ice + low ride height makes it a less ideal choice here in Quebec.

Granted, the probability of it getting struck by ice and breaking is probably one in a million, but I wouldn't want to have to worry about it. Just the other day I was driving and I heard/ felt a spring sound from under the car, like those old school coil door stops; something caught on some metal clip of some sort under the car hope it's ok!

Old 03-24-2013, 03:11 PM
Great pic, thanks. It kinda confirms my fears. The stock drain bolt fist rather flush against the pan. The fumoto protrudes considerably. It's probably very safe for use in any place in the USA but I think the ice + low ride height makes it a less ideal choice here in Quebec.

Granted, the probability of it getting struck by ice and breaking is probably one in a million, but I wouldn't want to have to worry about it. Just the other day I was driving and I heard/ felt a spring sound from under the car, like those old school coil door stops; something caught on some metal clip of some sort under the car hope it's ok!
lol...Im not done with mine. On my next oil change im gonna switch out the washer. There is no way to know how your valve and your oil pan threads will mesh together so you never know which way the fumoto will be facing until you actually install it. all you have to do is buy a few of the oem honda crush washers so you can orient it straight up and out of the way.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:52 PM
Only a clumsy fool gets oil all over his arm during a oil change, i perfected the art of oil change without a mess many years ago on many cars with a traditional oil plug, its all about timing and technique. Plus with oil change intervals nearly like what once a year with synthetic is it really that big of a deal? :shrugs:

Old 03-24-2013, 04:55 PM

Doesn't have to be ice or snow, imagine a piece a chunk of lumber or a truck tire carcass you accidentally run over, anything that hangs out will get caught.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by Mini_Odyssey
Doesn't have to be ice or snow, imagine a piece a chunk of lumber or a truck tire carcass you accidentally run over, anything that hangs out will get caught.
Its not gonna be hanging for long. Just remember to have some extra washers handy and you can install it at a 0 or 90 degree angle. Im at about 220 degrees

Last edited by krunk13; 03-24-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:14 PM
Banned
Only a clumsy fool gets oil all over his arm during a oil change, i perfected the art of oil change without a mess many years ago on many cars with a traditional oil plug, its all about timing and technique. Plus with oil change intervals nearly like what once a year with synthetic is it really that big of a deal? :shrugs:
Only a loudmouth who only posts for personal attention would make such a statement. My reference to oil running down your arm comes from years of oil changes on off-road SUV's with oil pans eighteen inches off the ground, and was an exaggeration to ilustrate a point. My experience with those led me to use the Fumoto on my two Fits, even though the same conditions are not possible with Fits.

My advice on this thread was sincere and based on absolute truth. No one is going to break this device off the oil pan under any circumstances of regular road use on a FIT, regardless of the "protect our asses" warning from the manufacturer. People who are dumb enough to break them off with a wrench are a completely different story, and have absolutely no bearing on their reliability when properly installed.

You will be struck by lightning or meteors a dozen times before a Fumoto valve on a Fit breaks off, unless you pitch the Fit out of an airplane at 1000 feet and it lands on its wheels. But feel free to indulge your obsessions all you want. This is not aimed specifically at Mtlian, but to all who have an interest in the product. The thread title was well chosen.

Last edited by Triskelion; 03-26-2013 at 10:17 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by Triskelion
Only a loudmouth who only posts for personal attention would make such a statement. My reference to oil running down your arm comes from years of oil changes on off-road SUV's with oil pans eighteen inches off the ground, and was an exaggeration to ilustrate a point. My experience with those led me to use the Fumoto on my two Fits, even though the same conditions are not possible with Fits.

My advice on this thread was sincere and based on absolute truth. No one is going to break this device off the oil pan under any circumstances of regular road use on a FIT, regardless of the "protect out asses" warning from the manufacturer. People who are dumb enough to break them off with a wrench are a completely different story, and have absolutely no bearing on their reliability when properly installed.

You will be struck by lightning or meteors a dozen times before a Fumoto valve on a Fit breaks off, unless you pitch the Fit out of an airplane at 1000 feet and it lands on its wheels. But feel free to indulge your obsessions all you want. This is not aimed specifically at Mtlian, but to all who have an interest in the product. The thread title was well chosen.
I have a offroad SUV as well and that's never happen. I have more functional drain plugs then something that would make jiffy lube techs happy.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:17 PM
If everyone was to afraid to try new things we would all have carburetors and mechanical drum brakes. Don't be afraid of technology.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:23 PM
Banned
"and was an exaggeration to illustrate a point."

"But feel free to indulge your obsessions all you want. This is not aimed specifically at Mtlian, but to all who have an interest in the product. The thread title was well chosen."

Old 03-26-2013, 07:17 PM
5 Year Member
Exactly! I mean, let's say I order a fumoto valve, I, like you, change my oil about twice a year so that would mean that my next oil change would be normal (since you gotta install the thing anyway) and only on the following oil change would I enjoy the convenience of the valve. Thus, after about a year, I will have saved about 15 minutes of time on an oil change. Not an incredible gain compared to worrying about it when driving over ice, although Triskilion assures us that's its impossible that it could ever get compromised.

I believe the valve is useful for industrial applications or for car owners who don't live in cold climates.

Go ahead Triskilion, it's your turn to flame again over the little brass valve you so firmly believe in

Old 03-26-2013, 07:25 PM
Banned
Exactly! I mean, let's say I order a fumoto valve, I, like you, change my oil about twice a year so that would mean that my next oil change would be normal (since you gotta install the thing anyway) and only on the following oil change would I enjoy the convenience of the valve. Thus, after about a year, I will have saved about 15 minutes of time on an oil change. Not an incredible gain compared to worrying about it when driving over ice, although Triskilion assures us that's its impossible that it could ever get compromised.

I believe the valve is useful for industrial applications or for car owners who don't live in cold climates.

Go ahead Triskilion, it's your turn to flame again over the little brass valve you so firmly believe in
Not worth my time- obsess away! To repeat, for the last time, I do not care whether you buy the thing or not. Just tried to educate people with more open minds.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:26 PM

This just allows for an almost tooless oil change (if you have ramps) and it makes it just plain easy. i believe if you make it easier for people to do things that they need to do they will be more likely to do them. So this means the collage student who lives in a crowded dorm with no tools can now go outside open a valve, remove his oil filter and be done. Yes he can do it the old fashion way but if we just kept doing things the old fashion way there wouldn't be any new technology.

Last edited by krunk13; 03-26-2013 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:58 PM
The concept isn't new, my dad had something like this in the 90s, i forgot who made it but it was like a spigot you swing over to the side and oil comes out, completely too-less, but in the end it ended up always leaking about a year or 2 later. It might of been Fumoto, this was like back in 1990s.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:29 PM
Banned
Wow! Waaaaay back in the dark ages of the '90s, eh? The drain valve that I used on my '72 Chevy Blazer, and the one on my '87 Ford Bronco (see, I didn't have YOUR off road vehicles) were made by Fumoto, but marketed in parts stores under a different name. Same valve, same trouble free performance with ZERO leaks and ZERO breakage, (even with driving over boulders, tree stumps and logs). Obviously a different valve than the one used by your father, because they worked perfectly and justified their cost.

For Mtlian- sorry about your birth defect. You know, your lack of the "humor" gene. You seem to be under the false belief that every word in every post is meant to be taken absolutely literally, and absolutely seriously.

But now I get it- your story about the "guy" who twisted a drain valve right off the oil pan by over-torqueing was about YOU, now wasn't it? Why else would you accuse me of flaming you with the off hand comment about "the price of carelessness"?

Nobody flamed or insulted you. I simply countered all of your negative fairy tales to present a balance for the millions of Fit, and other vehicle owners, who don't live in your neighborhood. To those readers, I say: Buy the Fumoto valve. They work exactly as advertised. Don't leak and don't break. 98% of the other people on this and many other threads say exactly the same.

Last edited by Triskelion; 03-26-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:50 PM
98% huh...is that good?

lol but seriously though....Its about as reliably as the Fit is when installed correctly.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:04 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by krunk13
98% huh...is that good?

lol but seriously though....Its about as reliably as the Fit is when installed correctly.
In honest and educated opinions, it is probably higher than that. I just left a lot of room for fools and fairy tale believers. The "correctly installed" is the tricky part. Not everyone can screw a threaded shaft straight into a threaded hole, y'know, and then only tighten it enough to not leak. It's rocket science after all.

Turn on the "humor" gene.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fumoto Drain Valve: Best 30 Bucks Ever Spent