General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

dash squeak!!! argghh----

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 03:46 AM
5 Year Member
dash squeak!!! argghh----

i swear-one of these days i'm gonna beat the piss out of my dashboard/cluster!!

anyone else have this one? although i can't really tell exactly where it's coming from, but it seems that it's squeaking near the steering wheel or under the panel below the wheel. or maybe behind the cluster? it only happens on the worn parts of the freeway (which most of the freeway is), at at least 40mph, and usually when it's hot outside.

it's similar to the sound that a mouse would make if you held it up by it's tail and shook the hell out of it (don't try this, please)

please help! i'm dyinn' heaa!

thanks, buds.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:53 AM
5 Year Member
i recently had a rattle manifest itself in conditions similar to yours... no idea what it is.... any one know if these things are warrentied?

Old 09-06-2008, 01:58 AM
5 Year Member
yeah, i could drop it by the dealership, but i'd rather not. maybe i'll have them road test it on my next oil change.

i also read through some of the other "dash rattle" threads, but they were mostly for windshield related noises and noises behind the radio.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:15 AM
5 Year Member
I know when my dad took his civic in to honda for a a dash squeak all they did was put a little piece of felt between the dash and the a pillar lol

Old 09-06-2008, 02:22 AM
Retired Moderator
My dash only rattles/squeaks in the winter when the temp drops..
In the summer i couldnt ask for a more sound dash...Not a rattle or noise for that matter to speak of.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:40 AM
5 Year Member
There was a thread a while back about DIY fixing dashboard sqeaks.
The sqeak/rattle usually comes from the plastic AC ducting when its cold.

Stuff a golf club rubber grip or dense foam up under the dash wedging it between the main plastic AC ducting and inner firewall area (behind radio). Need to remove the glove box to get access and reach up way in there. Worked for me.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:13 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
yeah, this has been complained about for a loooong time. No they wont warranty it, atleast my dealership wont. there is a DIY to fix it yourself.

search dash rattles i'm winning

or something like that

Old 11-13-2008, 08:42 AM
My 08 fit rattles on the top of the dash over the AC vents....I think its wires.I gotta grab a manual cause Im afraid to mess the dash up.Had a rattle in the rear deck lid...I wrapped some of the wires and its fine now

Old 11-13-2008, 08:54 AM
5 Year Member
i took mine bak to the dealers on its 1st service and all they did was stick bits of felt around the dash, this ended up creating squeeks else where, mine is at the white plastic trim beside the tini windows on the driver side, only happens wen its cold...

Old 11-13-2008, 09:27 AM
5 Year Member
yeah i had dealership fix it and then started rattlin again in few weeks...i need to take mine back..hate that stupid rattle

Old 11-13-2008, 10:44 AM
5 Year Member
when i took mine it the rattle magically went away, only to manifest itself 20 min. later... now i have another coming from the passenger door area... boo

Old 11-13-2008, 11:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bacalia
yeah, i could drop it by the dealership, but i'd rather not. maybe i'll have them road test it on my next oil change.

i also read through some of the other "dash rattle" threads, but they were mostly for windshield related noises and noises behind the radio.
Word of advice....make sure it gets sent into the main shop and not to the lube techs. Lube techs will try to figure it out, won't, then have to send it into the shop.This will result in your car being there longer, more people getting in and out of your car, etc. I'm an "express" tech bitch at a Honda dealer (it pays well while I'm in school). As much as I would love to help people out when they come in with problems like this, it only clogs up our express system and then our boss will send it into the main shop resulting in more of your time.

We don't get that many Fits coming in so I haven't seen this problem.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:56 PM
Mine comes from left front corner where dash meets window. I think the foam is too porous and allows dash to flex in corner. I can fit my arm up just enough to make it squeek but have no clue on what or how to get something up in there. I've read the one about golf club handle but don't know where to put it. Anyway I'm just as frustrated too. It kinda makes you realize how cheap it must really be. I went against my own principle of not buying a car the first year it's introduced. Ugh!!!

Old 12-14-2008, 08:35 PM
mine is coming from behind the steering wheel. It's so annoying I have to drown it out with music. I think one of these days I'll take it in and have someone there go with me around the block.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:56 AM
Let's hope this works. The dash seems somewhat stable now in the corner and doesn't have the give it once had. I did two things, got some round foam backer (found at homedepot and used for weatherstripping or something). Cut about a foot and folded it. Used gorilla tape on each end to hold the folds together. I stuffed it as far as I could to the corner (you can get your arm up in there but can't really tilt your wrist) it's a straight shot. Once I got that in there I used 3 tie wraps together and looped over the A/C duct where defrost and front duct meet and put around the steering area or bulkhead (round metal tube) that is perpendicular to steering column. Sinched it up to give some downward force on the duct at the same time squeezing the foam backer. It's pretty solid. Let you know when I test drive it today. If it works I'll take pics.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:20 PM
5 Year Member
After especially my last car (Accord) which was a rattle box, I don't want to take my rattles to the dealer until I absolutely can't reach/fix the rattle myself.

I've had quite a few rattles/noises with my Fit thus far, and thankfully, most of them are fixed by myself. I basically have 2 annoying ones remaining, one that really has to go away, the other I can live with if I really had to.

But I've been working on this rattle for weeks, everyday. I've narrowed the noise the the passenger cupholder in front of the vent. I've stuck cut balled paper towel between the cupholder and the side dash inside. It's almost gone, but I really need to dig deeper and pinpoint the exact location. I wish someone can tell me how to remove the cupholder.

Anyway, my original point was I took my past 3 cars to the dealer for noises and they not only didn't fix the noise, but ruined something else. They're clearly not competent in finding/fixing noises. We're better at that.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:06 PM
I found one rattle in the fusebox from the butt connector I used to get indie foglights. Still have 2 rattles left that won't be easy to get to...

Old 01-02-2009, 08:56 AM
5 Year Member
Holy Toledo, do I feel like I'm up a creek without a paddle. I can understand why some folks in this forum would tell us to turn up the music when it comes to the dash rattles, but what I've experienced once the cold weather hit, are a cacophony of plastic-sounding buzzes and rattles that no music can hide. I have rattles and buzzes all across the dash and in the plastic dome above the instrument panel. I took the car back to Honda as my new 2008 Fit is still under warranty. They said live with it. Since I keep my cars a good 10 years, I can't imagine living with the buzzes and creaky plastic sounds all winter long for the next 10 years.
Having just come back from a trip to Indianapolis and having spent 8 hours in the Fit over the holidays, I'm going back to Honda. I'm going to insist on some action, some padding, some noise dullers, some anything to help deaden those irritating plastic scrunching and hitting and buzzing noises day in and day out.

CarGirl

Old 01-02-2009, 09:47 AM
Amen, sister. I feel pretty uncomfortable hearing all the noises, it makes me want to drive way too slow and too carefully. I didn't notice any of these rattles when I test drove ;/ and ugh it makes the car sound so damn cheap. Honda got everything else right except this pretty annoying problem. I think we should go higher than the dealers and write letters, a petition, to Honda asking them to make it a free dealer service, explaining what to look for and where, as long as it's under warranty.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cargirl2B
Holy Toledo, do I feel like I'm up a creek without a paddle. I can understand why some folks in this forum would tell us to turn up the music when it comes to the dash rattles, but what I've experienced once the cold weather hit, are a cacophony of plastic-sounding buzzes and rattles that no music can hide. I have rattles and buzzes all across the dash and in the plastic dome above the instrument panel. I took the car back to Honda as my new 2008 Fit is still under warranty. They said live with it. Since I keep my cars a good 10 years, I can't imagine living with the buzzes and creaky plastic sounds all winter long for the next 10 years.
Having just come back from a trip to Indianapolis and having spent 8 hours in the Fit over the holidays, I'm going back to Honda. I'm going to insist on some action, some padding, some noise dullers, some anything to help deaden those irritating plastic scrunching and hitting and buzzing noises day in and day out.

CarGirl
First of all, the suggestion of turning up the radio to hide the rattles is ridiculous. Denial.

My parents' 07 seemed pretty rock solid and rattle-free even when I drove it during winter in NY. But this winter for some reason, the dash was ablaze with rattles, enough rattles that if it were my car I would prolly not care as much as if there was only 1 or 2 rattles. I would just accept it and love it. The rattles seemed to come from deep inside the dash spanning the width of the dash.

I hope my 09 won't develop any more rattles, as I have effectively fixed most/all of them, to my content anyway.

Quick Reply: dash squeak!!! argghh----