General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Mice ate my fit!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 06:01 PM
5 Year Member
Mice ate my fit!!!

At about 4000 miles, the check engine light came on. That sucks, but I figured whatever it was would be covered under warranty. I had the codes read at AutoZone and it was an EVAP thing, fuel system not holding its pressure. The dealership couldn't find anything wrong, suggested a new fuel cap. I moved to another state and took it in again. Their best mechanic worked for 3 hours trying to figure it out. Finally, the service rep came out and said that I should come look at it. The fuel tank was dropped down from the underside, but still kind of attached. There was tons of organic matter around the fuel lines. Mice had built a massive nest on top of the fuel tank and had eaten through the fuel lines and into the tank. I had to have both replaced, for more than $700, not covered under warranty.
I hate emoticons, but this one is appropriate:
That is me kicking and screaming, not laughing.
Here is an image

I can't believe mice ate my fuel tank.
The guy at the dealership said that he thinks the mice were probably already living there when I got the car and that I should talk to the dealership I got it from about it. Do you think I have a chance at getting them to pay for it?

Old 10-08-2008, 06:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nilloc
Do you think I have a chance at getting them to pay for it?
: rotfl:

Old 10-08-2008, 06:07 PM
5 Year Member
wow...I could understand finding that in some cars we have sitting at the farm...but a new one :/ and not in the field. Yea, I'd talk to the dealer unless you know you have mice around yer house that like to chill up top and apparently in fuel tanks lol.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:27 PM
5 Year Member
this should be your next modification.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:43 PM
My reply is "Helllllllll no"

You will not win this one with the dealership. There is more of a chance of the mice taking refuge at your residence then at the dealership is what they would say so don't waste your time IMO.

But GL with it......even thought I said no it does not mean you should not try.

You never know.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by Tofuman
this should be your next modification.

This mod will be nice. CP + HP= Happy

Old 10-08-2008, 11:19 PM
5 Year Member
That is balls, man. I doubt the dealership would pay for it, but you should definitely try. When was the purchase date of your fit?

Old 10-08-2008, 11:40 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
No way could you ever prove that the mice got up there before your brought it home. No way in hell. I guess you could make things difficult for the dealer, but you wouldn't make any friends and maybe all the dealers in your area would blacklist you. Sorry about the mice and your expense, but stuff happens. Poor mice were cold up there in the Frozen North!

Old 10-09-2008, 01:16 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
that sucks man. kinda reminds me of my old roommates integra had mouse traps in it cause he had a mouse problem. he caught 4 or 5 of them but the car was ruined. they chewed into the air box and put dog food in there. the car does not react well to dog food in the combustion chamber.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:09 AM
5 Year Member
Ohh, how well I can relate to this thread. Best of luck to you, nilloc.

Those of you who have not been around for a year or more probably haven't seen this.
Squirrels ate my Fit one time. Check out the link!

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...l-problem.html

Last edited by Steeldog; 10-09-2008 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Additional crap
Old 10-09-2008, 04:18 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
holy crap. i better setup my mothballs again in my garage under the cars
before they hibernate. hahaha

Old 10-09-2008, 05:23 PM
we make alot of money where i work because of rats in wiring, as an aside if you have a v6 honda watch out for rats in the valley of the engine. the will eat through the wiring harness.and not one penny will be covered by honda, although i have heard of people making an insurance claim for the damage. a $300 deductible is alot better than $700

Old 10-09-2008, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by Steeldog
Ohh, how well I can relate to this thread. Best of luck to you, nilloc.

Those of you who have not been around for a year or more probably haven't seen this.
Squirrels ate my Fit one time. Check out the link!

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...l-problem.html

Must Kill Skvirrel, Fcuk the Moose.

Old 10-09-2008, 05:40 PM
5 Year Member
someone should invent bitter tasting wire insulation... lol

Old 10-09-2008, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
someone should invent bitter tasting wire insulation... lol
funny you should bring that up, i heard someone say the reason rodents like the honda wiring has something to do with a soy based lubricant in manufacturing

Old 10-09-2008, 05:54 PM
5 Year Member
nothing like sushi tasting cords... lol

Old 10-09-2008, 06:44 PM
5 Year Member
If there is any mice crap left try and have it tested that will show how long they have been nesting there. And if its longer than how long u owned the car they will have to pay for it. There is always a way u just got to have some one who is into that field take a look at the nest and they will tell u how long its been there

Old 10-09-2008, 08:50 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 08fithappy
If there is any mice crap left try and have it tested that will show how long they have been nesting there. And if its longer than how long u owned the car they will have to pay for it. There is always a way u just got to have some one who is into that field take a look at the nest and they will tell u how long its been there
there are professional mice crap testers?

Old 11-07-2014, 11:10 AM
This is in response to Mice ate my Fit. Same thing happened to my 4 weeks old 2015 Fit. I talked to the dealer, not covered under warranty. I talked to my auto insurance company. Rodent damage not covered. I already spent hundreds of dollars on wiring repair. I spent over $100 on rodent stuff. I spray, scrub, set traps every night. I opened my hood two days ago, more damage. Holes everywhere. Wiring opened up. I am taking my car in today again for repair. I am desperate. It seems like my only choices are take it in for repair every week and spend hundreds of dollars out of pocket (I even paid $3000 extra for their extended warranty thinking this car will last a long time!) or get rid of it at a huge loss. This car has been a nightmare.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member
Wow, it sounds like you have it far worse than I did. It was a one-time problem for me and did require a new fuel tank, but then it was over. Since then, the car has been great. Sorry it's been so bad for you.

Quick Reply: Mice ate my fit!!!