General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Will Alloy wheels give problems in Michigan?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 11:32 PM
Will Alloy wheels give problems in Michigan?

I was told that alloy wheels can cause problems in Winter environments like Michigan. I was told the alloy wheels are vulnerable to corrosion that causes the tires to leak air and that they are more likely to be seriously damaged if a curb is bumped (I've slid into curbs at very low speeds before in snow/iced roads).

I've never had alloy wheels before. It sounds like these are a bad idea for cold environments?? Can I hear from people with real life experiences with steel vs. alloy wheels? Nothing to worry about? definitely go steel cause I live in Michigan?

Old 10-11-2008, 11:51 AM
I have had a 97 Jetta, 2000 Dakota, 2001 Jimmy, 2005 Element and now a 08 Fit and 08 Element all with alloy wheels in south east michigan. There is no problem at all.

Almost all alloy wheels have a paint or clear polyester coating on them that prevents corosion. Our fit wheels are no different. The silver color you see is actually paint and plating and not polished metal. Ask me or anyone else who scratched one. I dropped a lug wrench on mine while rotating the tires They will be fine in all conditions.
The auto makers actually test them in all conditions with rain freezing temps and with salt and dirt. I worked for a tier one parts supplier for many years. We had our own environmental lab to just test external mirrors for vibration and all sorts of wether conditions and could simulate many years of conditions. Then when the parts all cometogather in car form at the manufacutrer they do even more tests on the whole car.

As far as curb damage, slow down and drive easy if you are not familiar with snow driving. I can't tell you haow many people I see that take a job here and their first winter end up in a wall on I-696 or I-94. SLOW DOWN. I grew up in this stuff and in 20 years of driving, I still get a surprise or 2 every season.

I have hit curbs with steel wheels and find them to dent at the bead much easier than a alloy. Steel wheels are less than a quarter inch thick and can be dented with a hammer. Alloys are more than 1/4 inch all over and don't dent easliy. With the Fit's low body you will most likely take out your front lip than the wheel.

Old 10-11-2008, 01:20 PM
5 Year Member
lol where'd you hear about corrosion?

Old 10-11-2008, 04:13 PM
5 Year Member
jenhonski, you've been asking the strangest questions on these forums lately. If you don't mind my asking, what kinds of cars have you driven in the past?

Old 10-11-2008, 04:21 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
for the most part all alloy wheels are made of aluminum which has a corrosion resistence than many other metals. you should be fine unless your constantly driving through acid puddles. mag wheels are even better because its corrosion only happens in environments that your car would never ever see. the body panels will corrode before any wheels you buy.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:40 PM
She is asking about corrosion because they salt the hell out of michigan roads in the winter time.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:50 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TurboManGT
She is asking about corrosion because they salt the hell out of michigan roads in the winter time.
i figured that is what she was worrying about. aluminum has a high corrosion resistances to salt. iron does not have that high of a resistance.