General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Off-Brand Replacement Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 08:21 AM
Angry Off-Brand Replacement Windshield

Last week I took a rock on my windshield that produced a 12 inch crack. Unfortunate, but stuff happens.

Here's the question - I had my windshield replaced by a local glass company (one referred to me by my dealership), and once the glass was in place and I was driving home, I started noticing visual distortions when I looked out the windshield at an angle. It was VERY noticible at the edge of the passenger side. At that point I started checking it out as best as I could, and I noticed it did not have the "Honda Laminated" logo all the other windows have - it was a 3rd company.

Should I be annoyed? Is this standard? Shouldn't I have gotten a replacement with what I originally had, especially since my insurance is paying for it?

Rannous

Old 10-21-2008, 09:49 AM
5 Year Member
It's been a long time since I had a windshield replaced so I don't know what the policy with insurance companies is about factory glass. I would say, if you are seeing distortions and are unhappy with the glass, I would definitely get another replacement.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:51 AM
5 Year Member
i would be annoyed... id return adn tell them to make it like new, not cheap out, off brand or not it should not make odd noises, theres nothing wring with not using honda glass, as long as it is made to the same standards.... make them fix it, also tell your dealer they screwed u

Old 10-21-2008, 12:44 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i would call your insurance co to claim you are not happy with
the service and product you got and want a OE one right away.

whoever did the work did not explain to you he/she was going
to cut corners and use a no-brand glass. that's bad service.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:19 PM
The info I just got from the Glass company is that (according to them) it is standard these days to install Factory Glass in domestic cars, but foreign cars usually got 3rd party suppliers because of the expense of shipping something fragile like glass overseas. They CAN do Honda glass, they just have to order it and it will cost (the insurance company) more to do, but that they will do it.

Apparently, it was up to me to request it in the first place - if not told otherwise what I got is what you'll get.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member
so are you getting honda glass? and why did they use a crappy subsitute.... sounds kind of sketchy... and also there are hondas built stateside.... so there is Honda glass in this country.... or at the very least honda quality glass

Old 10-21-2008, 01:49 PM
Yes, they are going to order Honda glass and replace it, all paid for by the insurance company. I'll just have to live with the crappy stuff until they get it in.

I really haven't gotten a good answer on why they used it, outside of "that's what we use unless otherwise specified". I'm just not sure how I was supposed to know I was the one responsible for choosing which glass when I didn't even know there was a possibility other than factory glass. I forgot to use my mind reader powers.

Rannous

Old 10-21-2008, 02:01 PM
5 Year Member
that sounds kind of weak on there part, atleast they are making it right.... i dont get why they would go as cheap as possible, any auto shop by me, when they know insurance is paying for it, will go ahead and use the most expensive parts possible, example, my friends maxima got hit and needed a new fender, they guy estimating it said he could repair the fender but it would not look perfect but would save about a grand, then my friend told him the person who hit him would be paying for it, the guy was like well then, you do infact NEED a new fender, its not repairable...

Old 10-21-2008, 02:21 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rannous
Yes, they are going to order Honda glass and replace it, all paid for by the insurance company. I'll just have to live with the crappy stuff until they get it in.

I really haven't gotten a good answer on why they used it, outside of "that's what we use unless otherwise specified". I'm just not sure how I was supposed to know I was the one responsible for choosing which glass when I didn't even know there was a possibility other than factory glass. I forgot to use my mind reader powers.

Rannous
they were just trying to pull a fast one on you thinking you wont notice.
glad to hear you insurance is going to get you a new one. you did ask
your agent to give you some freebies right? like some donuts or
coffee or something for your headache. my agent is very cool...
he brings my kids stuff from time to time.