General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Newbie here, first Fit

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 11:40 PM
Newbie here, first Fit

I had been waiting to buy a Fit for my wife since they first were imported. At first, all I could find was the sport, and I don't see the sense to spoilers & paddle shifters on a car with a 1.5 liter engine. Then gas went up to $4, and dealers ran out of them, charged way over sticker. I looked at used Fits and the owners were asking as much as new one would cost.
I guess I lucked out with a perfect storm, I found a dealer with 34 fresh Fits on the lot, the banks clamped down on credit ( i was turned down for private car loans, I have a 713 FICO), gas is down to $1.45, and consumers have locked down on spending. I walked into the dealer holding all the cards. December is typically the worst month for car sales, and that's when the best deals are made. I managed to get a good discount and drive the car home that night.
I am quite impressed with that little 1.5 liter, I expected it to be a slug, but obviously the engineers at Honda have figured out that you can make up for the small engine by adding more speeds to your automatic transmission. I'm especially impressed with interior room, as I am a 6'3" fat guy, and I can wear a hat while I drive.
Anyway, I'm glad to own it, happy to join this forum, and I hope it can help me with do-it-yourself fixes in the years to come, if these things ever break down.

Last edited by diskullman; 12-12-2008 at 11:42 PM.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:51 AM
congrats on the new fit have fun with it and welcome to the community...

Old 12-13-2008, 12:59 AM
5 Year Member
you didn't even tell us what color your Fit is.

Old 12-13-2008, 03:47 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Welcome! Isn't it nice to hold all the cards at a delearship??? I don't know if I've ever been in that position, but I'd sure like to experience it.

What did you get in the end, anyway? Manual, automatic, Sport or Base, and what color, and did the dealer install any tint, stripe, other options?

Old 12-13-2008, 04:04 PM
Buying my Fit

I actually took my empty baritone saxophone case to the dealer when shopping for my (storm, AT, base) Fit... I wanted to make certain that the huge saxophone case would, ermm, fit in the back. It did without a problem.
Ever since then, I've hauled mass like nobodies business in that little car, including a big fat piano player (with huge electric keyboard), and a trumpet player built like an ox.
Actually the first thing I carried in my Fit was a tread-mill roughly the size of Rhode Island... I delivered that to someone else who needed a good place to hang their dirty laundry.

Anyway, welcome to fitfreak. You'll be freakin' soon --

Old 12-13-2008, 04:43 PM
welcome to fit freak!

Old 12-15-2008, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by barisaxfreak
I actually took my empty baritone saxophone case to the dealer when shopping for my (storm, AT, base) Fit... I wanted to make certain that the huge saxophone case would, ermm, fit in the back. It did without a problem.
Ever since then, I've hauled mass like nobodies business in that little car, including a big fat piano player (with huge electric keyboard), and a trumpet player built like an ox.
Actually the first thing I carried in my Fit was a tread-mill roughly the size of Rhode Island... I delivered that to someone else who needed a good place to hang their dirty laundry.

Baritone saxes are awesome. But I like Tenors better.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:41 AM
5 Year Member
congrats on the fit and welcome to fitfreak!

Old 12-15-2008, 12:13 PM
My new Fit is a base model, Tidewter blue (kinda looks lie a cross between blue & silver) Total base model, no extra optios or accessories from the dealer. I have already added carpet mats bought through eBay, original Honda. Even though it is a total base model, it comes fairly well loaded with Honda. If it had been Toyota, you need to add power package, and a bunch of options to equal Honda's standard equipment. I got the automatic without paddle shifters. I see little use for them unless you own a race car. I don't need navigation or bluetooth. The only thing from the Sport that I might want, is the stereo controls on the wheel, but the radio knob is only 1 foot away, so I can live without it.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:26 PM
5 Year Member
welcome! i, too, looked at the yaris, but the many "packages" that had to be purchased to make it comparable to a fit really turned me off. all those packages, and the yaris STILL doesn't have cruise control! lol

Old 12-15-2008, 12:46 PM
ski
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by diskullman
I got the automatic without paddle shifters. I see little use for them unless you own a race car.
Congrats on your new Fit!
My wife bought an 09 Fit Sport w/paddle shifters. I also thought that they were an unnecessary option on this type of vehicle, until I was able to coast at a steady 40-50 mph(50 mph speed limit) down a 3 mile long grade in 2nd and 3rd gear w/o having to use the brakes, was able to start in 2nd gear in the snow from a standstill with less chance of spinning the tires, and was able to upshift into 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears at lower rpm's than when in the automatic mode in order to decrease gas consumption. That's when I appreciated their practicality and functionality on this vehicle.

Last edited by ski; 12-15-2008 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:05 PM
I didnt know the paddle shifter were an option. I thought they were standard on all Sport AT. Well either way congrats and enjoy!

Old 12-15-2008, 01:19 PM
ski
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by NBPturtle
I didnt know the paddle shifter were an option. I thought they were standard on all Sport AT. Well either way congrats and enjoy!
Paddle shifters are standard on the Sport, and N/A on the Base. diskullman bought the Base.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:23 PM
Woops, my bad, didnt catch that!

Old 12-15-2008, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by barisaxfreak

As much as I like baritone sax, I've always referred to them as the "Golden Urinal".

Old 12-15-2008, 10:05 PM
Golden Urinal...?

That does it! ...I'm going to have to run over your toes with my Honda Fit!

Anyway, I'm glad I don't play the contra-bass saxophone!

I have driven my daughters 3/4 size double-bass all up and down the East coast, too. This is one musical leetle car.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:28 PM
Fits should run on music.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:13 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
When the pump shuts off at $15.00, that's music to my ears.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:25 PM
5 Year Member
congrats on the fit.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:01 PM
5 Year Member
You could pay ten times the price of a Fit and still not get a car in which you could haul a double bass.

Quick Reply: Newbie here, first Fit