General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Should I get wheel locks on Fit Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 05:43 PM
I live in Hellertown--the sleepiest little Mayberry of a town you could ever find, which is why I'm so surprised that my car was targeted (and it was targeted--tons of much nicer cars around mine, Priuses, Lexus, SUVs galore, that were left untouched while my wheels got poached).

Old 04-29-2011, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
tire shops also have special easy-out kind of tool as well.
Yeah, I know someone that brought her Acura RSX to a mechanic (or was it the dealership?) for maintenance. They called her to ask if she had the wheel lock key. She said no (her father had it). She thought they would just skip the tire rotation, but when she picked up the car, she discovered that they were able to rotate the tires anyways!

wheel locks are imho useless and a false sense of security.
I wouldn't say they're totally useless, but they are an extra deterrent. Do you lock your car doors when you know if someone really wants to break in, they can? Yes, because it will still keep out those who only slightly want to break in.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:42 AM
1) I am of the same opinion that installing wheel locks alone will be a deterrent.
Thieves need mallet/hammer to force the locks if they are determine to do so

2) However, after installing wheel locks, I added an impact sensor to augment the alarm system of my FIT sports to provide another layer of deterrent that if the thief tried to use a mallet/hammer to force the wheel locks, the alarm will sound.

3) There is a third deterrent which is the most costly to implement IE installing tilt sensor on the car alarm. The alarm will activate when there is a slight tilt of the car if somebody is trying to mess with the tires. I did not go for this costly method. I only went for (1) and (2) above

Old 05-17-2011, 01:21 PM
Wheel locks should be a no brainier. The wheels they swipe are interchangeable with more expensive model cars. This is one reason why they are targeted so much.

The alarms system is completely useless. If you were to get one, go for an after-market with an auto alert option. some cobra brands do this.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:53 AM
Hi everyone. I am waiting on my dealer to locate my color (polished metal seems to be in short supply), and hopefully I will soon be in possession of a '12 fit sport with 16" rims.

I want to get wheel locks asap but I'm having trouble figuring out which size to get and what my best option would be.

Based on info from this thread I looked at Gorilla 7168N locks, available on amazon Amazon.com: Gorilla Automotive 38431N Honda Ball Seat Wheel Locks (12mm x 1.50" Thread Size): Automotive

The thing is when I select the 2012 Fit from the dropdown menu, it says this product will not fit the 2012 Fit. It will fit the 2011 Fit however. Is there any difference between the two years or is Amazon's database simply not up to date?

I was also looking at the Mcgard locks, but they seem to be a cone seat. I assume that will not work in place of a ball seat lock?

So the real question is does the 2012 Fit still require 12mx1.5 ball seat locks, or should I be looking at something different.

I've never owned wheel locks so this is all new for me.

Thanks.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by MeTaLoFeArTh
Hi everyone. I am waiting on my dealer to locate my color (polished metal seems to be in short supply), and hopefully I will soon be in possession of a '12 fit sport with 16" rims.

I want to get wheel locks asap but I'm having trouble figuring out which size to get and what my best option would be.

Based on info from this thread I looked at Gorilla 7168N locks, available on amazon Amazon.com: Gorilla Automotive 38431N Honda Ball Seat Wheel Locks (12mm x 1.50" Thread Size): Automotive

The thing is when I select the 2012 Fit from the dropdown menu, it says this product will not fit the 2012 Fit. It will fit the 2011 Fit however. Is there any difference between the two years or is Amazon's database simply not up to date?

I was also looking at the Mcgard locks, but they seem to be a cone seat. I assume that will not work in place of a ball seat lock?

So the real question is does the 2012 Fit still require 12mx1.5 ball seat locks, or should I be looking at something different.

I've never owned wheel locks so this is all new for me.

Thanks.

Is it best to get the dealer OEM wheel locks? I live and work in pretty good areas but since I'm going on a buying spree with accessories for my week old Fit I may as well buy everything now while my credit card is hot.

Why is the alarm useless? Does it just blare noise?

Thanks,
Dawn

Old 11-19-2013, 12:28 PM
Old 11-19-2013, 12:41 PM
I have a 2012 Fit Sport and I got the OEM locks also the factory alarm.The thing is no locks will stop a theif if they really want your wheels they will just slow them down a tad.

The alarm might keep them from stealing your car but without motion/shatter detection
you still have to worry about smash and grab type theft.I got both locks and alarm in my deal with floor mats and a couple other things and have not had any problems.

The locks for OEM are 12x1.5 and are ball seat.If you have after market wheels you will most likely need the acorn seat lug in the same 12x1.5

Most all of your ? can be answered in this thread
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...-included.html

Old 11-19-2013, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Just make sure you get ball seat locking lugs (12x1.5), not cone seated. They don't need to be OEM.

Here, you can use these:
Amazon.com: Gorilla Automotive 38431N Honda Ball Seat Wheel Locks (12mm x 1.50" Thread Size): Automotive
I won't even try and wrap my brain around the ball seat vs cone seated (the shape over the lug nuts is my only guess)

Thanks for the link. Amazon is claiming it won't fit my 2013 Fit Spot - true or false?

Old 11-19-2013, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by zilla8
I have a 2012 Fit Sport and I got the OEM locks also the factory alarm.The thing is no locks will stop a theif if they really want your wheels they will just slow them down a tad.

The alarm might keep them from stealing your car but without motion/shatter detection
you still have to worry about smash and grab type theft.I got both locks and alarm in my deal with floor mats and a couple other things and have not had any problems.

The locks for OEM are 12x1.5 and are ball seat.If you have after market wheels you will most likely need the acorn seat lug in the same 12x1.5

Most all of your ? can be answered in this thread
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...-included.html
I just got the basic Sport package so whatever alarm is with it is what I have. It seems to be the "make noise" only alarm. Is that what you have or do you have an upgrade?

Oh and I guess I have OEM tires with the Sport package. I didn't choose anything else - hell they are the sportiest tires I've ever had.

Thanks for the link...

Old 11-19-2013, 02:59 PM
It's either:

1) They didn't update their vehicle database with the ad after 2011 or they didn't officially try using them on a 2012+ Fit and don't want to risk returns.
2) Something is different with the wheel design for 2012+ that doesn't allow those locks to work.

It says they work for 2009-2011 Fits.

I am willing to bet the former is the case and they will fit just fine. Honda OEM locks are the same for 2007-2014 Fits.

Old 11-19-2013, 03:10 PM
I have the factory alarm and it will flash lights and sound horn and shut off fuel if you try to start with anything other then your coded key.It's a pretty basic alarm but works well and offers more protection then not having anything at all.

I'm sure this is what you have and there is a detailed section in the owners manual that explains how it works.

I love the wheels on the sport and so do thieves lol
congrats on your new Fit.

Did you get the Blue Raspberry like you wanted?

Old 11-19-2013, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by zilla8
I have the factory alarm and it will flash lights and sound horn and shut off fuel if you try to start with anything other then your coded key.It's a pretty basic alarm but works well and offers more protection then not having anything at all.

I'm sure this is what you have and there is a detailed section in the owners manual that explains how it works.

I love the wheels on the sport and so do thieves lol
congrats on your new Fit.

Did you get the Blue Raspberry like you wanted?
Heck yeah I go the Blue Raspberry and I freaking love it. My absolute fave color is teal and it makes me happy to see it parked at work and home.

I can email the company and ask. I'll see what the price difference is. I take it they just slip on over the wheel nuts?

=) Dawn

Old 11-19-2013, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by graphixgurl
Heck yeah I go the Blue Raspberry and I freaking love it. My absolute fave color is teal and it makes me happy to see it parked at work and home.

I can email the company and ask. I'll see what the price difference is. I take it they just slip on over the wheel nuts?

=) Dawn
That's awesome glad you got what you wanted.I was one of the first in my area with the teal color

now I see them popping up everywhere lol
The wheel locks come in a set with a key and you just replace 1 lug per wheel with a lock.

Keep your key in a safe place since you will need it in case of a flat or when removing wheels etc.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:31 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
that lock might be too shallow on the inside. not sure, there are reviewers at amazon that stated it worked on their Fit. but not sure if it was the previous gen Fit or current. if you were a car person i would just tell you to measure the exposed thread and compare it with the lock's depth.

if it doesnt work, hell, amazon has great return policy.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
that lock might be too shallow on the inside. not sure, there are reviewers at amazon that stated it worked on their Fit. but not sure if it was the previous gen Fit or current. if you were a car person i would just tell you to measure the exposed thread and compare it with the lock's depth.

if it doesnt work, hell, amazon has great return policy.
Yep, def not a car person. If it was an Adobe question than I would rock that

I'm too type A for my own good - called Gorilla Automotive in CA and they confirmed they will fit my vehicle. Woot.

Last edited by graphixgurl; 11-20-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:59 PM
You used the telephone?

More people should do that, good on you lol

Old 11-20-2013, 04:59 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
GJ, graphixgurl.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:00 AM
I say GET THEM! If you're really concerned, get 4 different ones. They'll look at them and won't even want to go through the hassle. Too many people getting their wheels stolen cause they look good.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:54 AM
that does not mean that it is mandate that you have to keep your vehicle in a ugly looking look

Quick Reply: Should I get wheel locks on Fit Sport?